Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Was just told by my optometrist that I have a cataract in my left eye and ocular nerve atrophy in my right eye. Have an appointment with an ophthalmologist next month.

The worst case scenario is blindness in my right (master) eye in an unspecified period of time. Ocular nerve damage cannot be reversed, so it is important to try to stabilize it and avoid further atrophy.

So I have two questions; first, has anybody dealt with ocular nerve atrophy, and second, what should I expect during and after cataract surgery?

Sure will hate giving up my shotguns and having to switch my rifles to the left shoulder.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/26/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bad news indeed!

The cataract can be removed. So hopefully your left eye can be saved and the right one stabilized.

I could never switch shoulders so I'd likely have custom stock made to be able to should right handed and aim left eye. Pricey, but there you go!

Best wishes and prayers for you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My mother in law had both eyes done for cataracts and it took about 3 weeks before she had good eyesight.

She can see far off fine but needs to use reading glasses now.
She said that if she knew how good it would be she would have it done sooner,she is 86.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cataract surgery is commonplace now and the rate of success is one of the highest of any surgery done. I had both eyes done a week apart. My sight improved immeasurably. There is no implant that can see both near and far so most people opt for clear distance and wear readers for close up. The discomfort was negligible.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife was very nearsighted before cataract surgery on both eyes. She got the toric lens' the left eye is set close up and the right eye is a distance lens. Its been two years, and she is still 20-20 and does not need readers. She is 71 yrs young and had worn glasses since age 6!

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Not to worry about the cataract. I've had rougher haircuts.

On a more serious note, I've spent a bit of time messing with scatter guns and teaching myself how to fit them. At one point, I wondered if I could shoot left handed and how much it would take to learn it. It can be done. Awkward at first, but amazing how soon you will be breaking targets. All the best in this challenge.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
My wife was very nearsighted before cataract surgery on both eyes. She got the toric lens' the left eye is set close up and the right eye is a distance lens. Its been two years, and she is still 20-20 and does not need readers. She is 71 yrs young and had worn glasses since age 6!
My opthomologist said that having different lenses like that seems to work much better for women. He didn't know why but said that men have a lot more trouble getting used to it while women tend to adjust rapidly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Cataract surgery as mentioned is now a breeze. Very seldom is there any problem. Avoid bumps and jars for a short time. The Dr. will give instructions. Sorry about the right eye. I had an injury to my right eye. After multiple surgeries I have vison but not good. I have switched from right to left shooting and now do not give it a second thought.

Good luck with this down the road.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,233
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.