Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Last night, "something" hit the windchimes that hang off the double iron post with the bird feeder. The chimes are there because 1) they sound really nice on cool morning with a breeze and the windows open, 2) my wife really likes them, and 3) because they serve as an alarm system for me when critters get on the deck or feeder. Anyway...

The chimes started banging around a bit, and at 0330 it's pretty damned dark out. Up gets me, light in one hand and pistol in the other. I'm thinking it's likely a raccoon or a possum after the bird food, and either needs to not be there very quickly.

Light up the area with about 650 lumens, and a pair of these is what I see -

[Linked Image]

Cute little bastards, and not nearly enough of them around any longer. I chuckled, switched the light off, went back to bed, and hope they ate their fill. I won't be upset at all having them and theirs come by for a late night meal.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went up for turkey to my buddy's camp in Pa. one time and they had a big feeder up on the deck. With the lights on at night it was a steady procession of flying squirrels working the night shift coming to that feeder. One thing I learned, is flying squirrels don't have good air brakes-man, they'd hit that feeder hard!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LMAO!

Yeah, I stayed in a cabin not too long ago that had a bunch of them in the roof. At night, they'd come into the cabin. Unbeknownst to me, the chair I was sleeping in was a regular landing strip for them. One landed on my chest, which certainly woke me up. It sitting there with those big black eyes staring at me with a "dude, where did you come from?" look was comical.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They were probably stumbling around out there in the dark for hours, unable to see a dang thing, after you hit them with that 650 lumen light. laugh
The little buggers are cute, but they can mess up an attic and make a bunch of noise running around up there.

Harry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yea, we've got a roof full of them at camp. They go apeshit when I get the fireplace going. Cute as they are, they need to GTFO.

smile

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Flying Squirrels? I always wondered what they looked like. We don't have those critters here. How big are they. I guess there a lot smaller than a Gray Squirrel. When I saw the picture, I thought it was a Chipmunk.

Where I deer hunt, I've got Fox Squirrels. They're as big as a cat.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my graduate students was studying niche partitioning in gray and fox squirrels in east Texas. One night he caught a very young flying squirrel in one of his live traps. He gave it to my daughters for a pet and we had it around for quite a while. After a few weeks, it had the run of the house when the girls were home, but it always went back in the cage at night, otherwise a good night's sleep was out of the question.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Flying Squirrels? I always wondered what they looked like. We don't have those critters here. How big are they. I guess there a lot smaller than a Gray Squirrel. When I saw the picture, I thought it was a Chipmunk.

No, you have them where you are, you just don't see them. Think about half-way between a chipmunk and a gray squirrel for size reference. Really about the same size as a red squirrel, if you're familiar with those. They are as much smaller than a gray as a fox is larger.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
One of my graduate students was studying niche partitioning in gray and fox squirrels in east Texas. One night he caught a very young flying squirrel in one of his live traps. He gave it to my daughters for a pet and we had it around for quite a while. After a few weeks, it had the run of the house when the girls were home, but it always went back in the cage at night, otherwise a good night's sleep was out of the question.

I've heard they make pretty good pets, and that such a routine is mandatory.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had one living in 3D elk target. I shot it and went to pull the arrows and a flying squirrel ran up my arm and jumped onto the tree beside it.

They are cute little guys.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Sean I think the pet versions are Australian Sugar Gliders...but FWIW I can't tell them apart.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I had one living in 3D elk target. I shot it and went to pull the arrows and a flying squirrel ran up my arm and jumped onto the tree beside it.

I bet that caused a reaction! wink

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Used to see them a lot when coon hunting.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I bet that caused a reaction! wink

It was fast! I jumped back and realized what it was at the same time. He stayed on the tree just watching me. I LMAO laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cra1948
Used to see them a lot when coon hunting.

Hmmm. You don't hear about many flying squirrels living in cities

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have them in Idaho, either. We only have 1 native tree squirrel, the red or pine squirrel and they're protected. We do have hordes of introduced fox squirrels and they can be shot any time where shooting is legal and there's no limit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

No, you have them where you are, you just don't see them. Think about half-way between a chipmunk and a gray squirrel for size reference. Really about the same size as a red squirrel, if you're familiar with those. They are as much smaller than a gray as a fox is larger.

So I take it that they're nocturnal?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

So I take it that they're nocturnal?

100% nocturnal. Very interesting little critter, too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had them living in the woods behind the house in Thurmont, Stonecutter. They'd glide over to the big maple tree right off the deck in the backyard just at dusk. They were fun to watch. Unfortunately they attracted the owls who were also fun to watch but very noisy!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.