Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11325522 07/22/16
C
coach71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Do you guys think these vise marks can be made vertually invisible? How?

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

GB1

C
coach71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
... and from the discoloration at the front, does it look like it was heated too much?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Need better pics, Mate.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
coach71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Click on pic to get higher resolution, or need better yet?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Need better pic to see the depth of the scoring. From that pic though, I'd guess the marks could be stoned out before you lose the Winchester stamping. Of course it will need to be re-blued too.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bead or sand blast then blue, that will hid scratches, file marks, and vise marks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Draw file the side and then wrap your file in progressively finer grits of emery cloth and polish the file marks out. Bead blasting will not hide vise or file marks unless they are so small as to be nearly unnoticeable to begin with. If it does you are either using driveway gravel for media or you have the air pressure way to high.

It shouldn't be a problem though, I have a 257Wby I built on a free M70 someone had marked up by removing the barrel aith a pipe wrench. It was way worse than yours and it cleaned up fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gemby58
Bead or sand blast then blue, that will hid scratches, file marks, and vise marks.

Horse chit.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Horse chit.

Never used horse chit how does that work

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Horse chit.

+ 1

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Horse chit.

Think I said hid them not eliminate them, i don't think he's making a show piece, if he was he wouldn't be using a damaged action to start with. If the OP brought his action into my shop and wanted it done right, I would not polish, draw file, sand the marks away. I would electroplated the area where the damage was then reblue the action to his desired finish

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So, your electroplating process will hide scratches, file marks, and vise marks ? Amazing...

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The answer is YES, and yes it is. You still didn't tell me how horse chit works

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sure would like to see some of your work, you know, before and after. Horse chit is sorta like bull chit. And I'm sure you know how it works. And so do I.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Now you have to electroplate it before you bead blast it to hide the scratches? That sounds like a heck of a lot more hassle than 20 minutes with a file and some sandpaper.

I've bead blasted literally hundreds if not thousands of guns with glass beads and garnet of various grits. Unless you're using huge grit or your pressure is turned up to mega high PSI blasting anything but the smallest of scratches will not disguise them. Heck lots of the time it seems to magnify them.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TheKid
Now you have to electroplate it before you bead blast it to hide the scratches? That sounds like a heck of a lot more hassle than 20 minutes with a file and some sandpaper.

I've bead blasted literally hundreds if not thousands of guns with glass beads and garnet of various grits. Unless you're using huge grit or your pressure is turned up to mega high PSI blasting anything but the smallest of scratches will not disguise them. Heck lots of the time it seems to magnify them.

I think I said if he brought it into my shop that's what I would suggest. If he wanted a utility or working grade finish I would blast and blue, maybe lightly polish. And good for you and since we're doing resume. When I worked blueing for one of the major gun manufacturer here in the US, I done that many (hundred if not thousands) in one month. Since quiting there and going on my own I done a few thousands. I offer 5 types of blueing, 3 types of parkerizing, 18 different types of plating, powder coating, and every type of spray on bake on finishs they they came out with.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's great but I'm still curious as to why you would recommend electroplating? What type of electroplating hides scratches? Every type of plating I've worked with magnifies imperfections.

Does your business have a website? I've never know a single shop to offer so many different finish options, you must have a pretty large operation I'd like to have a look at some of your stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

exactomente

GTC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
1000s in a month? Wow, you're fast!

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That's great but I'm still curious as to why you would recommend electroplating? What type of electroplating hides scratches? Every type of plating I've worked with magnifies imperfections.

Does your business have a website? I've never know a single shop to offer so many different finish options, you must have a pretty large operation I'd like to have a look at some of your stuff.

Come to PA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.