Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, you guys that just think you're better'n everyone else 'cause you got some high falutin' Ruger American or some such. Well, I give you the creme de la creme of affordable, sturdy hunting rifles. Can we have a trumpet fanfare, please?

Ta-daaaa!

The Yugoslavian Sporterized M24/47 Mauser rifle direct from the Zastava factory! Hardwood stock with gen-you-wine hand checkering, 5 round magazine and sturdy, all steel CRF action. Yeah, eat your hearts out. wink

[Linked Image]

You can see more pictures in the link below. Pay particular attention to pics 4 and 6, you just don't see that kind of old world craftsmanship anymore and especially not at such an affordable price.

M24/47 Mauser Sporter

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I thought Jkob rifles belonged in the Custom Rifle forum?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Love the Schnabel.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not available in lefty though

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know, bummer! frown

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rate of twist???

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That hand checkering is only a little worse than some of the CNC work I've seen coming out of Ilion the past few years.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I thought Jkob rifles belonged in the Custom Rifle forum?

Snork! laugh

Or the classifieds whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a bit of a slut for an old Mauser. I think I'm getting a woody. The only flaw is the straight bolt.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Rate of twist???

Fast twist 1 in 8, normal twist for 8x57 is 1 in 9.45.

This was specifically designed for ultra-long range shooting of high BC bullets. Check out the range graduations on the open rear sight ladder – they go all the way out to 2000 yards!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of people in the 1950's and 1960's got their start in CF world via sporterized military Mausers. Mine was a Venezuelan 24/30 carbine in 7x57 that came out of the FN factory in Herstal, Belgium. I paid $37.50 for it at Welch's Gun Shop in Lebanon, NH, and, adjusting for inflation, it would sell for around $270 today, the same cost of a Marlin XS7 from CDNN.

That 24/30 action is still in use today, but as a much refined, rebarreled, and restocked 257 Roberts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yeah, you guys that just think you're better'n everyone else 'cause you got some high falutin' Ruger American or some such. Well, I give you the creme de la creme of affordable, sturdy hunting rifles. Can we have a trumpet fanfare, please?

Ta-daaaa!

The Yugoslavian Sporterized M24/47 Mauser rifle direct from the Zastava factory! Hardwood stock with gen-you-wine hand checkering, 5 round magazine and sturdy, all steel CRF action. Yeah, eat your hearts out. wink

[Linked Image]

You can see more pictures in the link below. Pay particular attention to pics 4 and 6, you just don't see that kind of old world craftsmanship anymore and especially not at such an affordable price.

M24/47 Mauser Sporter

Laugh all you like about the rifle, I would use it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All joking aside, I’d be tempted to get one except for that gawdawful checkering and the fact that they bent the bolt handle. Being a lefty I have a Swede 96 and standard issue M24/47 with straight bolt handles and they are not difficult at all to work from the left shoulder. Both have had the issue sights replaced with a Mojo peep and are plenty accurate enough to keep a 12” gong at 200 yards ringing merrily.

That, and the fact that they are overpriced by at about $100. You can buy sporterized Mausers made from various actions on gunbroker in the $200 range, and even bubbafied they are better done than these.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We posted at the same time but you’re right that these are perfectly serviceable rifles. My M24/47 in well used military issue condition works very well and while it has that Mauser clackety-clack action it is miles ahead in smoothness over a commercial Zastava Mauser I bought a few years ago. The basic barreled action is solid and dependable and plenty accurate enough for rough and ready hunting. They obviously modified the military issue stock but they did okay with what they had to work with.

But I just had to take a poke at that checkering... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least it's not drilled & tapped. smile

I've wound up with 2 or 3...err...4 or 5 Mausers & Springfields. They'd be worth a hell of a lot more money if they were as issued, but they were a product of an age where young veterans with families couldn't afford expensive rifles, so they made do with what they could buy surplus, then either sporterized the rifles themselves, or had a gunsmith do them as cheaply as possible.

And yeah, sometimes original sporters got a Bubba treatment as well.

A couple years ago I took a doe with Dad's .25-06, which was built on a Mauser action. It shoots quite well, as long as you mind the funky 1 in 11" twist barrel.

I have Dad's 03-A3, which acquired a Bishop stock sometime after July 1942, when it was made. I may take a deer with it this year. Although the Bushnell scope probably is going bye-bye smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I suppose there were few mil.sup. rifles around here is because there was No large game around here until the late '70s. Rabbits, squirrels, and ducks is all there were. Dad swapped his .45 Colt for a shotgun.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

But I just had to take a poke at that checkering... wink

How dare you? That's .5 LPI checkering.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not too crazy for the skip-line checkering either. grin But the rest of the stock work is acceptable.

Last edited by Joe; 07/27/16.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use the stock for camp wood. Drop the action into a plastic Ramline. Bingo! a Crapper rifle to leave leaning next to the privy. You and your buddies will never again miss that shooting opportunity. Sitting for hours on the outhouse stand, trying to push out yesterdays camp cooking.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by baltz526
Use the stock for camp wood. Drop the action into a plastic Ramline. Bingo! a Crapper rifle to leave leaning next to the privy. You and your buddies will never again miss that shooting opportunity. Sitting for hours on the outhouse stand, trying to push out yesterdays camp cooking.

Suminabitch that's funny right there. Can't quit laughing. laugh

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.