Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Looking for something to turn into a semi custom as money comes available . For now I want a rifle with a good donor action and a decent factory barrel with a twist rate I can shoot heavier bullets for long range shooting. I am looking at the left hand Rem. SPS varmint 243 model because there aren't very many choices for us leftys for an entry level PRS type rifle. I love my Tikka CTR 260 but it's a right hand gun. I will change the Remington trigger asap and drop it in a new stock and then when I get the funds rebarrel it. So is the Remington the way to go?

Last edited by Smokewagon; 07/25/16.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably my favorite rifle right now is an Remington ADL .243 ($369 at Academy Sports when I bought it). Just so happens to be one of the least expensive as well.

Original goal for it was just to be a donor action, but it shot very well in stock form. So I put it in a B&C Ti style stock, added a Timney and cut the barrel to 22".

Doesn't leave me wanting for much, for my needs...

This was with the first 5 shots of load development at 200 yards:
[Linked Image]

It wears a 6x MQ now and does very nice things with 105s.
Shoots better than I can, out to 600 yards anyway, as that's as far as I've had it.

Last edited by Holston; 07/25/16.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Buy it and shoot it til it's toast while you get good at practical competition. Plus you could rebarrel to the same bore and keep using same bullets and powder even if you choose a different chamber.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly what you described, but in a RH version. A few mods and tweaks. Factory barrel shot just fine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

382 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a lefty SPS-V in 243 for my wife a few years back. Had it cut back to 23" and bedded it in a McMillan. Was one of the most accurate rifles in my safe.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I got one last year, right handed though, thinking about making it a .260 rem one day.

The factory trigger adjusted down to about 2 1/4 lbs. and I don't see any need to change it out.

I put it in an HS Precision stock off of a 5R Milspec that I have and put a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 Mil Dot on top.

It shoots factory 100grain Hornady Whitetail ammo into small groups at 100 yards and dropped two deer the last day of our season, a 5 point at about 70 yards and a doe at about 225 yards.

I made up a load with 105 amaxes. I backed off a couple grains from a max load of Supreme 780 and loaded 9 cartridges. My first group was ok, sub 1", I let a friend shoot the next group that was almost one hole and I shot the 3rd group that almost went into one hole. We called it a day after that.

I don't think I'll be changing anything on it now. I'll just make up some more Amax loads and when the temps get below 90 I'll go shoot and get my drops out to 500 yards.

This is the 6th or 7th remington .243 that I've owned or shot and every one of them has been easily sub-moa and most much better for stock production rifles.

Just get one and shoot it. I don't think you'll go wrong with it, and it can easily be upgraded if you want to.

Bob.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ditto....I bought the same SPS LH in 243 maybe 2 years ago. When they ran a rebate (which you just missed by a week). Struggled with it at first. I dumped it into a better Remington HS stock and also added a Timney. I grew tired of trying to tweak the 105s to fly. I am at 2100' and could probably revisit the Hornady, but went a different route after running 100 different bullets through a stability calculator.

Currently running 95 grain Berger Classics and they run very well.

Lots of the other components are very difficult to obtain. Not sure 260 brass has been made by Remington in years. But 243 brass seems to be in constant production.

Think it's a great direction and choice.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Holston
Probably my favorite rifle right now is an Remington ADL .243 ($369 at Academy Sports when I bought it). Just so happens to be one of the least expensive as well.

Original goal for it was just to be a donor action, but it shot very well in stock form. So I put it in a B&C Ti style stock, added a Timney and cut the barrel to 22".

Doesn't leave me wanting for much, for my needs...

This was with the first 5 shots of load development at 200 yards:
[Linked Image]

It wears a 6x MQ now and does very nice things with 105s.
Shoots better than I can, out to 600 yards anyway, as that's as far as I've had it.

Mine is a 24" ADL in a Ti stock, tuned factory trigger, Talleys and a Mark AR 3-9x40. The 105 Hornady HPBT does great things from mine and the rifle is more accurate than I am.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan which ballistic app is that.....?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ballistic:AE for iOS.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks bud....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hello sir, thank you for contacting Remington arms. We appreciate your support sir, most of our firearms throughout the history of the line which about 66 years, have not had aluminum bedding block or a floated barrel, that is an inovation that gained popularity over the last couple decades. also importatnt to point out that we offer a number (I think around 5 at the moment ) of fully bedded rifle. in right hand. We currently do not make a bedded model in left hand because we cycle through our models only doing a couple of left handed models each year, so because one is not available this year does not mean that one wont be availavle next. we do this because the left handed market is not as big but rather then not producing anything in left hand like some of our competition we try to support the smaller market. if you are interested in obtaining a bedded rifle stock I suggest looking at bell and carlson, HS precision or mcmillan rifle stocks as these are the brands that we use. Have a nice day!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,075
Posts18,463,804
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.