Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I never thought I'd be enjoying an AR, but I have to say these things are just plain addicting. Second time at the range today. It's an entry level gun- a Palmetto lower with a 16" Palmetto upper. I can't believe how simple these guns are. I'm going to try building one, and I believe as long as I pick up the right tools, and scrutinize the You Tube videos, I'll have little trouble putting one together from the ground up.

The wife and I went to an indoor range today. Shot a couple handguns and the AR. It's high at 50 yards. I came home and ordered a sight adjusting tool through Wal-Mart from Wheeler Mfg. and should have the elevation issue fixed shortly. I've tried all the magazines I picked up for the rifle-not a single hiccup. I think I am going to get a magazine loading tool just to make that project a little easier.

Man, I like these guns. Can anyone suggest a good factory load for hunting deer with these rifles. I plan on picking up a 5 rnd. magazine and getting a scope on top of this gun by fall.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
ARIC

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would find a bolt action rifle for the deer hunting, and put on a EOtech 512 on your AR. Look at the all reviews located in the link. If you think your AR is fun now, wait until you shoot it with one of these on there. It is remarkable optic and very simple. Again, look at the reviews. Also, this is a very good price when you add in the discount and if you have to hunt the AR to scratch that itch, the EOtech will help there too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...circle-with-1-moa-dot-reticle-aa-battery

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I never thought I'd be enjoying an AR, but I have to say these things are just plain addicting. Second time at the range today. It's an entry level gun- a Palmetto lower with a 16" Palmetto upper. I can't believe how simple these guns are. I'm going to try building one, and I believe as long as I pick up the right tools, and scrutinize the You Tube videos, I'll have little trouble putting one together from the ground up.

The wife and I went to an indoor range today. Shot a couple handguns and the AR. It's high at 50 yards. I came home and ordered a sight adjusting tool through Wal-Mart from Wheeler Mfg. and should have the elevation issue fixed shortly. I've tried all the magazines I picked up for the rifle-not a single hiccup. I think I am going to get a magazine loading tool just to make that project a little easier.

Man, I like these guns. Can anyone suggest a good factory load for hunting deer with these rifles. I plan on picking up a 5 rnd. magazine and getting a scope on top of this gun by fall.

Sounds pretty cool.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Man, I like these guns. Can anyone suggest a good factory load for hunting deer with these rifles. I plan on picking up a 5 rnd. magazine and getting a scope on top of this gun by fall.

Yes, they are addicting. grin

My neighbor uses the Winchester factory 64gr PowerPoint load to hunt deer and hogs. He says it works really well.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

The 62gr Federal Fusion gets a lot of good feedback for deer hunting.

Skip the Eotech though IMO, there are better options these days.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would also skip the Eotech.
I'd go with a lower power scope.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...Man, I like these guns. Can anyone suggest a good factory load for hunting deer with these rifles. I plan on picking up a 5 rnd. magazine and getting a scope on top of this gun by fall.

Yes, they are addicting. grin

My neighbor uses the Winchester factory 64gr PowerPoint load to hunt deer and hogs. He says it works really well.

Ed

Yep. Good ammo for deer & hogs. I have also used the new Remington Hog Hammer Factory Ammo with good results here in TX. It's loaded with the 62 grain Barnes TSX bullet.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/24/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've run Federal's Fusion loads in an '06 and in a .243 with flawless results. Good accuracy and dependable terminal performance. The Eotech's are good scopes, but probably a bit out of my price range for this project. I'm thinking a convention variable, maybe a Primary Arms, and putting it on a QD mount.

All ready thinking about building one. It will be a better unit-good trigger, better components, and a better upper. Hoping to round up the parts before the election. That one will eventually get an Eotech for sure.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
62 grain TSX bullets over TAC kill deer just fine, EOthing had big recall and major problems, 1-4 or 1-6 scope but get a good mount I like the LaRue LT-104, SWFA classic 1-4's "ok" glass but hold zero well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Your experience mirrors mine. What a hoot!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
check out the builders videos on Brownells site.....walks you thru the build process step by step

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't like recoil, and my heart dr. tells me I should like it even less. The nice thing about the AR is it's easy on this old man's shoulder.Just plain fun to shoot.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
64 nosler bonded solid base will make it behave like a much bigger rifle. That bullet will break a lot of bone and leave a 3/4" exit. I would shoot an elk with that combo without a second thought if legal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is that Nosler factory loaded? I'll be limited to factory ammo if I carry it for this fall. I might be hunting shotguns only areas the first weekend, so it might not hit the woods 'till our second or third weekend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I hope that you have a lot of good time with it. Bushnell makes a very good scope for the money. AR optics 3+9 149.00 3+12 169.00 At Natchez good luck

Loves gun and reloading casting my own bullets
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Academy carries the 60gr. Hornady stuff in factory form.

I'd be on that like stink on schit.

Clark

PS- Fugk EoTechs.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info guys. I got the sight adjustment tool I needed today. I'm going to finish off the open sights hopefully this week, and then pick up a scope, base and rings and get this ready for deer season. Most likely won't be 'till the second weekend of our season. First weekend I'll be hunting in a shotguns only area. Hope to head up north with the AR for the second and third weekends if I've got a tag to fill yet.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RAS
I would find a bolt action rifle for the deer hunting, and put on a EOtech 512 on your AR. Look at the all reviews located in the link. If you think your AR is fun now, wait until you shoot it with one of these on there. It is remarkable optic and very simple. Again, look at the reviews. Also, this is a very good price when you add in the discount and if you have to hunt the AR to scratch that itch, the EOtech will help there too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...circle-with-1-moa-dot-reticle-aa-battery

if you have an AR, damn sure no need for a bolt gun just for deer.. right ammo good to go... but it could be an excuse to buy another gun....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got a couple bolt guns that I've killed a lot of deer with. I'm getting to the point where I just want to have a good time when I hunt. If I take a deer that's good, but it's not all that important to me. Just looking for some different experiences. The AR will definitely scratch that itch.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
291 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.