Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Was watching the auction below on Gun Broker. Tho not stated in the title, to me it appears to be a LH Rem 700 FS. Was floored when it sold for $600 WITH scope. Basically a complete FS rifle with scope for less than the cost of a new McM KS stock. Would have jumped in on the bidding, but, was already enroute to pick up two new toys. Could not justify a third in one week.

Anyone else feel like the market is dropping on Left Hand rifles ? With all of the election year rhetoric going on, I would have expected an uptick in sales and prices. Thoughts ?

Left Hand Rem 700 FS on GB

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Long action standard calibers are everywhere seems like. Now start talking about short action LH, especially anything in a varmint caliber, and the market still seems to favor the supply side. At least on the used market.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The 700FS was a bargain, I think a .270 would have brought more money.

I had a Rem 700FS in .270....still regretting letting it go.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say about the LH market overall, I suspect what we saw these past few years was the shortage of components creating a panic driven bubble that extended into firearms as well. One guy raises his price, then another guy tries to get that same high price, then folks figure "oh gosh, better get one before the prices really go crazy..." and it fed on itself.

As to this FS, I don't think the seller knew what he had and other folks didn't either. He advertised it as a 700 ADL with a synthetic stock so it sounds like an el cheapo gun. Those FS models are about the sleepiest sleeper of the firearms market - a Brown Precision stock glass bedded to a Model 700 made when Remington was at the top of their game.

Someone definitely got a terrific deal on that one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Fairly certain the buyer knew what he was getting. Seems to pick up a fair number of Left Hand rifles over the course of a year. Especially "unique" or "under valued" LH bolt rifles. Part of the reason I didn't bother to jump in...

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just picked up a LH 1990 FS 270 in incredible condition for 700$. Had no problems handing over the cash!

Roy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt it; sometimes I miss rifles I want due to timing.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
In the last 2 years I found and purchased 2 KS 270s.One under $500.00 and one @ $550.00.I cerakoted both and for what I have in them,they are great buys for LH guns.

One was advertised as an FS and the seller seemed sure of what he had.It was a nice surprise to open the box and see a KS!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Perhaps the Ruger American and Savage Axis are pulling down the market?

Seems to be no shortage of them that can be purchased new for less than the cost of a used rifle.

Sako and Weatherby still have high asking prices but don't seem to get too many bids.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by HUNTNFISH

Seems to be no shortage of them that can be purchased new for less than the cost of a used rifle.

Sako and Weatherby still have high asking prices but don't seem to get too many bids.

For entry level guns, that's absolutely correct. They cost half as much and are pretty much guaranteed to shoot better and have better triggers than guns 2 or 3 times the price. It used to be the T3 that was looked on as the out of the box great shooting dependable gun. But, there are now 3 in that category, with 2 at low budget price points.

For high end guns, it might be more of an economy related thing. People aren't spending $4000 on Dakota's, Heym's and others, unless they actually have a safari planned. But at the same time, there are more left hand models made at lower prices by companies such as Cooper, that look just as good, and probably shoot better anyway.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by HUNTNFISH

I've got a RAR in .223 with a Timney trigger and a Cabela's 4x12 scope on it that I've tried to sell twice for 500 dollars without getting a reply. Oh Well, gun will shoot too. Elk

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would say the lefty market has more options for sure, and especially on the low end, but when the right buyer finds the right piece, market figures and trends go out the window.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here's another Lefty that sold for a song. Looks to me like a McMillan stock. If it is, the stock or the action either one would be worth what the entire rifle sold for. Only draw back to the rifle that I could see was the magna-porting.

Lefty Sako 375 H+H

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was watching that Sako and almost got in on the bidding. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I have an over abundance of magnum leftys and need to sell not buy.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The caliber definitely has an impact on the sales, but it is also correct that good, cheap factory rifles are cutting into the market.

I have a hard time spending money on an expensive rifle, when I can buy a new RA, Thompson Center, Savage etc., for a real reasonable price.

I am getting ready to re-barrel a rifle and it will cost nearly as much as a new rifle. It just depends on what you want.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by sbhooper
... I am getting ready to re-barrel a rifle and it will cost nearly as much as a new rifle. It just depends on what you want.

Definitely true. I wanted LH 9.3x62. Looked and looked and never could find one. So, I was going to buy a LH .30-06 as a donor rifle and do a re-bore. Luckily, at the last minute I found a NIB LH Tikka 9.3x62 at a gun shop in Indiana. They knew what they had and what is was worth, so I paid a slight premium, but it was definitely worth it (and much cheaper than a donor rifle - re-bore).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think the used market is very depressed across the board. Each month has set a new record for gun sales in the recent months. There's just simply more supply than demand. I've watched TONS of great deals sit in the classified much longer than I ever would have expected. Same with GB.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are only so many 270's, 06's 7mm mag, 300 Win mag, etc that one wants to own. The last two lefties I bought were a 260 Tikka, and before that a .204 CZ.
Another reason is there are a lot of us who been collecting rifles most of our long adult lives and are now starting to realize we don't have a use for most of them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Long action rifles are so last century, especially in a caliber greater than .264, with ROT that won't stabilize javelins.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope it is! I have a couple of LH boys to outfit... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 706 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.