Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dogcatcher, thanks. The M7 would be a bit of a wild hair. I think I'd go DBM style there, which would allow lots of COAL. However, stock options are greatly limited with the M7 compared to a regular short action M700 and that's especially true with a DBM setup.

Kimber7, thanks. I'll put on my tacticool filter and go check it out <grins>.

Ackley, thanks. I will doing the barreling and action work myself and I'd rather true up a cheap M700 action and mill it for an extended box... but I have a buddy who just got a Defiance and raves about it. I'm sure it's awesome. I'm equally sure I am not an awesome rifleman <g> and a good trued M700 will suffice for my needs.

Really appreciate the input guys. Just fired of a message to GAP inquiring about brass. If it's a go I'll order up a barrel when I get back from this damn vacation I'm on (getting bored by perfect weather, beaches, bikinis... WTF?!)......... grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys have some for sale in the classifieds. Next batch from Hornady will be in stock at GAP in the near future per George.

Xtreme Hunters rock...

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Kimberman, what scope you runnin on your 6.5?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Kimberman, what scope you runnin on your 6.5?

That's the same scope I have on mine. S&B 10X42 PMII.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Thanks Pat, good looking setup!

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It sure is! Very nice setup. A couple questions if I may... looks like they spec that rifle with a #3 Bartlein; that's just a skootch heavier than a Remington Mag profile barrel, which is what I was thinking I'd use. However the Bartlein #3 has a lot more shank. Interesting. A Rem profile would certainly be easier to fit to various stocks... you guys like the longer shank? And, how much COAL is that DBM setup giving you, and do you feel you need it with the 6.5 GAP?

Antelope (and just plain fun) are the driving force behind this build... I have the points, after 15 years, to finally pull an Oregon tag. We were going to do it this year but but my youngest needs installed into her college dorm right in the middle of the season; I can't miss that.

Thanks much guys.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2.970" coal with accurate mags, or modified AI mags. Plenty to keep from seating any 140gr class bullets bearing surface below the neck/shoulder junction.

H1000 and IMR7977. Are both just about perfect from what I've found. I have 7000 rounds down range with two different rifles.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It sure is! Very nice setup. A couple questions if I may... looks like they spec that rifle with a #3 Bartlein; that's just a skootch heavier than a Remington Mag profile barrel, which is what I was thinking I'd use. However the Bartlein #3 has a lot more shank. Interesting. A Rem profile would certainly be easier to fit to various stocks... you guys like the longer shank? And, how much COAL is that DBM setup giving you, and do you feel you need it with the 6.5 GAP?

Antelope (and just plain fun) are the driving force behind this build... I have the points, after 15 years, to finally pull an Oregon tag. We were going to do it this year but but my youngest needs installed into her college dorm right in the middle of the season; I can't miss that.

Thanks much guys.

No reason you have to keep the full shank put it in your lathe and cut some off 1"-11/4" is just about perfect, if your wanting a 9# all up rig use a #3 ,better yet get yourself a 2B for a little less weight!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Guys have some for sale in the classifieds. Next batch from Hornady will be in stock at GAP in the near future per George.

Xtreme Hunters rock...

[Linked Image]

I know both of those characters.... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See ya in October!

ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the info on DBM COAL's.

What twist do you guys run in your 6.5 SAUM's?

Gonna order up a barrel as soon as I decide on the contour, which currently has me confuzzled. I like that the Bartlien #3 is a little heavier than a Rem mag profile. I think. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Extreme Hunter is 8.7 twist.
My lightweight build is a Bart 2b 8 twist. We'll see how that one perks in a week or two...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here
8.7 in both my X hunter and my heavy rifle

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok, found the thread on SH and am working my way through it. Epic!

I am coming to the realization that I should just do a "faux Xtreme Hunter"; Bartlien #3 fluted, Manners stock, Rem short action, Timney CE trigger.... still not sure DBM is the way to go for me, I've never had a DBM bolt gun... but I'm getting there <g>... do you guys feel the extra COAL is necessary? I could get 2.925" with a Wyatt's box.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a plan to me! The wyatts box is an option some people like them some don't. I think PTG makes a bottom metal that works with the wyatts and keeps the same round capacity.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I am coming to the realization that I should just do a "faux Xtreme Hunter"; Bartlien #3 fluted, Manners stock, Rem short action, Timney CE trigger.... still not sure DBM is the way to go for me, I've never had a DBM bolt gun... but I'm getting there <g>... do you guys feel the extra COAL is necessary? I could get 2.925" with a Wyatt's box.
Just make your Kimber WSM a switch barrel!

Or take it on a hunt somewhere or for something you've never hunted... wink

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I've heard that about the Wyatt's. I used the extended box on my heavy 7 WSM; in that case it was as much about fixing the god-awful feeding as extra COAL. For reference, with the Wyatt's extended box installed the rifle now feeds superbly. In stock form (the donor was a 270 WSM M700 LSS) it was essentially unusable.

Other than losing a round of capacity, I'm not sure what there is to dislike about the Wyatt's box, but then I am not as picky about this stuff as some of you who are further down the loony road <g>.

The box mag on the Xtreme certainly looks like it has great utility. I'm coming around to the notion. I have an aversion to all things tacticool. smile

At any rate, I've been looking for my next project, and wanting a 6.5 of some flavor... now that I see there's brass for this one it's clearly the way to go. Pretty excited. Seems like a VERY capable package, and I love me some short actions.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer

Just make your Kimber WSM a switch barrel!

Or take it on a hunt somewhere or for something you've never hunted... wink

Don't you start in with that whole "voice of reason" thing again! smile

Can't argue with your logic, I really can't. However, as much as I like my Kimber it's a little light for ME to get the full potential out of the cartridge. And my other 7 WSM is a heavy carry. I will be packing it this fall for high desert mulies again, but if I can match what the heavy 7 can do, but in a midweight package.... that'd be cool.

I can write off the build as a shop expense ("learning a new type of machining", right?).... so that helps. But in the end, I just love to play with rifles. It's a disease. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every time I think about getting another short magnum in 7mm or .30 cal, I just look at everything Pat and George have killed with the 6.5 4S and decide to spend my money on primers, bullets and powder...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Question for the Xtreme Hunter owners: how much of a palm swell does that stock have? Compared to say a Sendero II?

Not a big fan of the swell but the HS stock on my Sendero is the only one I've experience with.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.