Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently sent 2 sweaters (puffer jackets) in to Patagonia for repair.
One 800-fill Down Sweater:
Down Sweater
One 60-g Primaloft Synthetic Pullover similar to this:
Nano Puff Pullover

I have used both of these tops extensively over the last 3-4 years. When I sent them in I expected them to be repaired but Patagonia sent me a credit for $283 and said they would price match as needed to make sure I got 2 similar jackets.
The down jacket was very warm and kept me toasty on a few nights when I needed to sleep in it. I always felt the synthetic was about as warm. Living in the humid Southeast we get a lot of rain. I've always been able to keep the down jacket dry but realize if it ever does get soaked it's pretty well useless.
So my question is Down or Synthetic?
Which do you prefer and why?
Thanks in advance!
WFR

Last edited by WFR; 07/23/16.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both the Patagonia Down Sweater and Nano Puff. I find the sweater a fair bit warmer. I think Patagonia's Ultralight Down Sweater is more comparable in warmth to the Nano. The Nano Puff is something I use in spring/fall and mild winter days. I use the down sweater on colder winter days. Backpacking, I take either depending on expected lows.

Down vs. Synthetic, I prefer down. Packs smaller, and a comparably warm sweater to the Nano Puff would be the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer which is about 5oz's lighter than the Nano Puff. But here in Montana we're a fair bit dryer than the SE. Even so, I don't find it especially difficult to keep down dry with a bit of care.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I too have both. The down is w/out question warmer. I use the primaloft often in my a layering system and it sometimes get sweated into and and I can just throw into the washer when I get home.

I wouldn't be w/out both and find both very useful in different applications.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I have both the Patagonia Down Sweater and Nano Puff. I find the sweater a fair bit warmer.

Originally Posted by lvmiker
I too have both. The down is w/out question warmer. I use the primaloft often in my a layering system and it sometimes get sweated into and and I can just throw into the washer when I get home.

I wouldn't be w/out both and find both very useful in different applications.

mike r

Have either of you noticed the Primaloft breaking down after repeated stuffing into packs, etc. Does it seem as lofty and warm now as when new?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I compact my Primaloft items in dry bags as small as I can and they have always regained their loft. I keep a SD primaloft jacket in my winter pack until all the snow is gone and it does well after extended periods.

I have a Wilderness Experience Jacket that is 21 years old and has been massively abused and is still functional though not very pretty.

Nothing is as warm and comfortable as down but if you plan on extended use in wet climes Primaloft is your Huckleberry.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 07/25/16.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WFR

Have either of you noticed the Primaloft breaking down after repeated stuffing into packs, etc. Does it seem as lofty and warm now as when new?

Using identical garments, there is a noticeble decline in loftiness and warmth after as little 6 months to a year of regular use.

Down has no such issues. Now that there is "waterproof" down, there are very few instances that I would choose synthetic.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting... I haven't noticed any difference in my primaloft stuff. I carry it compressed, but store it uncompressed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 35, 41rem, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.