Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the biggest challenge in my life right now!!

I'm in the exact same (where do I live) boat as you. However, I have the privilege of living and working from anywhere I desire for now including the road. Sooooo.... I have a 3 year discovery plan in the works.

I'm considering an on/off road cool RV that I can work from while having fun. Pick multiple destinations over time and base my stay's around the reason for the season. Example -- August in Sitka. The Keys in the Winter and early Spring.

Work and fish. Fish and work. Thanks IBM!!

3 eventual goals.....

-Work and play in as many National parks as possible while seeing the surrounding cities and small towns.

-Meet and play with as many trailer park gals as possible. Make friends!! grin

-Find that special place to eventually retire too, which is the ultimate goal.

I have 3 properties to sell right now. I will likely sell 2 and keep one in SC as a go to destination until I decide.

That's the plan and it all begins in about 6 months!!! I'm excited!!

May even take my sister and parents with me on some of the trips!

Last edited by byc; 07/26/16.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Tell me more about why everyone thinks Knoxville?

Cause you are only about 7 hours from the coast. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'm 31 and single at the moment. Lot of single toothless chicks to blow me while I'm unemployed out in the sticks with my thumb up my ass? smile

Thanks for your input. Not interested in BFE until I got a nest egg to retire on. And don't want to commute 2 hours one-way unless I'm really making bank.

You sound just like the left. Only city people are sophisticated. Toothless chicks in the country. All dirt roads in Idaho, people in Oregon still go to town on horses, no culture anywhere but the city.

Yep, a gen-you-ine city dweller. Is this one of those Yankees Steelhead is so fond of?

LOL
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

States I am interested in:
-Kentucky
-Tennessee
-Indiana
-Ohio
-Missouri
-Arkansas
-Others?

I wouldn't wish Ohio or Indiana on my worse enemies.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Plenty of jobs, lakes all around, Smokies nearby, trout fishing, good hunting, and SEC football on Saturday.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Knoxville

First place I thought of.....

X3
X4

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And if you pick Knoxville you can watch the Gators kick Tennessee's ass every other year without leaving town.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by byc
This is the biggest challenge in my life right now!!

I'm in the exact same (where do I live) boat as you. However, I have the privilege of living and working from anywhere I desire for now including the road. Sooooo.... I have a 3 year discovery plan in the works.

I'm considering an on/off road cool RV that I can work from while having fun. Pick multiple destinations over time and base my stay's around the reason for the season. Example -- August in Sitka. Work and fish. Fish and work.

3 eventual goals.....

-Work and play in as many National parks as possible while seeing the surrounding cities and small towns.

-Meet and play with as many trailer park gals as possible. Make friends!! grin

-Find that special place to eventually retire too, which is the ultimate goal.

I have 3 properties to sell right now. I will likely sell 2 and keep one in SC as a go to destination until I decide.

That's the plan and it all begins in about 6 months!!! I'm excited!!

May even take my sister and parents with me on some of the trips!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how is your sister doing byc?

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Knoxville: No state income taxes, the city is exploding with growth, large university there, tons of people under 40, low housing costs, close to mountains, great fishing and hunting, friendly people, everyone has a gun so very gun friendly and very friendly people. It even gets better if you move out of Knoxville a little, like to Loudon, where property costs are even lower, lakes right there, plenty of hunting, great little town. Knoxville, 30 minutes away.

Good luck with your move and congratulations on your decision to leave the left coast.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Hey CFT. Many thanks for asking!! I plan to post an update but for now we are in the clear.

Life for her is now quarter to quarter, which is a big reason for my decision and the post.

Much obliged Sir!!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc

Hey CFT. Many thanks for asking!! I plan to post an update but for now we are in the clear.

Life for her is now quarter to quarter, which is a big reason for my decision and the post.

Much obliged Sir!!

David

HOT DAMN!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lexington, KY.

Although Fayette County has very little land open for hunting ( lots of mega-million dollar horse farms ), everything around it is GTG. Elk hunting, trophy management deer hunting, small game & upland birds, varmints, and very friendly gun laws.

