Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/573447262 This one could be interesting to watch. For whatever reason I thought they were all standard weights.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
it will interesting to see the followup comments, TAG

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The roll stamping looks all wrong to me. crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Fake. Winchester would have never let that gun leave the factory with the address beneath the stock line and the Definitive Winchester Proof in a vertical orientation. The barrel bluing is also not right. Obviously, there are a few who think it's the real deal....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm in agreement with you Pocono. The proof stamp, kind of makes you want to run the other way...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Polish on the barrel seems wrong.
Not liking the fit of the front sight.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Flat spot around roll stamp.
I could be wrong...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Caliber designation should be 250-3000 SAV.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...the originality speaks for itself alright! I'd be willing to bet that this was a product of a little shop somewhere in Korea or Japan.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kicking around M70's since the 1970's among a lot of sophisticated shops and collectors. Never seen these things and all of a sudden these "rare" calibers show up.

Never any factory authentication but we know how that goes .

What I want to know is....where were these rare rifles the last 50 years?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For the time frame this rifle was built ( assuming original) what rifling twist did Winchester use 1/10 or 1/14?

Doc

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
1 in 14"

Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The marking is so poor that it looks laser marked

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
No expert here but the bumpy nature of the barrel lettering looks more like modern laser engraving, not roll stamping. Could be just the picture but would be enough to give me pause if I were a serious buyer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Bidding up to $2500. It's ashhame someone is going to get taken on this one.

Last edited by robertacabin; 07/25/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The letters look like mis-strike you'd find on a coin. The only way it could be legitimized if it came with the original box. whistle

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scarcest M70 I recall actually seeing in the flesh was a pre war in 405 Winchester. Supposedly one of a pair, but it had a factory letter of authenticity. The whereabouts of the other was unknown.

IIRC these rifles were mentioned in a footnote or somewhere in Rule's book.

Never seen nor heard of these scarce FW chamberings that have suddenly popped up the last few years.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The fakers would have no problem coming up with a box. There is no way that gun is legit....

Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bidding up to $4200. Damn.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A fool and his money are soon parted so says WC Fields. I believe he would be correct in this instance.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
...rear sight is after market. Flat sides.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Scarcest M70 I recall actually seeing in the flesh was a pre war in 405 Winchester. Supposedly one of a pair, but it had a factory letter of authenticity. The whereabouts of the other was unknown.

Never seen nor heard of these scarce FW chamberings that have suddenly popped up the last few years.

Bob, doesn't the lettering look all bunked up? Should also be "250-3000" too, instead of 250 savage, don't you think?????

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Never saw a legitimate M/70 with laser markings nor with the proofmark in the vertical orientation. The rifle screams fake on many levels, whoever faked it shows an obvious ignorance of how a real M/70 looked. In more than 40 years of buying and selling pre'64 M/70's I have only seen a handful of .250-3000's, all were standard weights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The roll stamping looks all wrong to me. crazy

Same here. Immediately upon looking at it I thought the font was all wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it's a fake lazer etched or pantographed <sp> caliber marking

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bob, doesn't the lettering look all bunked up? Should also be "250-3000" too, instead of 250 savage, don't you think?????

bsa: You guy have sharp eyes for detail from a collector standpoint. Been years since I paid THAT much attention and I'd have to dig out Rule to answer.

Something does not look right.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Seller ended the auction....

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wonder if he figured out it was a fake or if someone offered him a big payday.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by PSH
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/573447262 This one could be interesting to watch. For whatever reason I thought they were all standard weights.

Woo, that one stinks. shocked

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, the auction is over and the bids never got to the reserve, so somebody dodged a bullet. I wouldn't touch a Winchester like that without a letter of authenticity from the Cody Firearms Museum.

All of the pre-'64 Winchesters that I still have from my Father's collection are lettered, so that when my kids sell them, the buyers will know that they are the real deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shame on the seller, if they didn't know it was a fake. If they did know and still tried to pass it off as original as their description implied, that's far worse. In either case, I won't be doing business with them. The world of collectible Winchesters is not that big and as a seller your reputation is everything. Scratch that one off the list...

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by PSH

I wonder if the magazine box and parts were original 250-Savage? They never did show that.

