Print Thread
Hop To
#11324509 07/22/16
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Sometime in the next 4 years I'll either get stationed back in AK, or after 4 years I'll retire from the AF and moving straight back to Wasilla.
While I've lived here in Maryland I've gotten into home brewing beer pretty heavily. I'm wondering if anybody has, or knows anybody who has grown hops up in the South Central area. I think it would be pretty cool to brew my beer with my own home grown hops, but wondering if they do well up there. I'd imagine the plant would grow ok, but do they get time to grow cones before it gets too cold out?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they grow most of Budweiser's hops next door here in Bonners Ferry, Id. our weather is very close to the Mat valley.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
they grow most of Budweiser's hops next door here in Bonners Ferry, Id. our weather is very close to the Mat valley.

Budweiser uses hops? Who knew? grin wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see why not. I've got 15+ year old vines that grow well here on the puget sound.

I cut them to the ground around October and they come sprouting up every spring.

Plenty of sun and keep them somewhat warm, I'd bet they'd grow just fine.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I was thinking the same thing, lots of sunshine in the summer (about 20 hours worth per day for a while), and plenty of rain. Hops are basically a weed so they grow pretty well. I'm just concerned the growing season is too short for them to produce cones. I guess there is really only one way to find out.
If anybody has had success I'm curious to know what species of hops they've had success with. I was thinking about growing Cascade, Centennial, or possibly Citra.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have two varieties and they do well here in eastern Oregon at 4,500 elevation. We can only do sweet corn or tomatoes about 1 out of 3 yrs because the growing season is too short for those.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are ways to augment the growing season, hot beds or green houses. I'm sure if you really want to grow hops in SC there is a way.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Budweiser uses hops? Who knew? grin wink

+1

laugh laugh

IC B3

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A neighbor had some. They grew like crazy but never had many blossoms. I think if you had a Southern exposure and warmed the beds with a cover eg. visqueen, to improve and extend the season you may improve the odds. Worth a try.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the link John.

That's what I was afraid of. Might be worth it to drive down to homer and see if that guy can show me how he's doing it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I'd be interested I giving this hop thing a go .....and I will let u want they do ....I have been growing broccoli for 4 years ...I allready have been eating my brocli and caluflower along with 5gallon buckets full of tomatoes zuchine …All outside,both shop and house fall between 150-185 degs with 159 being my S ...do u just split a root to start them ? I sent some of my berry shouts to TX..last I heard they were doing fine..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
GROWING HOPS
Basic Requirements: Plenty of space. Since healthy hop plants can grow up to 1 ft in a day, space is definitely an element to consider before planting a hop yard.

Site selection. The ideal hop yard must have direct sunlight, easy access to water, and plenty of room for vertical growth. Space along fences, garages, or property lines hold potential as hop yards. Hop vines also need a strong support system to grow successfully; tall poles and strong twine are commonly used to support the growing vines. Growers should avoid sites with electrical wires nearby because of potential problems caused by sprawling vines.

Soil. The soil must be loamy and well drained with a pH of 6.5-8.0. Because hops use large quantities of water and nutrients, the soil needs fertilizers rich in potassium, phosphates, and nitrogen. Home growers can use manure compost and commercial fertilizer for this purpose.

Climate. Wherever the hops are planted, a minimum of 120 frost-free days are needed for hop vines to produce flowers. When the stems break soil, you must support vines off the ground to prevent disease and ensure proper growth. The vines keep growing until mid-July, when most hops are either in full bloom or past bloom, depending on the variety and location. Healthy vines can produce 1-21/2 pounds of dried flowers per plant.

http://www.morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.