Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SakoAV
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I get great accuracy and 3230 fps mv with the 50 grain TTSX. I recently bought a bunch of 60 grain Partition blems to try.

If the Partitions shoot as well and I get around 3200, which bullet is better for medium-sized mulies out to 250 yards?P

Do you want to use this rifle? Do you have a larger caliber rifle? Remember that aa an ethical hunter, you have an obligation to assure a quick kill.

Somebody is channeling Don.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I get great accuracy and 3230 fps mv with the 50 grain TTSX. I recently bought a bunch of 60 grain Partition blems to try.

If the Partitions shoot as well and I get around 3200, which bullet is better for medium-sized mulies out to 250 yards?P

Do you want to use this rifle? Do you have a larger caliber rifle? Remember that aa an ethical hunter, you have an obligation to assure a quick kill.

I'm lovin' this.......

Let me take a wild guess how many deer SakoAV has killed with a centerfire .22...... whistle

Zip, zero, zilch. Nada. Goose eggs.

I would never attempt to kill any big game animal with any .22 center fire just because it can be done. Ya see, I am an ethical hunter. My concern is for a quick, humane kill. It's kinda like game snipers who shoot at big game 1000 yards distant or more because they think they can. How many head of big game do they cripple before the actually recover one?

Ethical hunters know what can be done and what should be done.

Where do you fit in?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I would never attempt to kill any big game animal with any .22 center fire just because it can be done. Ya see, I am an ethical hunter. My concern is for a quick, humane kill. It's kinda like game snipers who shoot at big game 1000 yards distant or more because they think they can. How many head of big game do they cripple before the actually recover one?

Where do you fit in?

I don't accept your premise. You may be ethical, but that doesn't mean you're informed.

Let's not even go as small as a 223. Since you said any 22 center fire let us consider a fast twist 22-250 shooting a 62 grain Barnes TTSX. Do you really believe that's not enough to "ethically" dispatch deer?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman

Where do you fit in?

I don't accept your premise. You may be ethical, but that doesn't mean you're informed.

Let's not even go as small as a 223. Since you said any 22 center fire let us consider a fast twist 22-250 shooting a 62 grain Barnes TTSX. Do you really believe that's not enough to "ethically" dispatch deer?

You don't have to accept anything. If fact, you must not accept anything in order to justify hunting big game with a .22 center fire.

Do you no believe that a .22LR will ethically dispatch deer? Lots of poachers use .22LR to heads of deer. Silent and, with precise shots, very deadly.

Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.

I have no clue of where you hunt. I'm guessing where deer are small, killed at close distance, and at low altitude. I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Nothing is ever ideal when elevation is above 7000' and all you can see are towering peaks. Wind gusts, sage brush, off-the-charts blood pressure, sucking air for oxygen, and you think you're going to make a very marginal cartridge work? I have never, ever, ever and never seen any hunter hunting any big game in the Rockies with a .22 center fire. In fact, I'd go with every Rocky Mountain state having laws proscribing use of .22 center fire cartridges for big game hunting.

You do what's right for you. But expect fish and game laws to target hunters like you, for wounded big game that dies days later will destroy our sport. I also expect to see laws proscribing big game sniping.

Last edited by SakoAV; 07/24/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Big game cartridges are immaterial. What bullets fired from them destroy is. Nothing living remains in that condition without topside blood flow. Destroy blood pumping and/or blood oxygenating equipment of any big game animal, and it will die. Biology, not cartridges, is controlling.

The new world record Yukon moose, the largest deer species in North America, was killed a couple years ago with a .303 British.

Last edited by battue; 07/24/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
WTH does a 22LR have to do with what I asked? In fact, what does all the other blather have to do with it?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
battue,

Yep, and my implication was suitable big game cartridges as any ethical hunter would have recognized.

Would the fact that a .22 center fire cartridge can kill deer counterbalance the likelihood of a .22 center fire wounding deer?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You don't have to accept anything. If fact, you must not accept anything in order to justify hunting big game with a .22 center fire.

Do you no believe that a .22LR will ethically dispatch deer? Lots of poachers use .22LR to heads of deer. Silent and, with precise shots, very deadly.

Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.

