Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

Ready and I just wrapped-up our 6th hunt together. (Well, I'm trying to wrap it up - I'm stuck in Paris for a bit, courtesy of Delta.) We met for the first time on a mountain in Alaska in 2011, and found the company agreeable enough to have hunted together 5 times since. I had been to Germany twice, and he to the 24HCF hog hunts twice. We both longed for the mountains again, and Ready suggested an elk hunt in the Rockies. I nonchalantly mentioned that he had mountains on his side of the pond, too. And voilà, you saw his response in the other thread. The guy doesn't mess around.

Case in point - Ready fetched me at the airport, and whisked me not to our hunting area, but to some small burgh called Absam, Austria. I mean, why not take a guided tour of an alpha glass manufacturer?

[Linked Image]

Yes, Ready knows EVERYBODY, and has endeared himself to most. The factory made every workplace on the planet look like a craphole. It was more like a spa retreat from which world class optics just happen to ship daily. The company cafeteria space was more elegant than any restaurant I've been in for the last 4 months. And it's located at the foot of a mountain that leaves one speechless.

From there, we proceeded toward the next day's appointments, stopping to nosh in a beautiful village (they're all beautiful) called Vomp. (My pronunciation is poor, but I think it's like the sound your car makes when it hits a possum.)

[Linked Image]

I went through a lot of ibuprofen on this trip, what with my jaw smacking the ground at every view I saw. The alps are just friggin' breathtaking, and it never got old.

[Linked Image]

Ready & I will be updating this as we go along. Our photos are spread across 2 phones and several camera memory cards, so we'll refresh things as time and technology allow.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's awesome!!!! keep it going with stories and pictures!!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like good time where had.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
We ambled down through Kitzbühel, and into a splendid gasthaus on a mountainside. After securing provisions, we made do with a humble meal in Ready's room:

[Linked Image]

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
In their breakfast room the next morning, it became clear we were deep into Chamois country:

[Linked Image]

No, not those! These:

[Linked Image]

The black horns:

[Linked Image]

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since Joe has now gotten us down to Tirol already, I will chime in here.

As a PSA, here the link to the thread building up to the hardship:

What else friends are for?

You see, I am rather "bequem". The "...lets stay down in the Wirtschaft and have a Bier" - type.

Now, that does not fly with Joe - at all.

[Linked Image]

Constantly he will be looking "Up".

Next day after staying in the little Gasthaus found us traveling to Italy - to Southtirol - to the Dolomites.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah, the south Tirol...

[Linked Image]

Our host insisted on showing us their 700 year old church:

[Linked Image]

Then some coffee... and beers... in the town square:

[Linked Image]

And those Dolomites:

[Linked Image]

For anyone curious, the hats definitely threw-off the locals: they spoke English to Ready, and German to me.

There's lots more to the story of this part of the trip, but I'll leave that to Ready.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe,
Thanks for setting the stage.
Let's get this show rolling. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SKane

Yeah, yeah... We'll get there...

I finally dragged my azz home yesterday, and fell face-first into bed for 10+ hrs. I'll get some coffee in me, & see what I can come up with to describe our trip to the hütte. Just be aware that all the high quality pics will come from Ready - he's got the good cameras, and the skeeelz. I sometimes get the feeling that he's taken several Master Classes in photography at Guide School.

At one point, we kidded about putting all of our lens-containing devices in a pile on the hill, and taking a photo to see just how many optics it takes to hunt these days.

More than once we pondered how the Jägers of old ever got it done, in lederhosen and old style boots, and rucksacks, but with no 14x scopes, flat-shooting cartridges, s30v knife blades, alpha bins, 80mm spotters, gore tex, bug dope, internal frame packs, camelback water bladders, topo maps... or butt-out tools...

On the plus side, my tick bites seem to be healing well. sick

FC

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by SKane

Yeah, yeah... We'll get there...

I finally dragged my azz home yesterday, and fell face-first into bed for 10+ hrs. I'll get some coffee in me, & see what I can come up with to describe our trip to the hütte. Just be aware that all the high quality pics will come from Ready - he's got the good cameras, and the skeeelz. I sometimes get the feeling that he's taken several Master Classes in photography at Guide School.

At one point, we kidded about putting all of our lens-containing devices in a pile on the hill, and taking a photo to see just how many optics it takes to hunt these days.

More than once we pondered how the Jägers of old ever got it done, in lederhosen and old style boots, and rucksacks, but with no 14x scopes, flat-shooting cartridges, s30v knife blades, alpha bins, 80mm spotters, gore tex, bug dope, internal frame packs, camelback water bladders, topo maps... or butt-out tools...

