Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by deerstalker
just trying to practice my Christian beliefs.

I advise you stop doing that.

Dave

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're a better man than I. God bless you and I hope he doesn't come back, but I would take precautions.

People like that scare me and make me nervous. They're very unpredictable. I love my privacy and that's why I live a little bit off the beaten path. I generally steer clear of them.

About 17 years ago, my brother a I were expanding our company and opening another location. We needed to hire a lot of guys. He had the idea of hiring from this halfway house. They were mainly guys getting released from jail for drug convictions. Bad move! Out of 5 guys, only one was worth a schit and he quit to go to work as a counselor for the halfway house he came from. They ended up falling off of the wagon and went back to doing crack and then stole from us. One guy even came back a bunch of times to harass us and even called my house a few times in the middle of the night. A girl that worked for me had befriended him while he worked here. After he left, he broke into her house and stole her car.

Never again!

Last edited by StoneCutter; 07/26/16.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
he was a hard worker but the mental problems couldn't stay hidden.
think i may get some sleep for the first time in 3 months.

maybe i need my head looked at for letting it go so long.
just trying to practice my Christian beliefs.

Good for you for practicing your faith, ds... too few folks do that. And I'm in agreement with the others who say you did right by setting some firm boundaries yesterday.

But if I may say so, you might want to consider putting those boundaries in place at the outset next time you "take in a stray." I have learned this same lesson the hard way, but it's the ONLY way to keep your home safe and sane, especially when it's a male houseguest and your wife/kids are necessarily at some degree of risk.

My rules for houseguests are simple:

1) Set the duration of the stay in advance. For example, this last guy of yours I'd tell him he was welcome to stay for 10-14 days, or until his first paycheck. Then he would have to get out of the house. Period.

2) Set the house rules in advance: no booze, no drugs, and no smoking except in a pre-designated area. Moreover, no warnings; if he violates the rule ONCE he's out. (I didn't hold to this for my ex-wife's 20-y.o. son, who smoked everywhere despite my rules against, and when I didn't enforce the rule the first time he just took that as license to do whatever the fawk he wanted, including smoking pot on the premises when only his mom was home). DO NOT RELENT on your rules!

3) Be armed at ALL TIMES. A shotgun under the bed will do you know good if your "guest" goes berserk when you and he are in the kitchen. I know from personal experience, and others have told me the same, that the one time you don't have your pistol on you is the time that a situation requiring a pistol will come up. In my case, it was in a convenience store... I was cutting my grass, mower ran out of gas, so I rushed over to fill my gas cans and didn't pick up my pistol as I normally would do... paid cash for the gas, and as I turned to leave a mope I'd helped arrest a year before walked in, saw me, and initiated an assault.... lucky for me, a fellow officer pulled in seconds later and was able to tase the bastard, otherwise I'm confident he'd have seriously injured me, if not killed me. ALWAYS CARRY YOUR PISTOL.)

Three simple rules. Easy to follow, and it will make your life a whole lot easier.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My encounters with vagrants and the homeless go like this:

Them: "I am down on my luck."

Me: "I DGAF."

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Me: "I DGAF."

Dave

You spend a whole lot more breath and verbiage on them than I do.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Me: "I was too. Do what I did. Get a fricken job"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm compassionate. You're a mean-head.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm compassionate. You're a mean-head.

Clark

I should be more like you.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thankfully my wife would stick a knife in my ribs whilst I slept if I brought home a homeless guy to stay.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
deerstalker,

Take tedthorn's advice, and the advice to change all your locks. Oh, and here's my advice:

1) stop being a schmo.
2) when you put your pants on, put your pistol on.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Would expect no less from you Dave. Though i think your bark is worse than your bark is worse than your bite.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm a nice person.

Just not that nice.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And I haven't bitten anybody in weeks.

Clark

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Most of the "needy" today need a work ethic and basic morals, not one more hand out or excuse for why they are in the state they are in.

Yeah, they are that way for a reason....

There was a campfire member here that turned out to be like that...sad but what can ya do...

Kudos on trying to help out Deerstalker.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And I haven't bitten anybody in weeks.

Clark

damn! you are getting quite domesticated ain't you!
restraint, thats what we love about you!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
deerstalker,

Take tedthorn's advice, and the advice to change all your locks. Oh, and here's my advice:

1) stop being a schmo.

don't quite know what a schmo is , but i am who i am.
the ankle holster goes on before the pants, then the belt holster. then the shot gun/ rifle/ ar goes over the shoulder.
but i am NOT paranoid! lol

Last edited by deerstalker; 07/27/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
deerstalker,

1) stop being a schmo.

don't quite know what a schmo is , but i am who i am.
the ankle holster goes on before the pants, then the belt holster. then the shot gun/ rifle/ ar goes over the shoulder.
but i am NOT paranoid! lol

Paranoid no, but I bet you list to one side.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
the grenades do weigh a little.

sheesh now the woman wants me to take over washing the dishes! think not. fifty years and i ain't about to take on that chore.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good on ya, DS.
You gave him 4 months, three weeks and about six days more than our home would have.
We like to help in emergencies, but we also know human nature for what it is 98% of the time: opportunistic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
No good deed goes unpunished.

Amen. You beat me to it.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.