Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by molly
+6 for knoxville, wherever that is.....

Idaho has too many dirt roads, 0 night life, no wimmins, LOTs of us dumb locals.....
And Nazis. Don't forget the Nazis. Der whole staat ist crawling mit dem....

In a more serious vein, can't help with any Eastern recommendations but good luck on your search. I've been in the same boat, looking for outdoor recreation opportunities but needing an urban setting to find work. That combo is tough to come by but there are still opportunities out there.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Pretty comical ain't it, that stupid phugger telling anyone how to live their life.

Bless your heart. Another transplant to Oregon contributes to it's demise.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
Knoxville or Nashville.

If you choose Nashville, live in the northern end out past Gallatin.

Westmoreland, Portland, Cross Plains?

Seriously there is better deer hunting in Middle TN compared to East TN (Knoxville)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You sound like a city person. Best of luck being happy with that.

Gotta have job opportunities. Don't like driving 30+ minutes to get groceries. I'd be living on the outside of town anyways. Hated living in downtown Seattle. Suburbs are good though!

Yeah. City person. Wouldn't wish your game plan on anybody. Sure you don't want to rethink your whole economy?

I'm 31 and single at the moment. Lot of single toothless chicks to blow me while I'm unemployed out in the sticks with my thumb up my ass? smile

Thanks for your input. Not interested in BFE until I got a nest egg to retire on. And don't want to commute 2 hours one-way unless I'm really making bank.

If Hookers are your thing, why not TX?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of good places to think about...

Knoxville is a very nice town, as many have said. Socially, historically, and politically, it's very different from Nashville. You might check to see which you prefer.

You might think about the Provo-SLC-Ogden corridor here in Utah. Winters are milder than some places, economic opportunities are good, and the outdoor life is excellent.

I've really enjoyed the Carolinas. Might check that. In one or the other of them, your hunting license includes your first six deer tags. You can get more if you run out.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Pretty comical ain't it, that stupid phugger telling anyone how to live their life.

Bless your heart. Another transplant to Oregon contributes to it's demise.

Lol. I was thinking of changing my name on my DL to "I'm not from here" because that's usually how I introduce myself, but sing it proud, sister.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by denton
I've really enjoyed the Carolinas. Might check that.

Far too close to my b!tch sister in Raleigh. Definitely want space from family, but a day's drive.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I love what little I have seen from Idaho. Including this little schitty gas station 50 miles from nowhere where a bucket of rocks tied to some twine was used to shut the bathroom door. No pay @ pump. Rattlesnake warnings as you walked in the front door. Owner had an old 20ga in plain sight behind the counter. Ice was used in troughs to keep drinks cold. No joke. In the middle of potato country, flat as a pancake.

CDA was nice too. Would have liked to have stopped in Boise. But alas, too far from family.

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
If Hookers are your thing, why not TX?

Everything's bigger in TX I hear!!! laugh

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Tell me more about why everyone thinks Knoxville?

Plenty of jobs, lakes all around, Smokies nearby, trout fishing, good hunting, and SEC football on Saturday.
+1, just a few quick pro/cons that come to mind.

Pro's

1. Smoky Mnts, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge (Tourist trap, but entertaining)
2. Centrally located to Nashville, Asheville, Atlanta, KY, ect.
3. Rated 5th best boating city in U.S. ,,,,lots of lakes w/entertainment for summer & fishing in spring/fall.
4. Tons of hiking trails, ATV riding.
5. Nearby range has 100-1000 yard targets
6. Plenty of nightlife, malls, restaurants, ect.
7. Our downtown BLM protesters last week consisted of approx 10-15 people and lasted about 30min.

Cons

1. Knoxville is growing at a rapid rate(sellers market).
2. Summertime is brutal hot
3. 10 million visitors a year into Smokys-Gatlinburg can make traffic a bitch at times.
4. Most bars & restaurants don't carry Bacardi Limon.

Gotta link to the range with the 1000 yards???

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Paris Tenn.

No income tax on wages in Tenn.
Shop at KY walmart/lowes.
I've heard it helps to be white in Paris Tenn; but I don't really know.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I hear what you are saying about Western Washington. I lived in Mukilteo for many years and the commute down 405, starting at Canyon Park was a nightmare.

With the requirements you listed, Knoxville would be a good choice, but I would head a little further SE to Charlotte (minus the sister issue). Medium sized big city, housing is reasonable (especially coming from Seattle) and the job market is solid. 3-4 hours to Myrtle Beach, a couple hours more to the Outer Banks. 12 hours to Chicago, 4ish to Atlanta and other medium sized cities are only a couple hours away. Winters are pretty mild and summers aren't too bad either (your gonna get humidity anywhere within 10 hours of IL), so it could be a lot worse. It does rain a fair bit there, but not like the "driving mist" you get in Seattle. If you are a golfer, the Carolina's are a great destination, plus northern FL is less than 6 hours and an easy drive down 95 for a weekend getaway.

Last edited by North6120; 07/26/16.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Gotta link to the range with the 1000 yards???

http://www.orsaonline.org/

Last edited by slg888; 07/26/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri would disappoint you.

Louisville Kentucky is full of jobs being on a big river...and just over the river is Jeffersonville IN were our sister company lives

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lot of good options offered here. Iam very partial to a arc that begins from Frankfort down thru Bowling Green toNashville. The prettiest part of Ky is IMHO the U.S. 27 corridor from Frankfort to Danville. Knoxville is nice with the park nearby but I would probably choose to live down toward Maryville maybe Louisville. Yes there's one in Tn. Be sure to check your crime stats as Tn has some issues as well as areas of KY. May not seem bad to city Dwellers but it seems there are daily shooting in Lexington. Usually drug/gang related. I suspect the same is driving Tn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you were thinking about that area I would consider Oak Ridge TN. Good amount of work and lots of recreation opportunities without the crime and sprawl of Knoxville but if you need to go to Knoxville it's close enough. Educated populous and a higher income (and thus services like medical care) than other areas around there.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

as everyone points out you have the park , lakes and it's just a beautiful area. I will also point out that there is a noticeable difference in weather. I live in S Ky and winter is about 3- wks later and spring is about 3-4 wks sooner. The redbuds and dogwoods will bloom a month sooner than in KY. This translates to a winter that is 30 % shorter than in KY.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, We're Closed.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From what you've described, Huntsville, AL would be worthy of a look. It's more than just rocket science.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Western Nebraska is a great place to hunt and fish, but no large towns. North to Rapid City might be good. 100k+ metro area, but winters won't be short.

You couldn't pay me to live in Missouri. Does anyone there not do meth?

East Tenn is nice. So are most places in the South East.

Being young, single, and looking for a decent sized population base, find a college town you like and give it a run.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.