Campfire Tracker
Three numbers..........870

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
870 Wingmaster mentioned so much here is hard to beat. I have a couple. The SBE has become the successor to the 870 in the duck hunting world. I don't know much about upland hunting but the SBE shows up a bunch of dove hunts in my neck of the woods. I own a Merkel and Fox 20 ga. They are cool but I shoot the big, plastic automatic better. Wish I could say otherwise. Prior to the SBE, I used a Benelli Nova for ducks. It was also a big clunky piece of plastic. This said, it would still work with sticks, mud, and rocks inside the action. Not sure an 870 would take such abuse.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Beretta 390 for the easy win.

Mossberg 500 over the 870 due to the 500's tang safety. I wish Beretta would put their safety on the tang.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good posts; also on that Merkel, what is the lower?

Simson, actually, but same difference and same factory.

It's 9,3X74R.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wingmaster supermag

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Something with hammers, nice engraving, straight grip and made in England...

[Linked Image]

That sounds good to me. I'm not as enamored of hammers from a functional point of view, though they sure are pretty...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Citori FW Upland, but then I'm not a waterfowl hunter so.....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Beretta 390, close runner up a benelli M2.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been using a Benelli M2 the past several years for quail, dove, and turkey. I swap between a 26" barrel for dove/quail and a 21" barrel for turkey. I'd go the same route again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how you can possibly go wrong with a 870 that fits you correctly. There are plenty of other makes and models out there, though, and the 870 ain't the only one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have owned two 870s and still have my first. But I have fallen for the 1100, old and new. Really like the auto loader in the Rem platform. I just don't need a 3 inch 12 for what I want to do with a shotgun.
Goose Hunting requires a good hide set up and wait till they are feet down.
Add a rifled barrel to a 26 inch rem choke barrel and away you go.
If you really feel in the need the extended mag option is fun on the range with plates and would make any HD situation less uneven with a full tube.
Have to admit I would really like to keep the long overbore barrel from my competition 1100 with the Ken Rucker bump buster, but its a bit tall for the upland......
BUT that thing is deadly at the Trap field at the back fence.

Shame to let all the OU's and SxSs go but if push came to shove.......
thats how it would go.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw & imho,
28 gauge O/U by David McKay Brown or a Custom S/S AH Fox by CSMC depending upon whether I could switch to a s/s or not. I'm not at all a great fan of heavy engraving, however, something personal with Bobwhite featured and a favorite dog would be nice. Nothing shorter than a 28" Barrel with 29-30" preferred. Right now I shoot an SKB 785 28" 28 gauge, built on a 20 gauge frame, and it has been magic for 20 years. The SKB company, now defunct, came from a Samurai family named Sakaba. It was shortened to SKB. They made solid guns for what they are...

I could very easily live the rest of my life with one shotgun and without question it would be a well made 28... I could also make shotshell choice simple and shoot Winchester High Brass 1 ounce 7.5s(though I would leave shot choice open) just about exclusively short of set birds where you need less lead or either let them get to 30-35 yards. Close up is ugly.. B&P makes some grand 28 shot shells, however, they fool with my lead that I have worked out with Winchester 1 ounce loads over the years so I try to stick with what I know...

Best Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did just that 25 years ago - A Ruger Red label 12ga. Really had no desire for anything else.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Three numbers..........870

This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I truly wish I had simple taste when it comes to shotguns. I've never cared for the Red Label due to construction. The ones I've shot seemed to get awfully loose quick. Granted this is shooting skeet and clays and not birds. They'd likely do fine as hunting shotgun.

I asked for Browning Sweet 16 for my first Shotgun, however, my uncle(the all knowing) had an issue with a 14 year old getting semi-auto as his first shotgun. That is something I do not follow to this day. Nothing would do but to buy an 870 from a friend of his. Received the gun and I was happy despite it NOT being what I wanted in the least. Where I started to HATE that shotgun was shooting incoming dove and I found the gun was a wee bit short. My right trigger hand would bump me in the nose on recoil. The shotgun was actually beautiful. Prettiest wood on an 870 I've ever seen short of the Custom Shop. However, I knew shooting it would lead to a hell of a flinch so I put it down and didn't shoot anything until my brother noticed and loaned me his old Model 11(Remington Auto 5). Then I started to connect... I may just buy a Sweet 16 as that is an itch I never got to scratch and I found an old, but perfect and full box of Western No. 2 16 gauge Shot Shells Marked "New Plastic Shells". THAT has got to be a sign... I love guns.

Out to right an old wrong and believing in it all at the same time...(grin)

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Purdey SxS 28 inch Mod/Full

Well, dang! Don't we have champagne tastes!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by ingwe
Purdey SxS 28 inch Mod/Full

Well, dang! Don't we have champagne tastes!

When you reside in "The Palace Of The Poobah," anything less will NOT be a consideration. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The same mag extension that fits on a 870 fits a 1100. I have it rigged up like that for crow hunting. I love calling crows in and shooting the crap out of them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I don't know how you can possibly go wrong with a 870 that fits you correctly.

Crap can get in between the bolt and the extractor causing failure to extract. You see it more on the express models than Wingmasters, but it can happen to any of them. Some sort of small pick has you back in business and like most other shotguns, this is easily avoided via a good cleaning once and a while.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This would work...Ithaca 37 Supreme, 30" full from 45 years ago, with an extra 26" Imp Cyl barrel.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.