Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm going to RSA in May of this year and always planned on buying Global Rescue insurance and never using it. About 3 weeks ago I was pheasant hunting and passed out in the field. It was determined that I had a seizure. I'm 57, no history of seizures but I'm a little worried about being in Africa and having another seizure. If I have a seizure will HR automatically fly me to the States or will they say it's a treatable illness I'm Joberg. I've read some of the language on GR's website and its unclear. Thanks

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about the quality of medical care in RSA. Their physicians and diagnostics are better than the USA average by a damn sight.

Second issue, unexplained seizures are always a cause for concern prior to major travel. I'm guessing you've had a full workup (MRI, EEG, etc) and all was clear? If not, get those things done prior to travel.

Global Rescue isn't going to fly you back to the USA for a single seizure from which you recover with no further sequelae, I'm sure. They're more of a catastrophic injury/illness carrier.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Doc, thanks. Yes, had 2 MRI's (with and W/O dye, EEG, etc, all clear. Never thought medical care I'm RSA would be better than the States. My concerns are paying for medical care in RSA and blood issues.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RSA docs are superbly well-trained. I'd be very leery about getting a blood transfusion there, yes... but from all I've heard it's not an issue there now. And for seizure admissions, you'd not be looking at a transfusion anywyas.

Glad your workup proved clear. Hopefully this was a once-and-done event, and you'll be seizure free for the rest of your life. That's the most common story, btw.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Doc, thanks again for the info, hopefully it is a one and done event, I was out of it for a couple of hours, luckily I was with someone, it was a Monday and I usually hunt by myself because my friends are working.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For your medical fee concerns go to insuremytrip.com. For little more than the cost of a nice steak dinner for two you can purchase a policy for your trip. On my last trip to Zim in 2012 the policy cost me around $100.00 for $200,000.00 of coverage for my specific dates.

I have always purchased Global Rescue, MARS and travelers health insurance, but thank God I've never had to use it. It's great peace of mind though.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Mike--thanks so much for the info, I will definitely purchase it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Sako76
I'm going to RSA in May of this year and always planned on buying Global Rescue insurance and never using it. About 3 weeks ago I was pheasant hunting and passed out in the field. It was determined that I had a seizure. I'm 57, no history of seizures but I'm a little worried about being in Africa and having another seizure. If I have a seizure will HR automatically fly me to the States or will they say it's a treatable illness I'm Joberg. I've read some of the language on GR's website and its unclear.

1. If you read Global Rescue's stuff, you'll find you have to be admitted as an inpatient (not an observation patient) in order for them to fly you home. In my opinion, observation status is a scam by the insurance companies to help them get out of paying for needed hospitalizations.

2. Remember, the world's first heart transplant was done in South Africa. I think the quality of care may have been going down there but last I knew it was still pretty good.

3. As noted above, a first seizure is always worrisome. It can be as simple as a scar from an old head injury or something else. You might consider discussing with your doctor repeat imaging in 3 to 6 months even if you don't have another seizure during that time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if TRICARE would cover me internationally?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
TRICARE barely covers us Nationally

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Global Rescue will transport you to the hospital of your choice, (presumably your home area hospital) if you need hospitalization or are unable to travel commercially due to a medical condition. I have carried it for twenty years and fortunately have never needed to use it. I have a friend that needed transport from Zimbabwe due to a back injury sustained in the bush. Was transported to Jo'burg for stabilization and a few days later Global Rescue delivered him home to Texas as he was not able to sit upright and fly commercially. Give Global Rescue a call to discuss. They are easy to talk to and will explain any and all details.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
For your medical fee concerns go to insuremytrip.com. For little more than the cost of a nice steak dinner for two you can purchase a policy for your trip. On my last trip to Zim in 2012 the policy cost me around $100.00 for $200,000.00 of coverage for my specific dates.

I have always purchased Global Rescue, MARS and travelers health insurance, but thank God I've never had to use it. It's great peace of mind though.

Mike

What health insurance did you use?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dieselfitter
TRICARE barely covers us Nationally

No chit !! But if you were a congressman, senator, Dept director, you'd have nary a worry.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just looked back at my paperwork from 2012 Dennis and it was Travel Guard/Chartis. I was off on the cost I stated earlier as the policy did cost $171.00 for my 17 day travel period. It was their "Sportsmans Travel Protection Plan 008537 P1". It included $500,000.00 emergency medical insurance along with some other things like lost luggage, accidental death, etc.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
OK, thanks

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about the quality of medical care in RSA. Their physicians and diagnostics are better than the USA average by a damn sight.

haha
no wait, you were serious?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ran into Global Rescue employee in Dulles last trip . He had just arrived with a client and explained to me what he did, and it appears to me that they really do what they say they will do.

I've been a G R member for several years and so far... so good, have not needed them.

Came close twice, but survived with out them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just bought a family membership with Medjet. Not sure whose service is better but medjet had far less restrictions on when they would move you. That was what caused me to decide that way.

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
dennis--thanks, I'll have to check Medjet out for the next time, I could never get a straight answer from GR on when they would and would not come and get you. My friend who went to RSA with me also had GR and about a month after we returned from RSA he had another heart attack, he's OK (stent inserted) but I'm glad it didn't happened in RSA. I bought TravelGuard medical and dental insurance for I believe $289, my friend did not because it was around $500 because of his age for the 10 days we were out of country.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I wonder if TRICARE would cover me internationally?

Probably not, but the VA will. whistle

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.