Lexington has a pretty low crime rate, housing costs are "reasonable", with several very nice small towns close by for commuting and lower cost housing. The city/county is a merged government, with a total population of approx. 250,000. Sounds larger than it feels. City is well kept. Bourbon industry surrounds the county, and the University of Kentucky is located there, also. Kentucky basketball drives a lot of the excitement in the area.

For a city, it's not a bad place to be.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I had to live east of the Mississippi KY and TN would be on my list.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by byc

Much obliged Sir!!

David

Great News!

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You sound just like the left. Only city people are sophisticated. Toothless chicks in the country. All dirt roads in Idaho, people in Oregon still go to town on horses, no culture anywhere but the city.

Yep, a gen-you-ine city dweller. Is this one of those Yankees Steelhead is so fond of?

Apparently you missed the smiley face.

It would also seem you would like to tell me how to live my life- that you want me to live just like you. How nice. I'll live my life how I like and not how you tell me to since I am in charge of it... and not you. You continue living how you'd like. Thanks for the (complete lack of) contribution to this thread.

ETA: And to everyone else so far, thanks for the input. Looking into Knoxville now... Keep suggestions coming. Thanks!

Last edited by bigfish9684; 07/26/16.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by byc

Much obliged Sir!!

David

Outstanding! Happy to hear it. 1 quarter at a time is way better than one day at a time. Good news like this always makes my day. smile

OP, you'd do well to listen to the advice offered by this man.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Southwest Ohio would be pretty good. Get within commute distance into Cinci for lots of jobs, shopping etc.
Seems to be a lot of growth, even down into northern KY.
Rush hour traffic is like any other big city, though.
Not as much winter there as in central and northern Ohio, either.

Terrain is rolling and varied, but if you want bfe rugged, just drive to the eastern part of southern Ohio. Poor as a mud hut, though.
Easy drive to Kentucky and Indiana for a change of scenery.
Jeffersonville Outlet Mall is a bit north off I71.

If you visit the Cincy area, be sure to check out Jungle Jims foods. All manner of international and weird stuff. They are in the fringe suburbs IIRC.

Gun laws are pretty good here: not much restriction on anything, and have come a long way in the last 15 years or so.

Not bad for fishing and hunting. LOTS of deer, and a little bit of everything else except bears and hogs. Pretty long bow season for deer. 'Yotes are fair game 24/365 except for deer gun season.

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 07/26/16.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by byc

Much obliged Sir!!

David

I love good news!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Plenty of jobs, lakes all around, Smokies nearby, trout fishing, good hunting, and SEC football on Saturday.
+1, just a few quick pro/cons that come to mind.

Pro's

1. Smoky Mnts, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge (Tourist trap, but entertaining)
2. Centrally located to Nashville, Asheville, Atlanta, KY, ect.
3. Rated 5th best boating city in U.S. ,,,,lots of lakes w/entertainment for summer & fishing in spring/fall.
4. Tons of hiking trails, ATV riding.
5. Nearby range has 100-1000 yard targets
6. Plenty of nightlife, malls, restaurants, ect.
7. Our downtown BLM protesters last week consisted of approx 10-15 people and lasted about 30min.

Cons

1. Knoxville is growing at a rapid rate(sellers market).
2. Summertime is brutal hot
3. 10 million visitors a year into Smokys-Gatlinburg can make traffic a bitch at times.
4. Most bars & restaurants don't carry Bacardi Limon.

Last edited by slg888; 07/26/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You sound like a city person. Best of luck being happy with that.

Gotta have job opportunities. Don't like driving 30+ minutes to get groceries. I'd be living on the outside of town anyways. Hated living in downtown Seattle. Suburbs are good though!

Yeah. City person. Wouldn't wish your game plan on anybody. Sure you don't want to rethink your whole economy?

I'm 31 and single at the moment. Lot of single toothless chicks to blow me while I'm unemployed out in the sticks with my thumb up my ass? smile

Thanks for your input. Not interested in BFE until I got a nest egg to retire on. And don't want to commute 2 hours one-way unless I'm really making bank.

Places with low cost of living tend to also have lower paying jobs. Go figure.

Given your apparent attitude about country folks, I'd suggest someplace already full of people fleeing the Left Coast, Colorado perhaps.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.