Print Thread
Hop To
M
muddy22 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Can moly be cleaned out of a DBC'd bore by simply using a plastic brush and Hoppes? Thanks-Muddy

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No brush needed. Some solvent or soapy water on a patch works fine. These days I just patch the copper out with 1 or 2 patches of copper solvent, and leave the moly in the bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you want to continue to shoot moly just 4 or 5 patches of 50/50 shooters choices and kroil..one Patch of JB ..2 dry patches . after a few thousand rounds check for copper with Sweets.

this after 400 rounds

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use moly in units that exceed 3,000 fps. A patch wrapped brush, coated with JB paste, can have moly out in a few minutes. I've not run into a solvent that does an effortless removal.

Moly coupled with DBC seems redundant.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I use moly in units that exceed 3,000 fps. A patch wrapped brush, coated with JB paste, can have moly out in a few minutes. I've not run into a solvent that does an effortless removal.

Moly coupled with DBC seems redundant.

Hah, see your first paragraph and then my post above if you think so wink

No need to ever use brushes or JB in a DBC'd bore...

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I thought it was pretty well proven that moly had no value. According to Richard Vaughan in "Rifle Accuracy facts," it has no effect on accuracy or barrel life. All it does is use some of the powder energy (and pressure) to vaporize the moly in the barrel, which then condenses again. The result is lower pressure and of course lower velocity. So the handloader must add more powder to get the original pressure and velocity. Some end up adding enough more and get higher velocity but don't now they are operating at higher pressure than to begin with to do that.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reducing friction also reduces pressure, at like velocity.

M
muddy22 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The reason I asked is that a friend gave me 2 boxes of .338-250 NPT moly'd and I was going to use them for practice in my 340 WM and I didn't want to have moly deposited in the bbl. over the DBC. The simple question was, can it be removed from the bbl. w/only a plastic brush, Hoppes and patches? nothing more.-Muddy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME Yes

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Your comment goes against the laws of Physics. If you reduce pressure, you reduce velocity. Look at it this way. If you don't push something as hard, it won't go as fast.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Your comment goes against the laws of Physics. If you reduce pressure, you reduce velocity. Look at it this way. If you don't push something as hard, it won't go as fast.

True, but moly will allow you to add powder beyond where you would have maxed otherwise, thereby getting back up to max pressure and increasing velocity beyond the earlier parameters.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No it doesn't. Friction robs energy, which also robs velocity at a given pressure. It's not as straight forward as pressure=velocity. There are other factors that contribute to the net effect. Look at it this way, if you push something equally as hard, but have less friction (like a lubricant or a bullet with less bearing surface), it goes faster.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would skip all the hassle and remove the moly from the bullets if they are not already loaded. A strong solvent will usually take it off or a spin in the tumbler.

I would never use JB on a Dyna Bore Coated barrel unless I was getting ready to re-treat it. Don't know as I avoid moly but I would think the barrel would take much more prep after moly before you could re-coat with DBC.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the only thing MOLY might do that I would consider it for is eliminate or reduce the cold weld between the bullet and the brass.

That being said - no one has answered the - does MOLY in a Bore Coated barrel clean out a lot easier question...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I already said that it did...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No it doesn't. Friction robs energy, which also robs velocity at a given pressure. It's not as straight forward as pressure=velocity. There are other factors that contribute to the net effect. Look at it this way, if you push something equally as hard, but have less friction (like a lubricant or a bullet with less bearing surface), it goes faster.

The part of the explanation being left out is the fact it is not a single moment that determines velocity, but a complex equation written over a fairly long period of time with several different things going on.

Look to free-bore effect as an example.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the velocity deal. I've mollied three rifles. Each took about a 5% hit in velocity that I regained with a grain or two of powder. My initial reason for doing moly was copper fouling in a 257 Weatherby. It solved the issue.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.