On the plus side, my tick bites seem to be healing well. sick

FC

Are ticks bad there?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'mike - depends on the way of looking at it, I guess...

After 4 solid days of field Joe and me both had but two bites - on the last day, none of which got infected, it seems.

PIA - but could have been worse.

The reason for our most scenic, tirolean detour was just me tugging at any straw I could reach for to prolong "boots to the ground".

You may agree with me - see the serenity of a "Caffee Latte" in an old city square above...

We met Paolo, who is an old Gams hunter and author of books on hunting ballistics.

[Linked Image]

Paolo and his wife are natives of Tirol and very much live the hunting live - slowed down some by his on admission, but it was very interesting to listen to him explaining the species habit to us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keeping this running, while in South Tirol the Weather was striking, back in the Austria side, all was fogged up.

We met up with our host and finally (said Joe) set out for the hut on the mountain,

[Linked Image]

with a place to hang our hats.

[Linked Image]

Early morn found us enroute to the chamois... in the rain.

[Linked Image]

Even Tip was shut up - the attentions of a certain young lady might have taken his mind of the rain...

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ready
We met Paolo, who is an old Gams hunter and author of books on hunting ballistics.

[Linked Image]

Paolo and his wife are natives of Tirol and very much live the hunting live - slowed down some by his on admission, but it was very interesting to listen to him explaining the species habit to us.

Paolo was awesome! He received us warmly, took us around town, and told us some wonderful anecdotes about Hubertus over beers. He then led us back to his pad, where his wife had laid out an amazing spread for lunch. That pepperonata was friggin' amazing!

Ready & I specifically asked him how to tell the male Chamois from the females. He responded in a dead serious tone, "wait for them to pee." We were sure he was yankin' our chains, but he explained that they're furry enough to hide the sheath on the males, and the only other somewhat reliable sign is whether the bases of the horns are round (male) or elliptical (females), which is kind of hard to discern from 800 yards away through a spotting scope.

And you've probably noticed how Ready slipped in a line about, "gams". I was lost, too. Turns out that's what Deutch speakers call Chamois. Everything has 2 names. Hell, when I climbed up to the ridge, there was nothin' but kilometers for miles & miles around.

To get from the Paolo's to the hunting area, we had to pass through Mittersill. The town's traffic circle has an interesting sculpture:

[Linked Image]

Perhaps that explains why we also passed by this:

[Linked Image]

Yes, I had to have Ready explain it to this country boy. And as the natives say, "He who Laufs last, needs a penicillin shot."

To get caught up with the thread, I need to point out that Ready left out the part about Henrik (sp?), our host/guide/jäger-watcher/mack daddy of Salzburg province. He showed us up to the cabin, and had us check zero on our rifles. I'm sure I committed a major breach of protocol when I suggested we fire from the windows of the hütte, using the windowsill as a rest. We 'Mericans are resourceful, though, and it worked like a charm. However, decorum prohibited us from documenting the act in photos.

Afterward Henrik whipped out some exceptional homemade soup & dumplings that his wife had made us:

[Linked Image]

along with some some of his very own pine cone obstler (schnapps) that was absolutely killer. (pictures forthcoming). It was the trip of a lifetime, and we hadn't even hunted yet!

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 07/24/16.

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somehow, that "Laufhaus" - Joke stayed with us the whole trip.

FC mentioned the "pine cone schnaps". Here a picture of it amberly in the glasses of an evening on the hütte:

[Linked Image]

Early mourning on the hill:

[Linked Image]

Going up the hill:

[Linked Image]

Chamois - there is more than 10 in this picture...

[Linked Image]

These chamoises are tough. Known to shoot back at you appearently. Maybe Joe knew more than me about them - 'merican and all - before ridgelineing he would do the "Hat on a stick" routine:

[Linked Image]

Hours of Glassing:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Joe, thanks for the pictorial thus far. It looks like a really amazing trip and you can't find better company than Carl.

However, Carl in a cowboy hat is just wrong. Cant explain it,but for lack of a better word, it seems unholy. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
However, Carl in a cowboy hat is just wrong. Cant explain it,but for lack of a better word, it seems unholy. grin

You're probably right, but it's still but a fraction of the sin of Europeans seeing this flatulent foreigner in a Forstdiensthut. wink

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
[...] However, Carl in a cowboy hat is just wrong. Cant explain it,but for lack of a better word, it seems unholy. grin

And so there the matter shall rest, then. The Grand Poobah hath spoken.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah buttttttt...Joe looks good in any kind of hat........ grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. Keep the pics and stories coming. Bucket list-esque stuff... Wow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.