Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by KFWA
Knoxville or Nashville.

If you choose Nashville, live in the northern end out past Gallatin.

Westmoreland, Portland, Cross Plains?

Seriously there is better deer hunting in Middle TN compared to East TN (Knoxville)

I could live in Portland...They have a Sonic

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
From what you've described, Huntsville, AL would be worthy of a look. It's more than just rocket science.

that is a nice area - I'm partial to Guntersville and Gadsden

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP has the entire Shenandoah Valley, all of TN, western NC from Charlotte/GSO west, western SC from Columbia west, all of GA from an hour or so S and E of Atlanta, basically all of AL, MS, and LA, east TX, all of AR and KY, ... and that's just the SE. He's also got CO to about Grand Junction, and eastern WY and eastern MT as well as all the Dakotas in his geographic range to be close to the parents in NW Illinausea.

By God, if he can't find somewhere decent to live in those areas he ain't trying hard, and if he manages to f'k this up it's on him.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Missouri would disappoint you.

Louisville Kentucky is full of jobs being on a big river...and just over the river is Jeffersonville IN were our sister company lives

Why would Missouri disappoint?

(Plenty of meth problems in rural Appalachia, unfortunately.)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
FL panhandle is a nice. P'cola/ Mobile area. Straight up 65 to see the folks and you are still on the salt, if that matters to ya.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
FL panhandle is a nice. P'cola/ Mobile area. Straight up 65 to see the folks and you are still on the salt, if that matters to ya.

It's full, the beaches are black and the seafood comes pre-oiled...

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would suggest a long road trip and see for yourself. I have traveled the country quite a bit and it really helps in narrowing it down.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Missouri would disappoint you.

Louisville Kentucky is full of jobs being on a big river...and just over the river is Jeffersonville IN were our sister company lives

Why would Missouri disappoint?

(Plenty of meth problems in rural Appalachia, unfortunately.)

2 major cities....one being St Louis....remember 2014 Ferguson?

Jobs have left the St Louis area for Mexico

Kansas City.....St Louis 2.0

Look into Warrensburg or Knobnoster and these might be of interest but as for jobs, I can't recommend Missouri

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
As was said a while back , Springfield Mo pop. nearing 200,000 than add Ozark, Nixa, Republic, Rodgersville, All very nice , very close. Building is booming in theses areas. Right now I'm booked for over 2years , for dirt work on housing const. forgot Strafford & Willard.
And yes Meth does seem to be a problem in the "area" but no worse than a lot of other places it just gets publisized more be cause of the arrest, Maybe due more to a lack of other BS problems in the area that other places seem to have.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The most important thing to determine is where you don't want to live. If you don't move to one of those places, you're golden.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
The OP has the entire Shenandoah Valley, all of TN, western NC from Charlotte/GSO west, western SC from Columbia west, all of GA from an hour or so S and E of Atlanta, basically all of AL, MS, and LA, east TX, all of AR and KY, ... and that's just the SE. He's also got CO to about Grand Junction, and eastern WY and eastern MT as well as all the Dakotas in his geographic range to be close to the parents in NW Illinausea.

By God, if he can't find somewhere decent to live in those areas he ain't trying hard, and if he manages to f'k this up it's on him.

Too many choices can be as difficult as none, but it's not a bad situation to have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Fish,

Take a look at Poplar Bluff, MO. A Pretty little town (15-20,000 people?) at the edge of the Ozarks. A medium sized impoundment nearby with boating and fishing. Right next to some of the prettiest rivers in the ozarks. Tons of public ground nearby in the Mark Twain NF...

2 hours from ST Louis, and 5-6 hours from Savanna.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Yes, but you have Steak 'n' Shake (Frisco melt). And in the last 10 years since I left Oxford, a Culver's (Butter Burgers and Concrete Shakes) I understand.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
What about Nashville? Liking TN. Could handle a big city, just not living right downtown.

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Yes, but you have Steak 'n' Shake (Frisco melt). And in the last 10 years since I left Oxford, a Culver's (Butter Burgers and Concrete Shakes) I understand.

Culvers is pretty good I have to admit.

There is one not far from the Cabelas off of I-75

If you haven't been to Cinci in quite a while, its having a sort of revival - especially in the OTR area. Gentrification is turning that area into an electic area to live and dine.

Unfortunately all the undesirables seem to be moving into Clifton and ruining the cheap student housing for UC/Xavier students.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Rapid City, SD / Blackhills area would be another one on my short list.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about Nashville? Liking TN. Could handle a big city, just not living right downtown.

that what I was talking about - to see family in Illinois, live north of Nashville on I-65 - you have old hickory lake close by, and a bunch of open space for hunting.

Illinois state line is only 2 hours away and you can commute into the city fairly easily. They even have a commuter train in Nashville serving some of the suburbs.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/27/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Southern Missouri or northern Arkansas. The Springfield area has good infrastructure and health care systems.

Northwestern Missouri is OK too, close to Kansas City, put the fishing isn't as good and the winters are colder and snowier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Much better deer hunting in Middle Tennessee than East Tennessee, but better and more varied fishing opportunities in East Tennessee. I have lived in the Nashville/Murfreesboro and Knoxville/Maryville/Morristown areas for multiple years each. Both have their pros and cons.

Nashville is much larger than Knoxville and feels like a bigger city. The scenery right around Knoxville is much prettier, but you don't have to get far out of Nashville to be in some beautiful rolling hill country. Given the choice at my stage or life, I would chose Knoxville, but I love the mountains and trout fishing. Either one beats Birmingham where I live now.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
And more about Charlotte. Might be able to reside in the same state at my sister, but would need 2 dead locks on my door!

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
383 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.