Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This may be a funny thread. Surely I’m not the only one to be a klutz!

Don’t check bullet seating depth with your Sinclair bullet comparator over your tray of primed/powdered brass. You will eventually drop it or the calipers and have to dump and recharge all the cases in the tray. Darn fat fingers!

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't leave powder overnight in the plastic hopper of your powder measure, it scores the plastic. To be more accurate, never loan your powder measure to a friend who leaves his powder in the hopper overnight.

If you use the same belling die to bell .357 and .38 Spl cases (or .44 Mag/Spl), be sure to check the die setting when switching from one to other. You don't need THAT much belling on a .357 case. wink

CHECK the complete wording on the primer box before priming 50 cases of .30-06. Double Check it. Federal Large pistol primers are not Federal Large rifle primers.

And when part of your brain still tries to tell you the priming mixture color doesn't seem right, listen to it...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Don't seat bullets in charged cases you haven't primed.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I guess I'll add another.

Don't have more than one can of powder on your loading bench at the same time. When you empty the Varget remaining in your powder measure into the can of H4831SC it screws up the burning rate.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Don't forget to tighten the retaining clamp screws on your Dillon powder dispenser. When the whole unit, full of powder, falls off the 550b onto the reloading bench, you'll understand why.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Always a good idea to lube your cases before trying to resize them. When it's really tough to get them in the die, stop pushing. Also, not a bad idea to buy/make a stuck case remover.

From a friend, don't get in a hurry when using a universal decapper and somehow get your finger between it and the ram thus running it through the nail on your pointer finger. You will say a lot of bad words and bleed all over your reloading stuff.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Never review basic handloading and safety instructions found in any of your twenty or more manuals. NOT!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Also, when loading spitzers the pointy end goes up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's see...

1. Don't forget to put the cap in your powder and shot bottles on your MEC 9000. (vacuum's don't pick up # 7 1/2 shot very well)[I know this is the rifle section, just figured I'd that tidbit of hard-earned knowledge]

2. verify powder levels in your cases BEFORE you get the bullet in (pointy end up, of course)

3. when using a 1500 to weigh out your loads, make certain you don't have it on grams instead of grains (unless you're loading via metric loads that is) 50 GRAMS of powder will over-flow your little cup thingy.

4. double check the bullet weight before loading to make certain you aren't putting 100 grain bullets on a 120 grain load, or vise versa.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mathman

This, sized and weighed 50 damn charges of powder for a buds 270 moons ago before I primed the cases, this was with the old RCBS [505?] scale and the twisty trickler. cry

Had to dump that chit and start over, all his fault, he called me in a panic at night thirty and had just got a spot in someones mule deer camp and was leaving the next afternoon. grin

Trump Won!
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Do not ever forget to look into the charged cases with a pen light, when loading fast powders into mag revolver cases.

I have never found a double charged case yet...............YET!

Do not go deer hunting with 30-06 loads seated into the lands so tight that when the buck gets away without you taking a shot, and you clear the chamber, you end up with an action full of H4831 and a 165 gr Speer bt lodged in the throat.

But if such a situation should befall you, you might carefully clean the powder from the rifle. Raid your buddy's Honda XL 350 for a cheap pair of pliers. Pull the bullet from a second cartridge. Carefully hold the muzzle in a verticle orientation, while closing the bolt on the debulleted cartrige. Then point the rifle in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

Yep, about thirtyfive years ago, in my beginning days. And see, there is a good reason to load boat tail hunting bullets.

Oh, and one final never: Never leave home on a hunting trip unil you have cycled every round through your rifle once.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When you were changing powders with your chargemaster be sure and close the side port after you empty out the first powder otherwise you'll wonder what that sound is as you're filling it with the second powder and it's pouring all over your reloading bench

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Done that a couple of times, I even seated a few primers since at that time I didn't have a bullet puller. Felt pretty nervous doing it smile Now I have a bullet puller and am more careful.........

Also dumping some IMR 4350 into a can of MRP isn't a good idea either especially if you forget about it wink

Gerry.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by slm9s
When you were changing powders with your chargemaster be sure and close the side port after you empty out the first powder otherwise you'll wonder what that sound is as you're filling it with the second powder and it's pouring all over your reloading bench

You beat me to it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MountainMariner
[Linked Image]

We have a worthy winner!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Always a good idea to lube your cases before trying to resize them. When it's really tough to get them in the die, stop pushing. Also, not a bad idea to buy/make a stuck case remover.

Ditto!, done this before myself smile. This is probably the one goof that everyone has experienced at some point and time.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by slm9s

That's a good one, you will only forget to shut the port once.

[Linked Image]

Holy ****!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do not go deer hunting with 30-06 loads seated into the lands so tight that when the buck gets away without you taking a shot, and you clear the chamber, you end up with an action full of H4831 and a 165 gr Speer bt lodged in the throat.

Had similar happen last year. When I tried to unload an unfired load, it was hard to eject. Marks on the case suggested some sand in the chamber. I wiped and blew through the barrel and thought that I had it clean. When later in the day, and leaving a stand, I unloaded a different round and the bullet stayed in the barrel, powder all over. I guess that some sand locked it up. everything was fine after I cleaned up the powder and ran a cleaning rod through the barrel. Lots of sand where we were. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
[Linked Image]

Oh yeah, it's getting real good now. smile

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
755 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 81 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.