Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I went earlier today and ran some loads through the chrony,I brought one box of 22 rimfire 36 gr winchester hollowoints that are advertised to run 1330 fps and shot them through my Ruger carbine, I beleive it has an 18 inch barrel. With no shadow and the sun at three oclock they averaged 1310, with sun at about the same position and black carboard placed on both sides completely shadowng the photo eyes I got an average of 1297 fps, not much difference. I then fired a 223 handload using the black cardboard to shadow the photo eyes, that load read 2890,I then removed the cardboard and turned the chrony slightly so that the photo eyes were completely shadowed by the diffusers, same load read 2945, all the rounds read higher than the rounds fired with the black cardboard and the exreme spread was much lower also.

I then tried another different load using the diffusers to shadow the photo eyes, it averaged 2962, then I went back to using the cardboard to create the shadow and fired the same load, it read 2954, this time the average velocity difference was much smaller with this load however the extreme spread again was much smaller when using the diffusers to create the shadow, I fired another string about twenty minutes later using this load using the diffusers to create the shadow and the average velocity dropped 32 fps, I noticed that the sun had moved and was slightly higher in the sky. Both methods seem to work but I like the carboard method best because I think it keeps a consistant shadow regardless where the sun is located however which method produces the correct velocity is the question that I would like to know the answer to, any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have mine attached to the barrel, and I get data, and I am done. No silliness.

Other than shifting POI, and grouping not necessarily being the same as with the naked barrel.

I've seen these effects demonstrated on different, accurate rifles with varmint contour barrels.

Shoot 5 or 10 rounds into the backstop and you have a real good look at numbers like velocity or SD. You can also piss away 10 shots on poor lighting using screens, and get erratic data you can't trust. Magnetospeed is pretty cool, I think it saves time and effort. I would not hang it on a barrel and shoot groups though, but that is not required to get solid chronograph data.

I don't have lighting problems with my Oehler 35P. Also, I like to evaluate grouping while I work up velocity.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I've never had any problem with getting consistent readings with my 35P either--and there are other inexpensive light-screen chronographs that are more consistent than Shooting Chronys.

I've got a Magnetospeed and if I shot a lot on public ranges I'd probably rig some sort of stand for it, so I could test velocities at the same time as groups--or sighting-in. But the only time I shoot on a public range much is after I've worked up a load, and want to take advantage of a bunch of gongs out to 1000 yards. Consequently I loaned a friend my Magnetospeed after his old Pact broke down. That was several months ago and I haven't missed the Magnetospeed enough to ask for it back.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Setting up the Oehler isn't nearly the ordeal some ADD types would have you believe either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Setting up the Oehler isn't nearly the ordeal some ADD types would have you believe either.

I dont find it hard at all. But some just want instant gratification.

Swifty
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 69 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.