Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
I'd carry a .44 mag or .44 Special with 250ish grain Keith bullets loaded to about 950fps.

If it will see lots of rounds, I'd buy a heavier gun. If it won't see lots of rounds, I'd buy a lighter gun.

I'd keep the barrel 4" or under (that's what she said).

If not this choice, I'd get a 66 and load it with 158gr SWC's to about 900fps.

Dave

since i have a problem concerning 41magnum, the above 44loads as applied to 41 are what i am doing these days. Having said that, couple of months ago i cooked up some 358156 keith style cast bullets both gas checked and powder coated. My non scientific test was to shoot some river rock at about ten yards with these out of a 357magnum, probably in the neighborhood of 1100 to 1200fps. They cracked the rock. No worries at all about penetration.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RexM
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I carry my old S&W Model 66 .357 service revolver all the time since I moved to the toolies. It would be good medicine if a wolf decided to try to eat my German Shorthair while we are out roaming the woods and fields together.

It rides in a full flap holster, loaded with Winchester Silvertips that I got free when the department went to semiautos a few years before I retired..

I admire that model a bunch. Are you confident in the .357 for putting down stock or deer?

I've put down more deer THan I can count and a few cattle and one horse with a 357 Sig

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for sharing your photos and wisdom gentlemen. Only problem now is I'd like to have one of each of those posted to "test" out!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've gone with revolvers a lot for the use you describe, but on a quad, horse or tractor, especially when doing field work under dry, dusty conditions, I've favored my Glock 20. It has nowhere near the number of access points for dust, pollen, and assorted forms of airborne crud that s revolver has and is (IMHO) easier to clean up at the end of the day. With a stiff loaded 180 grain XTP it makes a fairly good 100 yard proposition with issue sights. Also, you've got 15 rounds on tap.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
To me it would depend on what I was doing and my load out for the day. I've carried a 629 4" countless number of days with a Keith 250 at 1200. I also carry a 686 3", Ruger SBH 4 5/8, and a glock 23. After doing a bunch of penetration tests I find the 40 S&W penetrates adequately for any protection. I feel a little more at ease with a DA then a SA revolver for bear protection. 2 shots under 10 yards is too close at near full tilt. I have both but prefer the 629 standard over the Mt revolver.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is your favorite carry companion for doing ranch chores?

We are being run over by varmits. Armadillos, feral dogs, opossums, coons, etc. I usually keep a .22 rifle behind the seat of the truck but it is almost never handy when I actually stumble onto critters. It is too light for putting down stock too. I have done it, but it is never the best option. The wife has a Glock 26 she carries when working on the farm. She does alright with it at close range, but it is too small for me. I'd like better accuracy too, and better sights. I use to have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 that did a pretty good job, but I don't have it anymore and I am not sure it would be the best option today. Any ideas?

I was thinking a TC Contender would be the thing for the truck and tractor, but even with a 10 inch barrel it is likely too much to carry when mending fences and the like.

An alternative would be an older 4 or 5" S&W in .45 or .44, but I am not sure if I could use them for the odd small game opportunity. I have looked through the .44 thread and noticed lots of folks take rabbits with a handgun, but we don't have many of those. I could definitely see trying a shot at a grounded squirrel while deer hunting, would the big revolvers be up to that? A K-38 might be a better choice for small game but I don't believe it would be ideal for putting stock down or even a small deer.

Not sure how to get one handgun for all of the various jobs. And one gun is much preferred, I don't want to try and convince the boss I need her milk money for both a new Smith and a Colt Match Target too smile

Thanks for your time,

-Rex

When I lived on a farm we had much the same thing as far as critters that could become problems. I just used my carry gun because a 9mm or .45 ACP were quite ample for dealing with most things you encounter in the lower 48, and I might as well just use what I'm probably carrying anyhow.

There were times where I was doing certain jobs and I'd choose a gun because I knew what I would encounter. I carried my K-22 when mowing grass because I knew I'd see a gopher. And I carried my 9mm Hi Power with 90-115gr +P when doing hay because I'm going to see coyotes. Otherwise, I just carried what I normally carry.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Mine would have to be a Ruger Stainless Bisley with 5.5 inch barrel. Chambered for 45 Colt.

I carry it in a Galco SAO holster and in the years I have owned it, I cannot complain in any way.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I carry my old S&W Model 66 .357 service revolver all the time since I moved to the toolies. It would be good medicine if a wolf decided to try to eat my German Shorthair while we are out roaming the woods and fields together.

It rides in a full flap holster, loaded with Winchester Silvertips that I got free when the department went to semiautos a few years before I retired..

I admire that model a bunch. Are you confident in the .357 for putting down stock or deer?

I've put down more deer THan I can count and a few cattle and one horse with a 357 Sig

Never had to deal with a horse, but I can add moose to that list.......

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put down a few groundhogs, an assload of squirrel, a few rabbits, two goats and a grinner with the HEATER

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried daily on the ranch for about twelve years. Mostly, I carried a 4-inch S&W Model 66. It worked fine for dispatching critters from rabbit/skunk size up to bovines. However, during the winter, I switched to a Glock Model 20, mainly because of the possibility of having to confront armed smugglers in heavy winter clothes. I also carried a semi-custom Colt Model 1911 made by Michigan Armament in .45 ACP when I felt like it, just because. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am faced with this same issue. I have a 466 ac farm and never know what I will come upon that needs shooting. I thought I found the answer in the Keltec PMR 30. Thirty rounds in .22 WMR in a pistol is a lot of firepower. I put it in a Simply Rugged chesty puller rig so it would always be outside my clothes at the ready. The gun turned out to be so inaccurate that I missed a groundhog at 25 feet. I sold the gun and will soon sell all the things I bought for it (holster, speed loader, brand new extra barrel and what is supposed to be the best ammo for it-Hornady Critical Defense). I am currently settled on just using my concealed carry gun (Glock 26-summer or Glock 19-winter) and a CZ 512 Tactical in .22 WMR if it is a shooter(have not shot it yet).

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carlm
I am faced with this same issue. I have a 466 ac farm and never know what I will come upon that needs shooting. I thought I found the answer in the Keltec PMR 30. Thirty rounds in .22 WMR in a pistol is a lot of firepower. I put it in a Simply Rugged chesty puller rig so it would always be outside my clothes at the ready. The gun turned out to be so inaccurate that I missed a groundhog at 25 feet. I sold the gun and will soon sell all the things I bought for it (holster, speed loader, brand new extra barrel and what is supposed to be the best ammo for it-Hornady Critical Defense). I am currently settled on just using my concealed carry gun (Glock 26-summer or Glock 19-winter) and a CZ 512 Tactical in .22 WMR if it is a shooter(have not shot it yet).

One of the best 22 mags I've come across is a Henry Lever.

That will get some grief for sure, but I've made some hellacious shots with mine, that either must be luck (I ain't that lucky) or skill (questionable as well).

The gun is just accurate & reliable.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You won't get any grief from me. Accuracy trumps all. Me? I only owned one lever gun and will never own another. Now a WMR in a semi auto-that turns my crank.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I carry a S&W M60, 3 inch while at the farm/ranch.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 4ager
A beater Ruger Security Six or GP100 in .357 would cover damned near all bases and affordably so.
Is that what you carry on your ranch, Sean?

Oh good. TRH only wants people to post about things they have direct experience with.
Sean sent out the Bat Signal hours ago. What took you so long?

Well if blue is like any other masculine guy he was spending time with his girlfriend and a couple hooked while his wife was working

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.