Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Well, for those of us that are required (by any number of circumstances) to forego bluing the actual working surfaces of high $$$ Chro-mo barrels, I'd have to inquire as to:

A.) Why we've all been so successful at "plugging" these barrels before they ride in the salts ?

B.) Whether or not you have any CLUE as to how we do this PROPERLY,e.g. the nuts and bolts of the operation ?

GTC

Worth playing catch up here.

Right, wrong, mediocre, foolish or brilliant,....SOME folks don't want the working surfaces of their Carbon steel barrels screwed up with porous iron oxides. Thus, one honors their opinions, doesn't argue, and makes it so.

Had to dig this gear out this AM , and seal up a 45 caliber barrel that's getting browned. I've been sealing barrels with this gear and throwing it in everything but molten nuclear waste, without one hiccup or burp, or fart, for a long time. As I noted when this thread was at the top, we're not talking rocket ship parts.

Some All thread is fitted with a Chamber plug. The Auto AC O-rings are some sorta' silicone that holds up just a BIT better than common Buna N,...I use both

[Linked Image]

Here's an assortment of muzzle plugs in the larger BP calibers, .45, 40, 375. One can note that while they've had the unmerciful piss blued outta' them, the interior faces are still as machined,...bright metal ( well almost, some of the stuff's been sitting in a drawer for years.) dab of common silicone seals the face of the Nyloc against a common ROOFING WASHER, or something out of the toilet repair parts bin,.... to seal the crown.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of the crown, sealed. Typically the rifle will have been shot, "In the White". The meticulously cleaned bore is filled with the patron's Bullet lube of choice,.....poured in molten around the all thread. The all thread has Heat shrink spaced all along it's length, ....to keep the threads from hitting the lands. If I have no spec. for bullet lube, I just use TC 1000. If you're a lead bullet shooter,.... think about this for just a second or two, you'll deduce that you are "pre-treating" the bore. That's an item that they've been discussing forever, isn't it ?

[Linked Image]

Particularly in the case of cast bullet guns, I'd say that the concensus is that they clean easier, and foul less.

I have another drawer with .30 and 22 caliber setups, and have used them on all of my own builds, in those calibers.

There it is,....my U.S. $0.02.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, for those of us that are required (by any number of circumstances) to forego bluing the actual working surfaces of high $$$ Chro-mo barrels, I'd have to inquire as to:

A.) Why we've all been so successful at "plugging" these barrels before they ride in the salts ?

B.) Whether or not you have any CLUE as to how we do this PROPERLY,e.g. the nuts and bolts of the operation ?

GTC

Worth playing catch up here.

Right, wrong, mediocre, foolish or brilliant,....SOME folks don't want the working surfaces of their Carbon steel barrels screwed up with porous iron oxides. Thus, one honors their opinions, doesn't argue, and makes it so.

Had to dig this gear out this AM , and seal up a 45 caliber barrel that's getting browned. I've been sealing barrels with this gear and throwing it in everything but molten nuclear waste, without one hiccup or burp, or fart, for a long time. As I noted when this thread was at the top, we're not talking rocket ship parts.

Some All thread is fitted with a Chamber plug. The Auto AC O-rings are some sorta' silicone that holds up just a BIT better than common Buna N,...I use both

[Linked Image]

Here's an assortment of muzzle plugs in the larger BP calibers, .45, 40, 375. One can note that while they've had the unmerciful piss blued outta' them, the interior faces are still as machined,...bright metal ( well almost, some of the stuff's been sitting in a drawer for years.) dab of common silicone seals the face of the Nyloc against a common ROOFING WASHER, or something out of the toilet repair parts bin,.... to seal the crown.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of the crown, sealed. Typically the rifle will have been shot, "In the White". The meticulously cleaned bore is filled with the patron's Bullet lube of choice,.....poured in molten around the all thread. The all thread has Heat shrink spaced all along it's length, ....to keep the threads from hitting the lands. If I have no spec. for bullet lube, I just use TC 1000. If you're a lead bullet shooter,.... think about this for just a second or two, you'll deduce that you are "pre-treating" the bore. That's an item that they've been discussing forever, isn't it ?

[Linked Image]

Particularly in the case of cast bullet guns, I'd say that the concensus is that they clean easier, and foul less.

I have another drawer with .30 and 22 caliber setups, and have used them on all of my own builds, in those calibers.

There it is,....my U.S. $0.02.

GTC

GTC, thanks for the info and pictures.

Pieter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TINCANBANDIT
you should never plug the bore on a gun that is going to be blued (with the hot salts method).
The solution is near 300 degrees and the plugged barrels will build up pressure and spew the caustic and very hot chemicals everywhere

For whatever quirk of geographic choice, most all of the outfits whose Hot Salts operations I pester, horse trade, finagle, and cajole into accessing are WELL above 4,000 FASL.

The solution is near 300 degrees

Low altitude temps there, and enviable.

The last outfit I used is just below 5,000

Up there we run over 400 * F.,....going through propane like there's no tomorrow, on a four tank setup.

The barrel sealing setup pictured / described above saw ZERO problems, through at least 6 bluing runs.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You have my apologies.....you do know what you are doing.....

My caution was for the typical hobbyist who may not understand what they are getting into....

and yes my altitude here is just under 500ft, I usually blue around 275-290 degrees.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TINCANBANDIT
You have my apologies.....you do know what you are doing.....

My caution was for the typical hobbyist who may not understand what they are getting into....

and yes my altitude here is just under 500ft, I usually blue around 275-290 degrees.

No offense taken, to any and all,...this is one of the FINEST pastimes going, the building / rebuilding of accurate rifles. It's in this realm of dialogue that REAL advances can be disseminated and good "dope" distributed. Humbly going on record to state that I've learned a whole lot here on this forum, and tend to read more than I post these days.

Funny vignette regarding the "two tone" effect that plugging the muzzle with a very concentric seal,...that being the finished product LOOKING as though it has been relined. I had two characters heatedly arguing about one of my rifles parked in a rack at a range, some years back,....one swearing up and down it was a re-line, the other yelling back that I'd just told him the week before that I only did .22 liners ( and at the time that was all I DID do).
That all-thread an O-ring set up is used here for rust bluing, as well.
Man, you do NOT want to get THAT crap into your barrel !

GTC

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info on the bore plugs. Thanx for the pix. I never worried about it in bluing, but I want to start parkerizing and this looks like the way to keep it out of the bores.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I made a sets of bore plugs for when I blue, parkerize and plate. Mine releases pressure in the bore when putting it in hot solution, only down fall that I found is if you don't remove when the barrel is still hot there hard to remove, a vacuum holds them fast. I sold alot of these plugs on ebay.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bluing at 400F Cause your at 4000'....Strange the Colorado School of trades blues at 270F and they are over 5000'.

400 would ruin any receiver or barrel by quickly turning it red.

You must be mistaken. Bore plugs are dangerous and a waste of time. Bluing does not effect accuracy. Been there done that.

Lefty C

Last edited by leftycarbon; 07/31/16.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Bluing at 400F Cause your at 4000'....Strange the Colorado School of trades blues at 270F and they are over 5000'.

You must be mistaken. Bore plugs are dangerous and a waste of time. Bluing does not effect accuracy. Been there done that.

Lefty C

I agree that it doesn't effect accuracy but I plug anyways. My bore plugs can't blow out

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

Lefty C

probably am, re: temps......perhaps it was 300°,...know it was a round #

You are mistaken about bore plugs being "dangerous".

GTC

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a factory long chambered 260 Rem 10"twist #3 taper from Douglas. It is factory blued inside and out.

That is the fasted Copper fouling barrel I own.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.