Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
They're a product of their upbringing.

The older generation sure likes to condemn these metrosexual kids with no idea of how to be a man. But they're not so quick to condemn themselves for being too self absorbed to spend time with their kids, or condemn themselves and their friends for being philandering husbands that can't keep a marriage together.
Part of it is their school and friends environment growing up. I did my best to get my sons manned up. They roofed some houses with me, went camping and hunting, and lots of other things. It never caught their interest. Neither like to camp or hunt now but now they're both married with families and are both homeowners. Now they're trying to relearn what I tried to teach them years ago but both had to pretty much start from scratch. Both have admitted that they should have listened to the ol' man at bit more when they were young.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have seen a big difference that has been made with being involved with Scouting. We get plenty of clueless kids passing thru... Single mothers, or if they have a dad, they are usually self absorbed in their own world, they have no time for their kids.... unemployed and spend their days playing video games, etc... so mom's bring kids to scouts in hope of having some sort of decent male image in their kids lives.

but Bluedreaux is right, that not enough parents spend any time with their kids.. they are products of the 'its all about me' generation....

Where Pat speaks of helping someone learn to change their own oil, I got my son enrolled with classes at the Automotive Program over at the local community college, despite his major focus being paramedic. It gave him more focus, expertise and access to equipment than I could have given him. It was money well spent.

I sure wish I'd have had someone suggest that to me when I was a college aged kid, instead of having to learn the hard way on how to make a vehicle last, and keep it running in good shape.

I've even taken a few classes with him over there. I thought at first the young kids would give me a lot of crap, but it has been the opposite. Lots of guys in their 30s and 40s trying to learn a skill to have in a crap job market here. The younger kids, were saying when I was taking the courses with Jonathan, that they sure wished their grandpa was taking some of these courses with them, like I was with Jonathan... of course they thought I was his grandpa... Since he was born when I was 42.

However I think the pussification of the male society by the liberal left is just another one of their many goals to control society in general... which they seem to be doing a good job of accomplishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a kid's friends or school is screwing up their life, it's a parent's job to fix that. A parent is the only one who CAN fix that.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The older generation sure likes to condemn these metrosexual kids with no idea of how to be a man. But they're not so quick to condemn themselves for being too self absorbed to spend time with their kids, or condemn themselves and their friends for being philandering husbands that can't keep a marriage together.

I can tell you it is as often "philandering wives" that break up marriages. seen plenty of that, and they still get the kids. Courts don't care who's screwing whom. So pass the blame around.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Even though we grew up in small town/rural America my father[and grandfather] were both business men. Neither were much at turning wrenches, gardening or much of anything 'outdoors' beyond mowing the yard[even though dad was quite the athlete]. Pretty much all of my friends and one of my two brothers' as well grew up outdoors farming and hunting etc. It was the life we both wanted and slowly but surely headed towards. Never will forget the Christmas morning that I received my first gun[shotgun] and mom saying "wow, that's a big gun", and out the door I went! I never looked back.
My wife grew up the exact opposite and had a very 'handy' dad who only called a handyman or sent anything in for repair as a very last resort. I learned so much from him and thank him in prayer regularly.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
While it is true enough that the millenials are often wonderously clueless, it has to understood that they are a product of their times and upbringing. Further, their parents are our children and it is plain that we (my generation) often failed to pass along the values which we should have. It was my generation which decided that we couldn't abide a hero and went to great extremes to tear down any that we could. It was my generation who accepted the "necessity for the two-income family. It was my generation who decided we wanted, no, we needed to be pampered in our daily lives and we passed this along in spades. In general, the youth of today are like they are because they lack the background to be any different and they lack the need or opportunity. At the same time, they have been imbued with the notion that they can have it all, right now. The thing is, todays youth didn't just get that way; we made them that way. We have been so busy satisfying our own desires, we have neglected our responsibilities.
We are often critical of the apparent need for young parents to spend a good portion of their weekend drunk while their children are left to their own devices. Then we remember, our parent's generation was often not much different.
In the vein of the original post, one of our campers had to bring her husband out this spring so she could show him how to get the camper-trailer ready for the summer in case she couldn't get out to do it sometime. Funny but at the same time, a little sad. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari

I can tell you it is as often "philandering wives" that break up marriages. seen plenty of that, and they still get the kids. Courts don't care who's screwing whom. So pass the blame around.

