Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I know of one outfitter that has Ribgy rifles available for use, that's a nicer gun then my SAKO. Plus it cost me $15 a day for storage at Africa Sky for my non-hunting days, plus rifle permit and service. I could have bought another gun for what it cost me to bring mine.

I know what it cost for the permit and the pre-approved paperwork via African Sky.

Please enlighten me on the rifle you intend to buy with the money you saved by not forking over the $150 that I paid African Sky for this service...

BTW...on my non hunting days my rifles stayed in my room along with all of my other luggage at African Sky...no charge

What gauls me is that we have a new person asking first timmer questions and you are flat out giving him outlandish false advise.

Like I said.....please tell me what rifle you intend to purchase with your savings?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Ok, my trip is 27 days, 7 hunting. Wife and child along for the ride. $635 (including gun permit) for the overnight at Africa Sky that I would not have needed if no gun to deal with. Plus $15 a day storage, another $300. Plus the airline fee of 100 pounds for the transfer. And of course the 1 hour check to deal with airline paper work. And the three $75 dollar charges from the travel agent to book my trip, so I would not have the hassle of flying with a gun but I had to deal with BA myself. So yes I think I could buy another nice rifle, maybe not another SAKO and a lot less hassle.

So next time you want to say bad advice, you might think before you put your foot in your mouth. I hope that you have been enlightened. That's $1,290 USD.

Now, let's say it was just me and hunting only no sight seeing. Well with over night at Africa Sky, airline charge and agent fee, that $500 USD. While that won't buy me a nice rifle it will buy me another gun, which is what I said. Nice pistol, maybe.

Sorry for the typos, using iPhone here in Cape Town, big thumbs on a little device.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 08/07/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your $635 Africa Sky charge is for an overnight lodging with 2 meals that includes a $150 cost for your gun....am I incorrect?

I've stayed there myself

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Correct, that's what I stated that the $150 was included. I would not have stayed overnight if it for the gun, I would have went straight to Kasane.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 08/08/16.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CharlesL
For non-dangerous game animals the 30-06 is great. I like the Merrell Moab Ventilator low hikers. I don't know about when you go, but I was there a couple weeks ago and there was some culling due to the drought.

Enjoy. I envy anyone going for the first time.

+1 on the Merrell Moab Ventilator. I was in Zambia last July for a 10 day Cape buffalo hunt and had a pair for back up footwear. Very light with almost no break in needed.

A word of caution: Hunting in Africa is addictive - beware! crazy

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our latest trip in May of this year, I took two rifles used a meet and greet, who also handled all the necessary permitting. It was $100 fee and $50 in tips, no problems for me. We spent 3 days in PE after the hunt in a B&B, didn't spend a cent for "storage". We didn't, however, travel around extensively before or after the hunt.

I plan on bringing a rifle again next year as well. My first trip I used my host's Brno 30-06 and it worked out well, I did miss using my rifles though. Just a thunk in passing

Charlie

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.