Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'll be picking up a set thisbyear, but I don't know much about them. Is lighter always better? Are light ones as strong as heavier ones? Is there a certain height I should look for, I'm 6'2.

Any info or suggestions would be great.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been happy with a flick-lock model from Black Diamond.

I got the three piece model so they easily pack into luggage.

No shock absorber feature on mine so I can't comment on that option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 6' 2" also

I picked up a pair of Leki folders off of Amazon this year and so far I have no complaints

Mine are aluminum not carbon fiber

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 3 section aluminum set I like as it is easy to strap to your pack when not in use. I have a buddy who is a big guy like you who had one of his snap while on a backpack Coues hunt in the Charouleau Gap area. He wasn’t hurt too bad, but it could have turned ugly quick. I’d stay away from the lighter duty ones…

I prefer the non-shock absorbing models.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I am 6' 2" also

I picked up a pair of Leki folders off of Amazon this year and so far I have no complaints

Any particular reason you chose aluminum over carbon fiber? Pros/cons? Weight? Price?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I am 6' 2" also

Any particular reason you chose aluminum over carbon fiber? Pros/cons? Weight? Price?

The weight savings for the carbon is not much but I found mine used for about half the cost of the carbon ones.

I like that they are 15" folded so they fit anywhere I want to pack them and they deploy fast and rock solid

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
What length did you get, or is the length pretty much standard?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I carry 1 pole when hunting to use for hiking and for an improvised gun rest. I find that aluminum is too noisy in rocks. Every ding is echoed for 400 yds. Carbon is much quieter. A rubber tip is also much quieter than the steel point.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
What length did you get, or is the length pretty much standard?

They are one size that have an adjustable upper section.

This is the set I have....cork handles

https://www.leki.com/us/trekking/poles/2487/micro-vario-ti-cor-tec/?c=708

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black diamond z poles are the only way to role. No parts to fail exempt a small push button by the handle, and if for some reason it did fail, you could tape it up. For your height you would want the 130mm height.

I personal run the aluminum and they weigh nothing and are rock solid

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Costco. 3 piece carbon fiber, 29.00 for the pair.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I too use the flick lock model from Black Diamond. I've used them for the past 5 years elk hunting in CO and once hunting deer in SD. Unless I'm training or just hiking, I seldom use both poles. Mine have held up really well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really like shock absorbers -- they eat a lot of fatigue. Hard for me as well to justify the cost of the carbon fibers.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I've used Walmart/Bass Pro Specials, to Lekis. I use Lekis now for most my hiking needs, Mine did not extend where I wanted them for pitching a tarp so one small hole in each and Viola, It's set!

In Maine, I lost one on a river crossing so that night I cut a sapling and rigged another pole - once you get used to them you won't feel right without.

Also, you shouldn't put all your weight on them so they don't snap. I run mine to just at palm length and keep my hands on top, I may extend them slightly on a downhill, just to check my speed or stability.

I recently acquired a pair of Black Diamond 3 piece that I'm anxious to try out.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
This from the Black Diamond Literature:

WARNING: For hiking and trekking only. The strength of carbon fiber is compromised if the trekking poles's surface is dented, frayed, gouged, scratched, fractured, chipped, or otherwise damaged, which could result in structural failure.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Black Diamond Z Pole. I have tried both carbon and aluminum. I have broken the carbon poles in rocks (scree) but I still prefer carbon to aluminum. I originally thought they were just extra unneeded gear, but for crossing streams, hauling out a load, or for an improvised gun rest, they are very useful. I am 6'2" and prefer the 130cm, but 120 cm works also. I now use them with my SL3 tent so I get double duty out of them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got my carbons from Costco for about $30. They aren't fancy but they are flip lock and work very well. For hunting, they're far quieter than Al.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My favorites are the BD Flick Locks. I've been using the same pair since 2013, although the tips are gone from both poles.

I've had several cheaper sets and they did not hold up for me.

I avoid anything with holes in the tube wall as my experience is that they create weak points that can become significant at the worst times.

I have only had one pair of carbon poles - they broke before I ever got to take them hunting, so I have avoided carbon fiber. Given the above warning from Black Diamond and the millions of scratches in my AL poles, I won't be looking at carbon fiber in the future either.

Most decent quality aluminum poles have held up well enough, until the tips start to break down (break off). The difference is in the locks, and twist locks have a tendency to collapse when you put a lot of weight on them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
The difference is in the locks, and twist locks have a tendency to collapse when you put a lot of weight on them.

I think you need to go hang out on the daily workout thread......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I got my carbons from Costco for about $30. They aren't fancy but they are flip lock and work very well. For hunting, they're far quieter than Al.

I got mine from Costco four years ago. They are aluminum and they do make some noise and they have twist locks, which do occasionally slip. But they have been pretty durable and the cost was right. Since they have upgraded to carbon with flip locks, they might just be the best value available.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 54 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.