I have no clue of where you hunt. I'm guessing where deer are small, killed at close distance, and at low altitude. I hunt the Rockies exclusively. Nothing is ever ideal when elevation is above 70000' and all you can see are towering peaks. Wind gusts, sage brush, off-the-charts blood pressure, sucking air for oxygen, and you think you're going to make a very marginal cartridge work? I have never, ever, ever and never seen any hunter hunting any big game in the Rockies with a .22 center fire. In fact, I'd go with every Rocky Mountain state having laws proscribing use of .22 center fire cartridges for big game hunting.

You do what's right for you. But expect fish and game laws to target hunters like you, for wounded big game that dies days later will destroy our sport. I also expect to see laws proscribing big game sniping.

Do you wave at the SR-71 passers by?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mathman,

You do what's right for you.

Best of luck.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
battue,

Yep, and my implication was suitable big game cartridges as any ethical hunter would have recognized.

Would the fact that a .22 center fire cartridge can kill deer counterbalance the likelihood of a .22 center fire wounding deer?

Send member scenarshooter a question. If he's not busy loading and shooting, which he does exceedingly well, maybe he'll take a minute to educate you about 22 centerfires.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
mathman,

You do what's right for you.

Best of luck.

I never once mentioned what I do or don't do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
battue,

There is no counterbalance when used within their limits. Does a .30-06 stretch the limits? Of course. Soooo, there will be no increase in wounding if the .22CF's are used within their limits. Which is pretty much approximately 300 yards. Thousands of Deer cleanly taken with them by members here alone are more than adequate to prove same.

Your "ethics" are trumped by the experience of those who are not guessing

Last edited by battue; 07/24/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd hunt deer in all 57 states with a 223. I'd even put it in a long action to appease that group.

laugh

I laughed out loud, reading that one...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BigNate
Neither.

Keep your shots a little closer and it won't matter what you choose. IMHO When you get that far out the velocity has dropped too much to get the damage that makes it work so well up close. I like 150 yds. or less, but my vast quantity of knowledge is based on only a few deer with 60gr NPT, and Win 64gr PP. I bought some 64gr Nosler Bonded core also.

I try to keep my .257R 250 yards or less.

To me, the 60 NPT groups better than the Nosler 64 gr. Bonded Solid Base (BSB). The BSB reportedly has great terminal performance, but I like bullets that group AND perform well on critters. I guess if you're not shooting them that far, the BSB should work OK.

My 8 twist .22-250 really likes 80 gr. VLD's and that's what I'm feeding it, getting around 3K fps. No critter report yet, it's a recent build.

I'm going to try Poobah's 55 gr. TTSX. Stunt shooters can't always be wrong... shocked

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/24/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by battue
battue,

Your "ethics" are trumped by the experience of those who are not guessing

Well put.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a skeptic about the .223 was well.

[Linked Image]

He went 30 yards. I've seen deer well hit by .30-06's go farther.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I was a skeptic about the .223 was well.

[Linked Image]

He went 30 yards. I've seen deer well hit by .30-06's go farther.

With BLUE TAPE!!! You are a stunt hooter extraordinaire!!!

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you can put 'em where they need to go, 62X's flatten cloven-hoofed critters....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will admit when I'm wrong. I was going on the assumption the .224 caliber were still designed for small game. It looks as though Nosler has designed Partitions for larger game.

With heart shots, they ougha work. I'm still concerned, though, about a .224 bullet penetrating after hitting a rib or breast plate.

And I'm still of the opinion that .243 Win & up are best for mule deer, especially where rages extend beyond 200 yards.

My opinion is the .270 Win is the best mule deer rifle going.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I will admit when I'm wrong. I was going on the assumption the .224 caliber were still designed for small game. It looks as though Nosler has designed Partitions for larger game.

With heart shots, they ougha work. I'm still concerned, though, about a .224 bullet penetrating after hitting a rib or breast plate.

And I'm still of the opinion that .243 Win & up are best for mule deer, especially where rages extend beyond 200 yards.

My opinion is the .270 Win is the best mule deer rifle going.

Ribs? A load with Barnes will bust shoulders. Plenty of pics showing complete penetration have been posted on this site by guys using 223, 223AI, and 22-250 with Barnes bullets.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.