Print Thread
Hop To
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My 25 year old garage floor is very cracked and settled. Its a 3 car garage, what would it cost to remove and replace?
Any guesses?
Thanks

Last edited by dale06; 07/22/16.

NRA Patron
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remove existing concrete with a skid loader; jack hammer first then bucket, truck and haul 10 miles, will costs about $3.00/s.f. + $50.00/mile.

Evaluate sub-base by a soils engineer; determine why the floor cracked. You will have to pay the engineer something.

Mitigate problem soil conditions. This could be the most expensive component and it's impossible to estimate because you don't yet know what the problem is.

R&R sub-base, provide and compact structural backfill, will cost about $200/cubic yard. If the garage is 1,000 s.f. and you have to remove 18" soil then the cost would be about $11,000. That's just one possible solution. Don't know if that will solve the problem until engineer has evaluated.

Another possible solution could be that all you have to do is recompact the existing sub-base. That would be a lot cheaper.

Since you live in Minnesota and assuming that the garage is not heated, then your problem may be subsurface moisture freeze/thaw. If that's the case, then you have to determine where the moisture is coming from and deal with that first, then recompact the sub-base.

Provide and install new 4" concrete (3,000 p.s.i., max 5" slump) with 6x6-10x10 welded wire fabric will cost about $6.00/s.f.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KC, you looking for work? i need a good concrete man. have a few tunnels to build.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by KC

Remove existing concrete with a skid loader; jack hammer first then bucket, truck and haul 10 miles, will costs about $3.00/s.f. + $50.00/mile.

Evaluate sub-base by a soils engineer; determine why the floor cracked. You will have to pay the engineer something.

Mitigate problem soil conditions. This could be the most expensive component and it's impossible to estimate because you don't yet know what the problem is.

R&R sub-base, provide and compact structural backfill, will cost about $200/cubic yard. If the garage is 1,000 s.f. and you have to remove 18" soil then the cost would be about $11,000. That's just one possible solution. Don't know if that will solve the problem until engineer has evaluated.

Another possible solution could be that all you have to do is recompact the existing sub-base. That would be a lot cheaper.

Since you live in Minnesota and assuming that the garage is not heated, then your problem may be subsurface moisture freeze/thaw. If that's the case, then you have to determine where the moisture is coming from and deal with that first, then recompact the sub-base.

Provide and install new 4" concrete (3,000 p.s.i., max 5" slump) with 6x6-10x10 welded wire fabric will cost about $6.00/s.f.

KC

Garage is lookin a whole lot better now, isn't it Dale?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
PM krp.

He's a pro.

Jeff

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
KC, you looking for work? i need a good concrete man. have a few tunnels to build.

deerstalker:

I'm a retired architect. Now I hunt, hike, and lounge around sipping on cold drinks.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
PM krp.

He's a pro.

Jeff

Jeff is right. I met and talked "the business" with krp at one of the Arizona get-togethers. He knows what he's doing and he probably has a more current handle on prices.

KC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who said that garage floors have to be concrete surfaced? Find a company like these guys in your area and never worry about your floor again. I've got about fourteen hundred square feet of this surface and the only way to damage it is with a sharp piece of metal.

http://www.cascadefloors.com/

Impervious surface, no cracks and no skid.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As an alternative to total tear-out and reconstruction, you might want to do a search for "mud-jacking" or "slab-jacking". Not sure where in MN you are located, but anywhere near Mpls should be a number of companies doing that service. Not a cheap proposition, but certainly less money and less invasive/messy than full blown reconstruction. The construction & engineering companies I have worked for in years past have used mud-jacking on a number of projects with good/satisfactory results. My Dad had his driveway brought back to "normal" with mud-jacking. Even saw a BIG slipformed grain storage facility brought to "plumb" with mud-jacking . . . and it looked like the leaning tower of Pisa.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.