Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Drew a type 1 tag for 45 this year after 8 years of building points. I've done many dozens of hours of map and Google Earth recon so far and have several areas in mind. Still trying to catch up with the bio and GW by phone. If anyone with experience in the unit would be willing to offer some guidance about access, hunting pressure, road conditions, trophy potential, or any other factors that can't be seen on a topo map I'd be thankful and would be glad to share everything I learn in September with you should you have a later hunt planned there. I'll only be hunting general units after this year so this will be a one and done for me. Please PM rather than posting. I have private land in TN if you're interested in a whitetail hunt, too. 😀

Thanks,

Kyle

RLTW
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Congrats on that tag. Hunted it with a couple other members here about five years ago. They killed a nice 330 bull and a 290 or so bull.

Beautiful country with lots of elk. You will have no trouble calling in bulls with the exception of lots and lots of boulder fields. Very frustrating to get into a pissing contest with a nice bull to only have both your plans thwarted by the damn boulder fields.

You will see plenty of elk.

W
W
You going to bowhunt at all?

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Yes. Will go in a few days prior to the 15th when we can start bowhunting. Hoping to nail down some sort of game plan in those couple days of scouting. Appreciate any input. I've done tons of research, just spoke to the biologist and am just looking for any experienced voices to point out things I can't see on the map. Of course, good hunting areas are welcome. Info on pressure, access, road conditions, timber conditions (density, deadfall, logging, etc....).

RLTW
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not to be negative , but Look up the hatchery fire in Washakie co. Wyoming, on border between private land and Bighorn Forest in Area 45. North rim of Tensleep canyon is ablaze.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Not negative at all. That's good info. Will look it up. Thanks

RLTW
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by greentimber
Not negative at all. That's good info. Will look it up. Thanks

It is thinning out the course the elk take off the mountain for winter for sure. Smoke pretty bad here in Buffalo this evening!
I went as far as I could last night and the weather was bad , but little rain and wind howling so imagine it is getting bigger fast.
I am hunting 34 this year so it out of my hunt area, but I like to keep an Eye out.
If I had a 45 tag I would park at the Powder river pass and walk the spine staying in 45 to the second saddle on the first morning about 4:00 am and wait for the deer hunters at baby wagon trail to run the elk passed me. Home by noon with an elk would be nice. Provided winter stays away til then. Early heavy snow and all bets are off in 45.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Good info. Thanks again.

Kyle

RLTW
W
W
Greentimber, I am planning on scouting area 45 next week to check on fire damage. scouted the area 3 weeks ago before the fire and saw some really good bulls. send me a pm next week and I will give you an update. you got great area to hunt.

C
C
My buddy also has the Type 1 tag and I plan to go along and call, camp, pack with him. We will also be going up scouting next week/weekend for maybe 4 days. I'll pm you Greentimber as I'd be glad to discuss plans. I had the tag last year and hunted 22 days. Do you also have the tag Walt?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.