The kids are at fault, the mom is at fault, the courts are at fault......

If my boys don't grow up to be the men they should, it'll be my fault--Regardless of circumstances.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Most kids/adults I know who don't like hunting/fishing don't like it because the adult that initially took them sucked at it, and made it a horrible experience. Get good at it, and ANY kid will want to go.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Anyone else have that observation?
The world has changed and it's not changing back but for the worst.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm finding my son at 18 is alot more receptive to learning how to turn a wrench than he was at 14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
14 is the daydream year for boys. Puberty turns their brains into oatmeal. They seem to recover about the time they are old enough to get car keys.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've known some strong women whom I respect. My favorite mom had 3 sons that played football for me. All were tough, hard nosed kids. I was coaching the youngest during the last year before I retired. He limped off the field after a play and our trainer took him aside to look at him.

A few minutes later I had a chance to ask the trainer if Lance was good to go. The trainer held up his cell phone; the mom sent him the following text, "Give him a tampon and put him back in the game".

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

BINGO!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I will say, it's FAR more common in URBAN/CITY environments. My best workers out of boot camp were always the farm boys, the worse were the city kids.

This has been my experience as well. And most of the time, the big city kids simply never turn out.

There are some exceptions to the rule, but not many. That's why most of the city folks choose admin type jobs. They don't make good mechanics, IME.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My daughter at the farm has taught bunches of young men an women hard things like how to hold a hammer and drive a nail.

I will say this for them, many really want to learn and will work hard when given the opportunity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good women (mothers) WILL find positive male roll models if the husband has vacated. Bad mothers are bad mothers, just as bad fathers are bad fathers.

I've seen guys 15 to 70 that haven't a clue how to turn a wrench, so I don't think it's generational.

I will say, it's FAR more common in URBAN/CITY environments. My best workers out of boot camp were always the farm boys, the worse were the city kids.

I agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will say, it's FAR more common in URBAN/CITY environments.

I think that has a lot to do with it....not everything....but a lot....

Just yesterday I bought a couple of cords of wood from a guy I found in the local paper. Turned out to be a young couple (probably late 20's) that both work regular jobs (he's a welder and she works at ATK over in Lewiston) and then head to the mountains every weekend to spend time in the woods and make a little extra money. You could tell by pride he took in the wood and the way his truck was set up so you could see that you were actually getting an honest cord that they truly loved doing what they were doing.
I invited them to set a spell and have a beer after we got the truck unloaded and I gotta tell you, talking to them during that brief period gave me hope for a generation that usually has me shaking my head.
They're still out there but getting harder to find all the time...especially (like Steelie says) in the big cities....a perfect example being a guy about the same age I saw working at the big box store the other day complete with man-bun and wearing a skirt.....a gladiator looking affair....but a skirt none the less... frown

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i think it also depends on where you grow up. i know several guys who are in their 20s 30s around here who don't fall in that category, a few who could be considered hard asses when it comes to fishing, hunting and racing cars.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Yep. I went off on a couple of carpet-munchers at a party a few months back that were basically trying to excoriate men to anyone that would listen by saying how much better the world would be if testosterone was eliminated.

Told them that testosterone was the only reason their fat, ugly asses were not still living in a cave, eating raw plants, and thinking the world was flat. With no chocolate to make things better when they got all teary.

Any pics of the carpet?

Have Dog

Will Travel

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

BINGO!

There is no doubt that the Baby Boomers are the "ME" generation, and contributed to this. Let's be realistic in understanding those Baby Boomers that are condemning this trend are not the same ones that were dropping acid, living in communes, protesting the War, and spending 8+ years in college getting worthless degrees to keep them out of the draft. Those types are far more likely to be the ones of which you speak, and the distinction should be made.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
332 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.