Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
When we were in New Hampshire last week, 07/06 thru 07/13, we had a lot of fun dipping nymphs in the little pocket pools toward the headwaters of the Ammonoosuc River and Jefferson Brook near the base of the cog railroad that runs to the top of Mount Washington. No casting involved, just reach out and drop the nymph into the white water tumbling into the pocket pools, ranging in size 3'x6' to 5'x20'. We found that #10 cased caddis and Zug Bugs worked well. The little, 6" to 8", native and stocked, 10", brook trout weren't picky, just hungry. We probably caught 50+ over a mile of stream. The little 6" native trout had vivid colors and the water was crystal clear, a nice change from silver carp and brown water back in Nebraska.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hmmmm ... that sounds like a job for tenkara fishing. (Also sounds like a LOT of fun!)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Spent a lot of days chasing trout in the small mountain streams on the eastern seaboard. Those brookies colors in the fall are amazing

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Hmmmm ... that sounds like a job for tenkara fishing. (Also sounds like a LOT of fun!)

Tom

As they say in New England, "It was wicked fun!" and "A wicked good time for me and my boy.".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are FAR worse ways to spend time in New England, but damned few better.

Sounds like a great trip!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
There are FAR worse ways to spend time in New England, but damned few better.

Sounds like a great trip!

We drove from WRJ to Royalton on RT14 and I can tell you that the White River looked very tempting! I didn't see a single fisherman on the entire trip, but there were some kids tubing just south of South Royalton.

I had already spent $37 on a 7-day NH fishing license and didn't want to spend another $20+ for a Vermont non-resident fishing license.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love small stream fishing and looking forward to spending a lot of time exploring those streams in NH when we retire.

I make do with PA and MD now but north = better. grin

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds great.. We jsut got home from visiting friends and relatives in Mich and Pa. Didn't fish in Pa. Warm water fished in Mich.. But this week my step daughter and her son arrive and small stream brookie fishing is at the top of our list of fishing trips. Big trout are fun, but usually involve more fishermen.. Small stream brookie fishing is my favorite...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are the environments where one rarely encounters another angler around here.

1Minute
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I live near the most popular wilderness area in Kalifornia. Yet I've found many very small, spring fed creeks with lots of brookies. And no fishermen. Even bought a short, "Tight Quaters Rod" from Cabela's just for such places.
They will hit anything as long as you don't spook them.
Like others have said, a quality experience when you feel like getting away from it all.
In Nevada with some their streams flowing out of their remote, desert mountain ranges, it easy to catch whatever you need right in or near your camp. The F&G rarely plants them, I'm told. E

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Even bought a short, "Tight Quarters Rod" from Cabela's just for such places.

I'm always torn. Do I take my similar 7 1/2' 3 weight for these trips or the 9' 4 weight? Both have their merits. The short one because you can actually get a cast in (often from your knees) or the longer one because that extra length often means no cast or a decent roll cast is sufficient?

Choices choices. cry

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
we headed out today.. I used my old 8 ' Fenglass, and the kids had 8.5 ' Three Forks rods.. We managed to get enough for supper tomorrow even though this was their fisrst brookie fishing.. Pics later..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Even bought a short, "Tight Quarters Rod" from Cabela's just for such places.

I'm always torn. Do I take my similar 7 1/2' 3 weight for these trips or the 9' 4 weight? Both have their merits. The short one because you can actually get a cast in (often from your knees) or the longer one because that extra length often means no cast or a decent roll cast is sufficient?

Choices choices. cry

You need a tenkara rig. wink

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
You need a tenkara rig. wink

Great, someone else is after my disposable income. grin

There are some places, especially high gradient freestones where that is certainly the ticket.

Places like the Savage in western MD it would work great I suspect.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That stream would be perfect for it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Little mountain creek brookie fishing is about as good as it gets east of the Miss.

I used to take cheap 6' UL spinning rods and cut a good bit off the bottom of the blank. Re-glue it in the handle to make a handy 3 1/2' or so little pack rod. Wouldn't cast for schist, but most of the streams you could jump across with out getting wet.

Mountain Brookies are savage little beasts! I bet you could get a 6"er to hit a 3" Rapala!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One of my favorite Wy. brookie streams..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Jake with his first Wyoming brookie!!
[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sight fishing, spot and stalk style, on these type of streams is great sport. When I get really into, I don't want to stop for anything, and next thing you know it is 4 hours later.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My favourite type of fishing is working those small streams. The ones that you can wade easily and safely but big enough to hold trout of a pound or better on occasion are real treasures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 42 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.