Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by MILES58
This has got to be one of the dumbest questions I have seen on the board.

How old are the spiffy little rimfire 17s?

How old is the .204?

How old are the Enduron powders like 4451?

How old are copper monos?

How many years have we had factory ammo that across the board shot as accurately and hand loads and faster?

How many years have we had out of the box rifle that consistently shot MOA groups without a lot of screwing around?

And that very brief list doesn't address figuring out how to use things together like Blue Dot and light Hornet bullets in .223s as UBER performing replacements for .22 lr ammo that is hard/impossible to find.

The improved design and manufacturing processes have given us incredible glass at very reasonable prices. Even blister pack scopes are way ahead of much of the scopes not so long ago.

We are living through the most productive time for improvement to the tools of our sport.

If that list of skullphucked schit impresses you, have at it.......

Then obviously you've hit the wall too. Stupid is never not funny.

Priceless..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have not seen a new thing necessary for decades.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yes. Hunters are becoming less experimental and more conservative.

Wonder how much of that is demographics. As people continue the century-old movement away from the country, into the city, we are losing the young people who hunt as a way of life. It's more and more the older folk, who will eventually age out, and hunters will be fewer, more of them regarding it as a novelty, like a technical challenge or faddish sport, rather than just something that they do simply because they don't know not doing it.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by MILES58
This has got to be one of the dumbest questions I have seen on the board.

How old are the spiffy little rimfire 17s?

How old is the .204?

How old are the Enduron powders like 4451?

How old are copper monos?

How many years have we had factory ammo that across the board shot as accurately and hand loads and faster?

How many years have we had out of the box rifle that consistently shot MOA groups without a lot of screwing around?

And that very brief list doesn't address figuring out how to use things together like Blue Dot and light Hornet bullets in .223s as UBER performing replacements for .22 lr ammo that is hard/impossible to find.

The improved design and manufacturing processes have given us incredible glass at very reasonable prices. Even blister pack scopes are way ahead of much of the scopes not so long ago.

We are living through the most productive time for improvement to the tools of our sport.

If that list of skullphucked schit impresses you, have at it.......

Then obviously you've hit the wall too. Stupid is never not funny.

Priceless..

Sucker fishing is "never not funny"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

Just because a new product or development is unnecessary, doesn't mean it isn't an improvement or upgrade. Seems hunters were killing just fine even before smokeless powder was invented...

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by EdM

I suppose it matters how you define necessary.

I started loading in 1956. Milsurp powder, bullets that wouldn't even make good seconds in today's market, rifles that were as likely to shoot 3-4 MOA as anything, scopes that still didn't have constantly centered crosshairs, glass that wouldn't measure up well against $39.95 blister pack trash, loading manuals that were wildly optimistic about velocities, powders with large enough lot to lot variations that working up a load all over again when you got a new lot was not a bad idea, Just off the top of my head.

For a number of years now I have picked and chosen the deer I shoot. I shoot them close up with speed still so high that it would have probably blown up comparable weight bullets. I shoot them far away enough that bullets heavy enough not to have blown up at 25 feet would have been an issue at range. I shoot them under light conditions that scopes I started hunting with would not have been able to handle.

kill deer at 80 degrees and well below zero. The powders I use need to help me do that, not make it harder.

I have never lost a deer I put the first bullet into. With the tools I have available today, I have much more freedom to pick and CHOOSE, to hunt under adverse conditions and to make better shots at whatever range I CHOOSE and do a much better job killing than I could in decades past.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Wouldn't it be crazy if in a few years they didn't have muzzleloader seasons- instead it's a "Bring Grandpa's .30-06 out to hunt" season? I'd kind of like that!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I get the OP question. what is left for us?

We now have tough ballistic tips used by folks who in the past would not have touched them, tons of powders to choose from, great lubes & oils & cheap effortless cleaning products, light recoiling rifles that can be used for Long Distance, smaller cartridges capable of killing bigger game more cleanly, terrific synthetic pillar bedded stocks with bedding blocks already in them, inexpensive rifle scopes that are bright as heck and hold up more than well enough for the box-a-year + shooter, and every single company has made their own low cost Savage clone that seem to shoot better than most of the high dollar stuff- or most things produced just a decade or two ago. Add to that electronic varmint calls and decoys, quick pop up blinds and yosemite binoculars. Winchester is making good products again by most accounts. Great boots, sox, waterproof gear and a crazy amount of camo options. Life is good.

So I think I understand what he is saying.

Of course we also have been introduced to butt-outs, barrel de-resonators, scent sticks and cough silencers.

For me, one welcome area getting R and D attention for lower cost options are good roof binoculars. But no way am I starting another discussion on that front!!!!!!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kenjs1 - WOW, after 5 pages of this post I figure it's time to forget rifles, ammo, scopes, technology and go back to the good 'ol sling-shot! Homesteader

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Bitterroot Bonded Core,Trophy Bonded Bullets,Woodleigh bullets,North Fork bullets,

Where can you buy Trophy Bonded bullets?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Or is it just me?

All trends have been toward hitting stuff further away,and using technology to make it easier for shooters.

That's been going on since Speer thrower vs. Bow.

And everyone knows the invention of the Crossbow was so unethical.

I know. It will continue.

Remote control is next. smile

I'm mounting my rifle on a drone this weekend. I'm wondering if it will handle the recoil of a 375 H&H though... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Or is it just me?

All trends have been toward hitting stuff further away,and using technology to make it easier for shooters.

That's been going on since Speer thrower vs. Bow.

And everyone knows the invention of the Crossbow was so unethical.

I know. It will continue.

Remote control is next. smile

I'm mounting my rifle on a drone this weekend. I'm wondering if it will handle the recoil of a 375 H&H though... laugh

Don't laugh....there are many who'd do it in a heartbeat.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just trying to get solenoid switch to the trigger... smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EdM

Not "necessary" but therein lies the rub. Whether we've hit the wall has as much to do with the consumers as the products. If people will pay for new products, we'll keep on seeing them, and we will. The improvements may be more incremental than revolutionary, but they're improvements nonetheless.

And they matter more to a lot of shooters today than they did 50 years ago when a 30-30 and a five year-old box of Corelokts was all most people found "necessary."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They did about 60 years ago

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How do I teach my drone to run the bolt???? Reading the manual here. Ah, this chit is confusing...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
They did about 60 years ago

That's right. All my gear is circa 1960. Especially scopes, that was the heyday.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65X54
I'm just trying to get solenoid switch to the trigger... smile

6.5 I bet you could find a way to do it.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is an ongoing attack on lead used in bullets.

This internet has taken over from print and recorded media.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Oracle has spoken.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.