-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So hot - I saw tweakers putting copper back INTO the A/C units.

Bout 17 years ago I worked at a lime plant. Drove front end loader, monitored processes etc.

Anyway - when we'd shut a kiln down for maintenance - the instant we cut the flame, it would drop 1800 degrees in the kiln. Open both ends and let it rotate 5-6 days before it would cool off enough to go into it.

Spent a lot of nights in there with an air chisel, knocking out the ash ring and replacing lining blocks. Had dust masks fall off your face and shoes start on fire as there was still too much heat in the kiln.

That was hot. And I don't ever want to get back to it.

One of the kilns on the right bottom - long horizontal tube.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by teal; 07/23/16.

Me

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
105 with the heat index and we are putting on a black roof today.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roof
105 with the heat index and we are putting on a black roof today.

You're a glutton for punishment or, awful hungry! (Might be trying to keep from getting hungry) smile

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It was hot yesterday, but we'd planned to go to Mammoth Cave anyway. We're on vacation, and the in-laws are in town, so we went deep into the ground, and it was a sweet, wonderful 55 degrees down in that hole.

Blissful, until we got out, and hiked up the hill into the muggy Kentucky heat. Thankfully, the A/C was working well in the car on the way home.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Everyone ought to have to go to S. La. and spend one of those afternoons when it's 95 degrees and then clouds up for an afternoon shower, then the sun comes back out around 3-4 pm. The temp will cool down during the shower, but rise again when the sun comes out. With the ground and air wet, the humidity with be in the 80%-90% range.

Miserable does not describe it.

10:55 am - 93 deg - 63% hum - 110 heat index

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Some folks might agree with that idea, JoeBob.

But not meteorologists.

Sure they would as that my dad was one in the Air Force and first explained it to me. As he said, in our part of the world, you won't see consistent 100 degree temps until the grass turns brown.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T LEE
100 on the carport in the shade right now, humidity78%.

It is the middle of winter here and it is currently 2.5 Celsius (36.5 Fahrenheit) as I sit here at 2.08 am, IT IS COLD!

There you go T, did that help?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I'm not complaining, fortunate to be working.

100 degrees on an iron rig in the gulf isn't a joke.

No, it is not!

One of the easiest ways to fry your azz I know of.

Hope you're wearing some long sleeve cotton shirts and something on the back of your neck, brother.

Last edited by local_dirt; 07/23/16.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Everyone ought to have to go to S. La. and spend one of those afternoons when it's 95 degrees and then clouds up for an afternoon shower, then the sun comes back out around 3-4 pm. The temp will cool down during the shower, but rise again when the sun comes out. With the ground and air wet, the humidity with be in the 80%-90% range.

That's what my Dad tells me every time I complain about the heat here. He learned the carpentry trade framing houses in S. La. in the 1960s. He also said they would only knock off when the temp. and humidity added together was 180 or better.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I lived in Houston for six years. Same, same.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It was 94 here and humid and sunny yesterday . It was so hot the channel cats wouldn't even bite , not even using stink bait. Today , 92 and very cloudy, not nearly as bad with dark clouds.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Was reading in my book for fire school next week on haz mat classes.

Found a heat index guide in there from weather service.

So I got up to look at our outdoor thermometer thats in the shade.

106. Looked up our current humidity. 45%.

Heat index? 130.

Was working on replacing trailer boards after that, couldn't get the screws loose and had to go to town to buy a bigger torx bit. Walmart and grocery store were much more pleasant...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, some sinner left the gate open. I fished today against my better judgment for about an hour and said screw it at about 9 am. I was up at my new place trying to keep my apple trees alive. I watered at 8 and at 9 right after I finished fishing. I caught 7 or 8 sunfish and a few bass.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't wait till this hell is over, summer is from satan!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Speaking of attics, last year we not only had extra blown-in insulation added (to R-50) but before that we had heat barrier reflective film (think Space Blanket) installed to the roof rafters. We also replaced the 110v roof fan with a solar unit (If it's sunnin' it's runnin'!)

Holy smoke what a difference! Instead of the usual 130-150° up there in the summer, it now barely gets above ambient. That means MUCH less heat for the insulation to block.

Thirdly, we had the exterior walls filled with non-expanding water-based foam. Outside sound was cut by at least half, and the inside walls stay cool to the touch all day - and night.

Yesterday, although it hit 100°, our Air Con unit didn't come on until after 3 pm with the thermostat set at 75°. The house just doesn't heat up, period.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Oh well, 1G on the mountain...

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Randy, Peggy's Dad was born in Eurdora, AR. On the AR, LA, MS borders.

I've been in the south in August, and yes, it can me miserable, or worse. I've been in Jackson, MS, New Orleans, and all over the south. The worst is getting out of the shower and feeling like you need to shower again before you're even dried of from the first one.

I can see why so many of the catfish & cornbread boys move west.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It ain't the humidity as much as the Dew Point that feels so damned uncomfortable. Short version is that Dew Point is the measure of atmospheric moisture.

When its in the 50's it feels about perfect. Below 50* it starts to feel a bit dry. 60*F to 70*F it starts to feel muggy (humid). Over 70*F is downright tropical. Over 75*F asthmatics have trouble breathing.

It's the temp at which dew forms on the ground and also the temp that causes fog when the air is saturated with water.

More damn useless information I was saving for Jeopardy some day. laugh

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dew point here/now is 80 degrees F.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

We spent a week in Thibodaux last July and just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Those afternoon showers coupled with the heat was brutal. I sure do love your beautiful state but you can have that heat.

Today it was about 80 here but the heat index on our little island was a more comfortable 75.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 2UP, 257 mag, 21 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.