Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Unrepentent Sinner seemed to pretty much confirm that it is possible to possess neither a conscience nor a soul.

fwiw,
I think that is going a bit far...

That's probably pretty close, actually. Charlie reputedly did a lot more than he ever let on in print. Unrepentant Sinner just captures the "highlights".

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm going to have to get THE UNREPENTANT SINNER.
Yup,me too.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Unrepentent Sinner seemed to pretty much confirm that it is possible to possess neither a conscience nor a soul.

fwiw,
I think that is going a bit far...

That's probably pretty close, actually. Charlie reputedly did a lot more than he ever let on in print. Unrepentant Sinner just captures the "highlights".

Aware of that as well. Still stick by what I said on ALL counts...

You ever suspect that some of the young men who kill on behalf of this country might not be wrapped around the axle of self doubt and guilt? Hint.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I'm going to have to get THE UNREPENTANT SINNER.
Yup,me too.

I already ordered me a copy.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Gonna be awhile before I do,have a safari to prepare for.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
$25 on ebay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was about 7 years old, my parents took my little brother and me to an all-day barbecue at Harry Jersig's Auerhahn Ranch near Bandera, Texas. Jersig was the CEO of the Lone Star Brewery and one of my Dad's biggest customers. There were apparently a lot of movers and shakers there, although most of that was lost on me. I was just under strict orders to mind my P's and Q's and stay out of people's way. The major entertainment of the day was Col. Charles Askins and a small contingent from Camp Bullis.

There were shooting demonstrations and hand to hand combat exhibitions, featuring Judo, an art form that was just making itself known--at least to me. Col. Askins was not afraid to have his guys mix it up and there were some pretty hard falls taken with the good Colonel egging them on. Having grown up (to that point) on WW II movies at the Saturday "Fun Club", along with the fact that virtually every adult that I knew had been involved in WW II, it made a big impression on me.

I managed to get a chance to shake his hand and told him that I wanted to be a soldier, too, when I grew up. I still remember him sitting down on the ground beside me and talking about what it meant to be a soldier and what I would have to do if I were going to be a good one. Sixty-six years or so later, I don't remember too many details--just the pleasure of sitting beside someone who was supposed to be a hero and having him talk to me like I was someone much more important than I was.

Last edited by mudhen; 07/26/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A real hard azz, no doubt, Col. Askins had a soft spot for certain things. Those included his Dad, his Wife and his family. He lost his older son, Chucky, who died a slow death following an auto accident while the Col. was over seas. He was close to his second son, Bill. I don't think he ever got over losing his first born, just moved on.

You probably were of similar age to those boys and no doubt that had some influence. Even in his old age, he fed squirrels in his yard, had a soft spot for small animals.

He was a complex human.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/26/16.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting stuff!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A little off topic but Cabelas claims to have for sale his LH converted Model 70 .308 Norma

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It is interesting.

I think Charlie Askins would have been a formidable apponent to about any famous/infamous gunfighter of yesteryear.

I'd put my money on Charlie. He had the temperament, mind set and skills to pull it off.

He had a few friends and a lot of enemies, a number of the latter prematurely deceased.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tmitch
A little off topic but Cabelas claims to have for sale his LH converted Model 70 .308 Norma

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill Askins ended up with a bunch of his Dad's left handed rifles that he needed to move. He is more into dressage and fancy horses than hunting, shooting or guns. Those guns were sold at auction, so there are a number of them out there, some in unusual wildcat rounds, all custom to one degree or another.

I would think that one is authentic. They should have documentation.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
$25 on ebay.
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Mudhen, a very cool story.. You were lucky that day..

Moose and elk, Charlies book is a great one.. Every once in a while I take it down for a reread.. I have often wondered where the got the $ for all his hunting trips..

Somewhere I have a story by the Col. about hunting polar bear with a custom .308 Norma on a converted model 70..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How did he fund his hunts...?

While working as a WWII ordinance officer in North Africa recovering battle damaged tanks, during a lull in the fighting, he took a jeep and with a buddy, hunted sheep.

While in Viet Nam, he hooked up with a Chinese outfitter, hunted big game in S.E. Asia, using elephants in the high grass.

He improvised, took advantage of whatever situation he found himself in. I'm sure as a prominant gun writer, he got support from the industry for his safari's.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Dirt. those late African hunts were the ones I wondered about.. He made a trip there almost every year for many years.. I knew he made lots of hunts while in the army..
You have some great stuff on his dad.. I enjoyed the material on the Browning..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Anyone know at what age he died and what he died from ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
bc, I believe the Col. was at least 90, as for the cause of death I do not know. I have heard when he passed one of his friends told another, Hell just got fuller, Charlie passed on.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1907-1999, but he died at age 91, short of his 1999 birthday.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.