OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Or is it just me?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They hit the fu cking wall way back in the time of the great depression. Some people are just too slow to learn this.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They hit the fu cking wall way back in the time of the great depression. Some people are just too slow to learn this.

Yeah, that's it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Speaking of slow.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not sure I understand the question....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that there have been significant improvements/advancements in bullet and optics technology over the past 50 years, but no similar revolutions in rifles or cartridges. Nobody can predict what will happen over the next 50 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement for hunting rifles without compromising our sporting ethics. Some would argue we've already gone a bit too far in some ways. We could maybe use some better hunters (I include myself here).

New target games can always be invented or rules changed as new technologies emerge, maybe featuring rapid fire or multiple targets at long range to further challenge the participants. Lots of possibilities exist here ( think 1000 yard dueling trees or some kind of long-range whack-a-mole).

For the military, the sky's the limit. Some of this new laser gear being deployed is amazing. Portable units for soldiers won't be far off.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Or is it just me?

I hope we are talking about performance, not price! grin

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Hunters are becoming less experimental and more conservative. I would not want to introduce a new cartridge into this climate if I were a gunmaker. It's risky enough offering a once popular round that has fallen out of favor into your lineup. And forget any new lever, pump, or sporting autoloaders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pappy348,

I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement for hunting rifles without compromising our sporting ethics.

This doesn't make any sense to me. For me lighter is better. I purchased a titanium action; an improvement. To go with that I purchased a carbon fiber barrel; an improvement. To go with that I purchased a Kevlar stock and a micro-cell recoil pad to save a few ounces; both improvements. When I was young I carried an eleven pound rifle. Now that I'm in my seventies I carry a seven pound rifle.

We've been killing animals with way more technology than the animals have for generations. What does it have to do with ethics?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Or is it just me?

i doubt it (assuming I understand the question).

All trends have been toward hitting stuff further away,and using technology to make it easier for shooters.

Hunting will be less of a factor as the number of hunters and affordable hunting opportunities continues to decline. Most shooting will go to the match/tactical guys.I think we are already there.

More shooting will center around target/match /tactical type stuff. And we will see caseless cartridges, remote control rifles and scopes that automatically do the aiming ,compensating,and shooting for those lacking skills.

There will be a decline in basic skills as technology in scopes and rifles compensates for personal competence. We already see these trends in hunting.

"Hitting" will become easier but the trend will be to remove the elements of human error from the equation to the extent possible, thus the decline in personal skill sets. Less stuff to figure out. The gear is gonna do it for you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm one of the dinosaurs who prefer Round Nose Bullets....

so I'm not qualified to answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im the same, hunting distances aside a well manufactured round nose bullet will typically give more reliable expansion and terminal performance at normal hunting ranges of less than 200m. Sectional density and a reasonably fast twist only aid the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

Nothing wrong with that. Always loved 180 and 220 RNCL out of an Aught Six.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see you're thinking Bob. I think I've become Elmer Fudd in an ultra tacticool world.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see you're thinking Bob. I think I've become Elmer Fudd in an ultra tacticool world.

16: Of course I am just speculating. But it isn't hard to imagine. I just saw them advertising bow sights that make 100 yard shots a piece of cake. smile

Imagine what they can do with rifles,scopes and computer chips in the future?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Have a bunch of .375" 270 & 300 gr Hornady RN. They work very well on jackrabbits,especially the 270 gr RN's. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like everything else the evolution will continue. As new disciplines are created the technologies will evolve to fill niches or shortcomings. Someday "hunting" may evolve to catch and release with a paintball gun crazy. Think of the technology to allow 300yd shots with a paintball!
As long as there are mice, someone will try to build a better mousetrap.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Have a bunch of .375" 270 & 300 gr Hornady RN. They work very well on jackrabbits,especially the 270 gr RN's. grin

[Linked Image]

286 gr. Nosler Partitions work well on hoppers!

ya'

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This has got to be one of the dumbest questions I have seen on the board.

How old are the spiffy little rimfire 17s?

How old is the .204?

How old are the Enduron powders like 4451?

How old are copper monos?

How many years have we had factory ammo that across the board shot as accurately and hand loads and faster?

How many years have we had out of the box rifle that consistently shot MOA groups without a lot of screwing around?

And that very brief list doesn't address figuring out how to use things together like Blue Dot and light Hornet bullets in .223s as UBER performing replacements for .22 lr ammo that is hard/impossible to find.

The improved design and manufacturing processes have given us incredible glass at very reasonable prices. Even blister pack scopes are way ahead of much of the scopes not so long ago.

We are living through the most productive time for improvement to the tools of our sport.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.