Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

We had a neighbor caring for two mentally and phisically handicapped adults. Jack sensed their weakness and it brought out his killer mode. I had to be VERY careful with him.

We've had a number of Rotts and they all seemed to have this trait. Fine dogs and great companions but you always had to be EXTRA careful with them. They could be good for years and then something can set them off and that aggressive instinct comes out. Usually over weakness or fear someone displays.

As much as we loved rotts, we just could never fully relax when we had one. You just never knew when that one time would come up. We've switched to labs and have been very happy with our choice.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had two friends with them. They were ok with me once they got used to me being around however I had the sense they never really fully accepted me. One of the guys got a new girl friend and his dog never accepted her until they moved in together in a new house. She went over first and was there when he brought the dog over. The dog had no issue with her after that and they became close chums for years until the dog passed.
The other guy had to get rid of his as despite the dog being around many people visiting the house he never became social.

Neither of these dogs ever left the owners properties much other than vet visits. I am no expert on dogs but i aways thought with rotties it might be more about turf than anything.

Niether ever bit anyone they would both just growl and try and block your progress around the houses. Made people nervous. I kind of got used to it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am sure most of you have seen this video, many breeds would probably do the same but it makes me grin that it was a Rott'.

Dave

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Memories...

The females are sweethearts, very good dogs, naturally protective of their people but still sociable. The males can be fine as well, but unless you plan to breed, I would have them neutered.

Mauser was 116 lbs, all muscle. He could be touchy with adults, but one time a ~4-5 year old boy tried to tackle him, before the boy's father or I could stop him. Mau thought it was great fun, and licked the kid's face. Our hearts started again.

A teenage boy once tossed him a football, despite me warning him Mau would chew it up. He basically destroyed the football in one bite. They are powerful animals, and thorough obedience training and socialization is a must.

[Linked Image]

I knew a Rott named Mauser... And another named Gabriel. Gabriel was the standard by which all Rotts should be measured.
Ditto those who are warning the OP to get a reputable breeder. Rotts which are bred too close to their own blood line are prone to cancer and hip dysplasia.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had nice one years ago.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Never had one, but I remember the first time I saw one. A brace of them, in fact. They belonged to Brian Kilcomins, the famous dog trainer. He was training my puppy German Shepherd back in 1980. One day he showed up to the house with a pickup truck, and in the bed were two magnificent Rottweilers. I had never heard of the breed before. After the training session, he gave them the release command and they jumped off the truck and sat down next to him. He then demonstrated their protection training for us. I found the breed very impressive, and thought I'd like one. He told me that they were a very rare breed in the US, and went for several thousand dollars. That was when they first made their appearance in the US.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Just a quick note about the rottie.

They are often compared to the sharpei, and pit bull, and recognized as a ferocious fighting dog.

It takes very little research to determine the differing origins of the breeds. Rotties were bred from cattle herding dogs. They are shepards at heart.

The genetic tendencies are much different than those of a breed whose ancestors were selected for blood sports for centuries.
They're mastiffs, used for guard work, descended from Roman war dogs. When the Romans left them behind, the Germanic people put them to work pulling carts and guarding cattle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had 2 of them a male and female. The female was a rescue which was severely abused by a previous owner(s). My kind hearted wife made a fine dog out of her , unfortunately Shadow had hip dysplasia and we had to end her life at 4 years of age. One of the tougher things I have done in life. My mother who grew up on a farm was in tears for days over this and she was not a big dog lover.

The male was a german import Rottie, weighed between 100-105 lbs his entire life. Bear was an Absolute Stud of a Dog, color , conformation,intelligence and demeanor off the charts .

My wife lived on a fenced 1 acre lot before we were married. SOme kid made a habit of riding his bike past the fence and hitting the chain link with a stick. One day I went out to put up a FOR SALE for the property and I did not close the gate right. Here comes the same kid hitting the fence and inciting the 2 rotties . I noticed the gate ajar and I could not make it there before Bear ran out and chased the kid down and knocked him off his bike.He stood over the kid and growled at him but there was no further damage. I walked the kid back to his parents house and explained to them what he was doing and not to do it again.

He died of cancer in june of 2001 and I miss him to this very day. I would have another in a NY minute. Train them right and let them know who the boss is and they are a fine companion. I am now taking care of a 12 month old Bull Mastiff and he reminds me a lot of the other two and he is even more protective of my wife and I.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RDW
I am sure most of you have seen this video, many breeds would probably do the same but it makes me grin that it was a Rott'.

One night my wife put her 2 rotties outside, we were watching TV and heard a loud crash against the house, An Armadillo unfortunately wandered into her yard and the Rotties were playing Rugby with it and throwing it around like a big ball.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in my oil patch days I spent a half dozen years or so living in Pampa, TX. Whilst there I became friends with the fella who owned a service station on the south end of town as they did work on some of our vehicles.

One day he took me out back to pick up something or other and inside a 8'x8'x6' high chain link kennel was the biggest, baddest, nastiest looking Rott I had ever seen. The owner said he weighed something like 160lbs and he and his son were the only ones who could handle him. This dog was loud and scary. He told me that they turn the dog loose inside the shop at night and he patrols the place until either him or his son arrives in the morning to put him up. As loud as he was I said something about that alone would keep out any intruders. He kinda laughed and said he doesn't bark while inside.

He went on to tell me about an incident a couple years earlier when someone had tried to break into the shop by busting out one of the lower windows on the overhead garage door and reached in to unlock it. Apparently the dog grabbed the guy by the arm and held him there for quite some time according by the blood left behind. In the morning all that was there was a mess of blood, some broken glass, and a dog. Somehow the guy got loose. The police were called and they checked the hospital for any mauled up arms that may have showed up over night. They found just one. grin

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a six month old Rottie female and she is a fantastic animal. She has eaten part of a recliner, sofa, several electrical cables and cords, bird, three rugs,several partially ripe tomatoes,and one pair of shoes among other things. She shows remarkable control she only ate one pair of shoes. She has helped me join the younger generation, I now have a pierced ear, nose and nipple thinks to her.
I can't imagine not having a Rottie.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My MIL's new boyfriend owned one and my son has the permanent scares on his face to prove it.
Pete

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 40O
My MIL's new boyfriend owned one and my son has the permanent scares on his face to prove it.
Pete

some people should not own them

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 40O
Pete

True for any powerful and capable breed of dog.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 40O
Pete

True for any powerful and capable breed of dog.

Very much so. You must remain in charge at all times, it is more work than other breeds but the rewards of loyalty and love are astounding from these types of dogs.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had a Bull Mastiff puppy for roughly 3 months , it came from an individual that didn't treat it right IE: kept him outside in all weather and at 10 months of age actually used him for breeding and who knows what else .

I would have much preferred a puppy to start out with but I will train this dog and do it right . The effort is well worth it and the rewards are just out of this world. I have never been around a more protective loving animal in my entire life. He is smart as all hell and he clearly knows who the boss is and it is not him. Getting back on subject I wish I had my Rotties back , maybe in retirement I will get a pair to go along with the Mastiff and the 2 parson russels .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.