Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
A friend of mine here in Ontario owns a few hundred hectares in South Africa somewhere. So long as I fly there, he said he can hook me up with some places to stay, friends of his to go out and bum around with, a guide for a week, etc.

He claims that winter is the time of year that they cull a large number of animals, and that it will be a target rich environment.

I will likely be there for a few weeks, and the experience is more important than a "trophy hunt", although he assures me I will have a sore shoulder if I end up going on a cull hunt or two. I would like a hide or two for the house if possible, or even a euro mount. Something anyway.

He said they have lots of rifles, etc so I wouldnt necessarily need my own. He claimed that if I was to be set up with a guide, an excaliber crossbow or something would be adequate pay, since they dont have access to great equipment there.

Never been to Africa before, so start from the beginning here. haha.

If anyone has anything to add, advice, tips etc, please send them my way! I have lots of time, as it will be a jan/feb trip.

Thanks in advance!

Hutch

Last edited by Hutchy06; 07/25/16.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hutch,
All that I can add is that your guide needs to be a qualified Professional Hunter in the province that you will be hunting in.
In any other case, you will be hunting in the country illegally.

Furthermore, hope you have a blast!

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My PH told me this and I will always repeat it now..."spend less money on gear, and save more money for animals" I went with a short list for my first PG hunt....Oh how i wanted to take more. Suddenly some of that "nice" gear wasn't as wanted as another shot on an animal. Granted, if you're going for a cull hunt, its different...but you never know what you may see and want to shoot.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks guys!

I will find out more and more details eventually. I know rifles are a different topic altogether, but my big gun here is a Stevens 200 in 30-06. Its not a dangerous game hunt, but I know everyone will have their preference. Just using what they have there might be a good idea, but it would be nice to have my own rifle. If we take a few days to hang out in Europe when we stop, a rifle might complicate things though...

I dont plan on buying anything other than maybe footwear. I did Cambodia last year, and I wore keen sandals with toe bumpers for three weeks, and I know this is not an option for Africa, so decent boots will be about the only thing I will be buying.

Any good boot/ shoe recommendations?

I know it will not likely be a true outfitted hunt, but I am up for almost anything, and with a local connection I should be able to knock thousands off the price of an actual hunt. I should get more details soon.

Either way, pretty excited and it sounds like fun. I know nothing about getting hides/skulls home, so any info any of you have on that would be appreciated. I dont have the funds, or room really for a mount, so I think that is out of the question.

I know from other travels that you end up using far less clothing than you think, and bringing it is often a waste. I did Cambodia out of a badlands sacrifice pack that was mostly empty, so this should be a piece of cake also in terms of packing.

The actual hunting portion will be likely a week, week and a half, and me and the girlfriend will be traveling a bit after that.

Again, any info is appreciated!

Hutch

H
OP Offline
H
I run a few traplines here in Ontario, and part of me thinks a couple of Bridger number 5 coil springs would be fun to play around with there, but I am SURE that would be totally out of the question.

A guy can dream right?

lol

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winter is our Summer in South Africa

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
OP Offline
H
Yes, I will be going in our winter, which is their summer.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Plan for HOT!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
H
OP Offline
H
Welll, the only truly hot place I have been was Cambodia, and that was bearable. The culture there was to sleep between 1 and 3, which was the hottest time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For non-dangerous game animals the 30-06 is great. I like the Merrell Moab Ventilator low hikers. I don't know about when you go, but I was there a couple weeks ago and there was some culling due to the drought.

Enjoy. I envy anyone going for the first time.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Next time the gun stays home, too much trouble and expense. Just borrow if you can or rent one from the PH.

H
OP Offline
H
I chose the 06 as my versatile, big game gun here (although all I seem to use is a bow), and it seems to be about as versatile as a guy could want, and have enough knockdown power for just about anything id want to shoot.

My reccommendation from my friend was to bring one of his PH buddies an excaliber crossbow as a "present", and that would be pay enough for a week of shooting and fun. Does anyone know about bringing a crossbow into South Africa, and not bringing it home?

I know that guys coming from the us to canada have to bring firearms back with them, but I was wondering what the rules are regarding that.

It seems that quality hunting equipment is in short supply there. My buddies friends are always hounding him to go shopping at cabelas and bring them back stuff when he flies home. lol

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You cannot leave a firearm in RSA.

H
OP Offline
H
I guess it depends on if they consider a crossbow a "firearm"

Hutchy06,If you live in Ontario, Canada a bow is not a firearm and you don't need an EXCOL 1042. It is also not a firearm in RSA and therefore not a controlled item.

Rod Embree
KMG Hunting Safaris
North American Agent
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Next time the gun stays home, too much trouble and expense. Just borrow if you can or rent one from the PH.

Not in a million years would I do this.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just got back from a 14 day Safari with my son. This was our first time but went with friends that have been multiple times. I took their advice and bought Corteney boots, glad I did. They are expensive but comfortable and can't be penetrated by thorns. Make sure you wear gaitors and plenty of deet. The ticks in some places will eat you up. We took a 300 Win Mag, 300 Savage and 2 shotguns to hunt birds. The guns are not a problem if you follow the protocol. Don't skimp on the guns cases. The gorillas in the airport will do their best to destroy your guns. It was a great trip with great animals. Already trying to figure out how to get back soon.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Gonna try one more time with a .375 Wby BRNO and the wife's .270 Wby Mark V (because we have so much invested in them.) Otherwise, I am inclined to rent.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've taken my rifle three times, but am using the PH's rifle this time around. I know the protocol, used a SAPS service, and have had no problems, but taking one is becoming more of a PITA and every year.

I'll be gone 10 days, round trip, and am only taking a carry on bag.....stressless is nice.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/07/16.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Not in a million years would I do this.

I know of one outfitter that has Ribgy rifles available for use, that's a nicer gun then my SAKO. Plus it cost me $15 a day for storage at Africa Sky for my non-hunting days, plus rifle permit and service. I could have bought another gun for what it cost me to bring mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.