-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This looks tempting, not too big, not too small.

Does anyone have one and, if so, what are your impressions?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do not but we do have an Alumacraft Classic.

Solid boat. Can't complain about their build quality. LOTS of them around here. Everything from small boats for panfish to larger boats for salmon fishing Lake Michigan. Never heard anyone cuss.

Me

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the looks of that boat.
How does it compare price-wise yo a Lund Alaskan 18' ?

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I'm assuming the Yukon is Alumacraft's answer to the Lund Alaskan. The 20 foot Alaskan comes with a front casting deck, while the other models do not. While I haven't actually seen a Yukon, I'm going to assume that it is a flat bottom boat, i.e. no deep V hull which would make it the same as the Alaskan. To me that would translate into a somewhat rougher ride in the chop offset by being a lighter boat that would save some fuel.

In 2001 I bought a Lund 14 foot model A - their basic 14 foot aluminum row boat. I bought it to haul into remote Canadian lakes and that's exactly how I've used it. The bottom is completely gouged and scratch up. It has also had two trees fall on it so there are some ripples in the aluminum here and here. The only care it has received is I flip it over in the fall and there it sits all winter on the shore of the river. Through all that abuse, it does not leak so much as a drop of water - not one drop.

If I'm in the market for a new aluminum boat, it will be a Lund.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WFR

I just spend about 10 months looking at new boats. Came down to the Alaskan, Yukon, and Polar Kraft Dakota 1778. Here, the Yukon package with a Yamaha outboard and an EZ loader bunk trailer, was between $2500 and $3800 less than the Alaskan. Alaskan had a Mercury and a Lund trailer. Top it off, you didn't have to deal with the Lund dealers.

I chose the PK but when I picked it up, there was a Yukon sitting next to it. I liked the floorplan of the Yukon better and it was slightly larger than the PK but couldn't justify the added expense which was a little over $9K more.

Last edited by JDK; 08/01/16.
IC B2

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by WFR

I just spend about 10 months looking at new boats. Came down to the Alaskan, Yukon, and Polar Kraft Dakota 1778. Here, the Yukon package with a Yamaha outboard and an EZ loader bunk trailer, was between $2500 and $3800 less than the Alaskan. Alaskan had a Mercury and a Lund trailer. Top it off, you didn't have to deal with the Lund dealers.

I chose the PK but when I picked it up, there was a Yukon sitting next to it. I liked the floorplan of the Yukon better and it was slightly larger than the PK but couldn't justify the added expense which was a little over $9K more.

What was the price of the Yukon with the Yamaha and what size motor was it?
Hope you're enjoying your PK.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by WFR

What was the price of the Yukon with the Yamaha and what size motor was it?
Hope you're enjoying your PK.

I am

The Yukon was right around $15K with a 40 hp.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!
Seems reasonable, especially if that's a 4-stroke.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, 4 stroke. A 2015 I believe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.