Where would they get a 25 caliber pre 64 FW contour barrel?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The entire barrel is probably a fake, since the only other factory specs pre-'64 70 barrel with a .257" bore would be chambered in 257 Roberts and that would have to be set back to have the chamber recut.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Well, the auction is over and the bids never got to the reserve, so somebody dodged a bullet. I wouldn't touch a Winchester like that without a letter of authenticity from the Cody Firearms Museum.

All of the pre-'64 Winchesters that I still have from my Father's collection are lettered, so that when my kids sell them, the buyers will know that they are the real deal.

I couldn't imagine having to swallow a pill that bitter 260. mad

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by PSH

I wonder if the magazine box and parts were original 250-Savage? They never did show that.

Where would they get a 25 caliber pre 64 FW contour barrel?

Metal guts from a standard rifle, bottom metal from a FW, presuming it's aluminum, the barrel was probably standard and came from a lathe. shocked

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Shame on the seller, if they didn't know it was a fake. If they did know and still tried to pass it off as original as their description implied, that's far worse. In either case, I won't be doing business with them. The world of collectible Winchesters is not that big and as a seller your reputation is everything. Scratch that one off the list...

And yes, shame on that sombitch, he knew better than to try and pull that BULLCHIT!

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by PSH

It's surprises me that this one didn't come from a well known seller in Florida.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Hopefully, the seller ended the auction after he was convinced that it was a fake. But, sometimes Gunbroker sellers make deals with people to buy guns and they end the auction and complete the deal off line. At any rate, someone is either unhappy that he found out it is a fake or is going to be unhappy when he finds out it is a fake.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Never saw a legitimate M/70 with laser markings nor with the proofmark in the vertical orientation. The rifle screams fake on many levels, whoever faked it shows an obvious ignorance of how a real M/70 looked. In more than 40 years of buying and selling pre'64 M/70's I have only seen a handful of .250-3000's, all were standard weights.

I have a pre war 250/3000 in a carbine but it's still a standard weight barrel, just shorter

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Where do you get a P64 M70 lettered?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSPfan
A fool and his money are soon parted so says WC Fields. I believe he would be correct in this instance.

Correct regardless of the truth of the matter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cody Museum?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
SN 412324 if anyone wants to take the time...

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
SN 412324 if anyone wants to take the time...

Polishing room records (ie. the date a receiver was serialized) exist for a certain serial # range of early pre64 M70's. There are no records indicating caliber or configuration for any other pre64 M70's with the exception of a few Special Order Guns for which records exist and provenance can be documented.

Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just found that out; looks like sn 49135-54805 is the range.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fake

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Could it have a barrel from a post 64 rifle on it?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I couldn't reply when this was fresh. I sometimes have serious compatibility issues with 24 hr CF.

Somebody bought all of the leftover parts and machinery in New Haven. The roll stamps etc were also in that inventory.
That is where some of these fakes are coming from.

This gun was a low quality fake. The markings were definitely engraved, not roll stamped. Also the improper proof mark.

I knew a guy, RIP, who would machine inserts and reclaim Improved or Rechambered chambers. This was done years ago; long before CNC machinery was affordable or even existed.

CNC machinery is a boon to forgers in all areas, not just guns.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For gosh sakes it's a BACO Special Run.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a host of thieves out there creating fake "rare" caliber barrels for the model 70, or even just mixing and matching genuine Winchester parts to create a rare configuration of gun (e.g. taking a .30-06 super grade stock and sticking a .257 Roberts action into it, making a .257 SG rifle). These people gut the collector market, forcing true collectors to shy away from any gun without a fully-documented provenance. It's a pity, especially when you consider all the work these counterfeiters go through for a relatively small amount of profit.

This particular fake is so bad, it really is more of a novelty item than a fraud. The badly engraved barrel stamp is so poorly done it is not going to fool even a casual collector. I guess there were people bidding on it, so it seems it was working to fool somebody, but I'd hesitate to put this rifle into the league where the true counterfeiters are playing ball. In some cases, these guys are making rifles so closely matched to the original factory guns that they are nearly impossible to distinguish from the real thing.

Justin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice to have you aboard Justin. Feel free to share your experience and wisdom on the fine subject of the all mighty pre 64 model 70. I started a thread, "let's see your Winchester model 70's", you might be interested in posting some of your nice builds on. That or start a new thread, explaining who you are and what you do. The last email you sent about the difference between the pre 64 receivers was good info. Keep them coming...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.