Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Ok now adding Bush night and Leop to research thanks. Lot of love for the Bush never dreamed that but that's why I started this to get real users opinions.
Thank guys

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
World class mechanical stability and precision carries a weight penalty but if you are serious about wanting to effort towards 1200 yards, it's necessary... I'd say that's your first big fork in the decision tree.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
An ultralight rifle in a relatively heavy recoiling caliber (in that light of a set-up), to "learn to shoot long range out to 1200" for elk hunting...

Yeah, here's a recipe for success... crazy

Ding! Fries are done!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Congratulations on completing your law enforcement career, and thanks for your service.

Other people can help you with the scope question better than I, but are you sure you want a NULA in .300 Win Mag? It would seem like a dream retirement rifle would be one you would want to enjoy shooting a lot. I have a NULA in .257 WBY, and its recoil feels more like a 7mm does in a standard weight rifle. I think a .300 Win NULA would be snappy.

Clearly recoil tolerance is personal. I had a "perfect elk rifle" built in .300 Win: McMillan, trued Rem 700, Shilen, Jewell, etc. and ended up parting it out because the .300 was just more recoil than I shot well.

Today's good bullets also mean that lots of smaller cartridges are perfectly elk capable out to 600 yards.

My apologies for causing you to doubt a decision you have already made, but it would be a shame to have a 30 year dream rifle not be something that brought you as much well-earned joy in reality as you had imagined it would.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even when I was much more recoil-tolerant than I am now, 300WM was my least-favorite "flavor" of recoil. Snappy and sharp and nasty. The problem is, learning to shoot at longer ranges is a high-volume affair. A NULA 300 WM is not a high-volume precision rifle for most mortals. My 7 WSM Kimber is about on the outer edge of my personal tolerance, as far as a rifle I can put 30-40 rounds downrange with in a day, and still maintain precision.... And it's kicking a lot less than a 300 WM NULA.

Maybe just scope it with a good lightweight hunting scope, and buy a cheap 6.5 CM for long-range screwing around? Just a thought. Or, buy something like a GAP Xtreme Hunter if you want an expensive, high quality rifle that is still a decent carry but has the mass to be more shootable at long ranges...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If it were me,I would put a Leupold 6x36 on and go kill elk. The cow elk I've killed have been shot at 200 yds or less.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would put the heaviest scope I could possibly find on this one. smile

My first custom rifle was a .300 mag – a willowy 7.2# all-up.
One range session with that one was enough for me. I can't imagine getting proficient at longer ranges whilst getting pounded.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SKane
I would put the heaviest scope I could possibly find on this one. smile

My first custom rifle was a .300 mag – a willowy 7.2# all-up.
One range session with that one was enough for me. I can't imagine getting proficient at longer ranges whilst getting pounded.

Mine too (if a Custom KS counts) but .300 Wby Mag and it was vicious. I shot it for a half a year, never could get it to shoot good (or I couldn't shoot it well) and it moved down the road. I was 18 and all the guys that worked in the gunshop where I worked swore by them for the Tx Panhandle where we hunted. My next one was a 10# .280 Improved 40° that I shot really well and used for the next ten years. Then came the NULA .257 Wby which kicked like the heavier 7mm. It was shootable and shot really well but I should have done a .284 Win instead. Not a single one of them ever had anything over a 3.5-10x40mm at any point in time and all but the .300 Wby were killers to 500yds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All the [bleep] hard-won wisdom on this thread is making me want to go do something youthful and rebellious. Like re-chip my truck engine. Or date a stripper.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'd be looking at a dependable tracking scope with as much eye relief as you can get, in a NULA the 300WM will come back hard and fast but I hope you enjoy your new toy and your retirement!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If it were me,I would put a Leupold 6x36 on and go kill elk......

Uhhh.....yeah. A 6X would be good.

Bull Elk are kinda like...pretty large.

Of course I have no desire to shoot one at 1000 yards either.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading some of the post about recoil, I think biggest, best brake you can handle will make that rifle fun to shoot at any range. I remember trading off one of my early wildcats. A .30-.378. It is now a factory cartridge and I still don't want one.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats on the fulfillment of a dream that's awesome! A NULA in .300 Mag not only sounds like a tough one to shoot well, but also one that'll be tough on scopes.

For me personally I like a lightweight scope on a lightweight rifle. Also, on a hard kicker a stout scope is a must. The best way to get both lightweight and stout construction is with a fixed power.

I also just got my dream rifle... A Kimber 84M Classic Select in .257 Rob. I put a VXII 2-7x33mm w/ LRD. This is a rifle I'll shoot out to 500 meters for steel & 350 yards for game. That is my maximum effective range with that rifle/scope combo and if I wanted to go further than those two distances I'd get a scope with dials.

If I were you I'd start out with either a Leupold FX3 6x 42mm w/ M1 target turrets, an SWFA Super Sniper 6x which has turrets, or if you're really convinced you need a variable a VX3 3.5-10x 40mm w/ M1s. Those are all tough scopes with reasonable weight.

Once I had that rigged up I'd work my butt off to become proficient out to 600 yds. I found that 600 yds is MUCH more than 2x as difficult as 300, especially if wind is present at all. That's true of medium/heavy sporters... Add in a lightweight rifle and you've got your work cut out for you. If I could feel confident out to 600 I'd consider how seriously I wanted to go further and whether that rifle/scope was the vehicle to get me there, and adjust from there.

That's my free advice; good luck with the new acquisition I hope it's all you've dreamed it would be!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JeffO
Go with the stripper

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go with a Leupold VX1 3-9x40. Great optics and
all you need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
All the [bleep] hard-won wisdom on this thread is making me want to go do something youthful and rebellious.
Like re-chip my truck engine. Or date a stripper.

Or Both ;-)

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congratulations on completing your law enforcement career, and thanks for your service.

Other people can help you with the scope question better than I, but are you sure you want a NULA in .300 Win Mag? It would seem like a dream retirement rifle would be one you would want to enjoy shooting a lot. I have a NULA in .257 WBY, and its recoil feels more like a 7mm does in a standard weight rifle. I think a .300 Win NULA would be snappy.

I would suggest you take a hard look at the above post ! I have a model 28 in 300 win mag and another one of Melvin's rifles in 280 AI...guess which one I enjoy shooting and can hit the best with ! As far as elk the 280 AI kills them just as dead as the 300 without the pain !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Or, buy something like a GAP Xtreme Hunter if you want an expensive, high quality rifle that is still a decent carry but has the mass to be more shootable at long ranges...

Unless you're hunting the mountains with a backpack, I'd go this route.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 in Nightforce mounts. A little extra weight isn't going to hurt in your situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2.5-8 Leupold to keep the package nice and trim. If this wont work for your needs then nothing will. I shoot little coyotes to near 400 w a 7x on the top end Leupold.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
289 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,821
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.