Print Thread
Hop To
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Inbound 7Maggie Sendero-ish build coming and looking for a new optic.

Been looking at Bushy LRHS in 4.5-18 (MOA) or VX6 3-18 CDS ZL both non-illuminated.

Both fit the magnification range and objective sizing I am after. Cost at retail is a close-enuff draw IMO.

However, reliability of turret tracking, eye relief/eye box are paramount.

OR...save up few more $$ and go NXS but with a size penalty?

I am all ears fellas!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have the higher mag leupold, but I have 3 of the 1-6 for hunting. The eye box is uber. I also have two of the 4-18 lrhs in mil, and it is super nice for long distance, and it tracks really well. I use it for silhouette shooting, so it is always being cranked. Both are top line scopes. I am keeping the VX6 for hunting, and the lrhs for target stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't speak to the ER/EB of the 4.5-18 LRHS, since I have the 3-12x, but if reliable turret tracking is important to you, then the LRHS is your huckleberry. The 3-12x has very forgiving ER/EB, as does the VX6. If the 4.5-18 is as easy to get behind, I'd not hesitate to go that direction.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Can't speak for the VX6 but the Bushy is way nice, tough, repeatable and will leave you not wanting.

The Bushnell is heavier than the VX6.
The Bushnell is FF plane optic and assume the VX6 is 2nd focal plane.

Depends upon what you want, I chose the the Bushnell for FF plane and track record of repeatable adjustments.

W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thx fellas, keep the info coming!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not a Huskemaw? 5-20 or 4-16

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a 4.5-18 LRHS (mil) on my 30-06 for about 7 months, and used it to shoot long-range steel/rocks for fun. I put a few hundred 155 scenars downrange with it, and can confirm it really is an excellent optic.

Tracked perfectly.
Excellent glass.
Good eye relief.
Great, positive feeling clicks on the turret.
Overall great scope.

Ended up selling it because FFP doesn't fit with the style of hunting I do, and whilst it (FFP) was great when shooting long range, it proved to be a hinderance when hunting at close-ish range in timbered forest. A plain G2 would have been nice also, rather than the G2H.

Would absolutely love to see a SFP version of this optic. Overall would definitely recommend it if it fits in with what you want to do.

You only live once.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SFP v. FFP is a very significant fork in the decision tree.... nothing is without compromises... there are some superb SFP "dialing" scopes available.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The lrhs 4.5-18 isn't the best "all around" hunting scope, but it wasn't intended to be either. It is a wonderful tool for mid to long range (it's intended use). Tracking is perfect and it's easy to get behind. The reticle works very well at mid to long range while still being usable closer in. FFP allows me to use the reticle for windage at any magnification. The 24 MOA elevation turret lets me get past 1000 yards on a single revolution. I've become a huge fan of this scope.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can only speak to the Bushy LRHS and that in very limited terms--I have one but have not worked it out fully yet. So far, though, very impressive.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If/when I buy a FFP scope, the only two in consideration are the LRHS and the NF NSX 3.5-15x50 F1. I trust Jordan and George and Pat etc that the LRHS is awesome.

Hate to bash Leup but they wouldn't even be in the running.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have owned NF optics since before there was an NXS line and have owned the NXS and the F1 BEAST. They are great optics and if I were funding my own equipment for combat I would buy them again. If I were buying one for a hunting gun it would be one of the NXS 2.5-10x models or one of the SHV models.

For the past couple of years I have been shooting the Bushnell HDMR in competition and liked it so much I bought the LRHS. They are the best buy in rifle sights right now; good reticles, spot on adjustments,and good glass.

I've used Leupold for years while working in a gunshop and then afterward in the military on long guns. They are fine but where they shine is the glass has good color. The adjustments are not as good as other sights and they cost too much for what you are getting. I also do not understand why a person would choose the CDS when you can just get dials with MoA or MRAD since the CDS may not be spot on all the time; you will have to shoot CDS plus or minus.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
do you want more of a hunting scope or a tactical scope? what game are you hunting?

Jay Wiggins

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.