Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gunner-

My vote is ---- Don't do it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Okay, Thanks, I was trying to relieve my 10mm problem by going 45 Super with my LB, guess I still have a 10mm problem. cry

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Gibby
I was talking about the mainspring. He is just starting. Many tend to go heavier. 24 lbs. or more. I think that is a big mistake myself.

I disagree, at least for heavy loads like 10mm and 45 Super. A heavier mainspring is the best way to delay slide unlocking without putting all that energy back into the return stroke, as a heavy recoil spring does. In my experience, (still talking about heavy loads) a 1911 set up with a heavy mainspring and mild recoil spring shoots smoother and stays tight longer than one with a standard mainspring and heavy recoil spring.

Flat bottom firing pin stops are a given, of course.
Install a better hammer if it's a problem; that's a lot easier to fix than battered lugs from lots of rounds with a heavy recoil spring.

If your experience is mostly with standard power 45 ACP, then your comment makes sense and I'd agree, but the Super and 10mm need a different approach.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/27/16.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Gibby
I was talking about the mainspring. He is just starting. Many tend to go heavier. 24 lbs. or more. I think that is a big mistake myself.

I disagree, at least for heavy loads like 10mm and 45 Super. A heavier mainspring is the best way to delay slide unlocking without putting all that energy back into the return stroke, as a heavy recoil spring does. In my experience, (still talking about heavy loads) a 1911 set up with a heavy mainspring and mild recoil spring shoots smoother and stays tight longer than one with a standard mainspring and heavy recoil spring.

Install a better hammer if it's a problem; that's a lot easier to fix than battered lugs from lots of rounds with a heavy recoil spring.

If your experience is mostly with standard power 45 ACP, then your comment makes sense and I'd agree, but the Super and 10mm need a different approach.

I think we are saying the same thing. At least I was trying to.

I shy away from heavy recoil springs.

My Delta is set up with SBFPS and 22lb mainspring using 22lb. recoil spring (stock is 23 lb.). It kicks the cases out about 4 feet.

My .460 Rowland Gold Cup caries a 20lb recoil spring. Same result. That is what a well designed ported match barrel fitted properly will do.

Additional bonus. Controlled rapid fire is a breeze.

That is why I do not like the Super. The setup is hard on the guns. There are better ways to get magnum power out of a 1911 if you want it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Gotcha, I thought you were saying a heavier mainspring is a mistake.

IC B2

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I should get a heavier mainspring and go lighter on the recoil spring? (Factory mainspring now installed) I ordered the Wilson flat wires 22 pound recoil spring .

What poundage for the mainspring?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
So I should get a heavier mainspring and go lighter on the recoil spring? (Factory mainspring now installed) I ordered the Wilson flat wires 22 pound recoil spring .

What poundage for the mainspring?

The Wilson flat wire is the best recoil spring on the market in my opinion.. It does load up it is a constant 22 pounds

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

While you are right about the effect of a heavier mainspring in what you've said, what trigger pulls are you getting with those 25 lb mainsprings?

Stock sear spring & hammer hook depth too?

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

While you are right about the effect of a heavier mainspring in what you've said, what trigger pulls are you getting with those 25 lb mainsprings?

MM

Are you asking, or wanting to argue? I'm honestly not sure from your post.

Trigger pull weight is a little heavier with heavier mainsprings of course, but not unreasonable. It goes with the territory if you want to build a 1911 for heavy loads.

None of my 1911 triggers remain stock for long, but the heavy mainspring setups do keep more engagement than lightweight target guns.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Interesting article.

Somewhat surprising that all his standard 45 & +P loads functioned flawlessly with a 28 lb. recoil spring.

MM

I followed the same advice from that article. My Sig runs ACP & Super loads perfectly with the 28 lb spring. Since my 45 Super is reserved for hunting only, the 28# spring if of no concern. Were I to do more common duty with it I would reduce the Super loads a bit & roll with a lighter spring.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Interesting article.

Somewhat surprising that all his standard 45 & +P loads functioned flawlessly with a 28 lb. recoil spring.

MM

I followed the same advice from that article. My Sig runs ACP & Super loads perfectly with the 28 lb spring.

I'd wager that if your 1911 runs 45 ACP with a 28 pound recoil spring then the locking lugs are poorly fit and unlocking prematurely

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Are you asking, or wanting to argue? I'm honestly not sure from your post.

Trigger pull weight is a little heavier with heavier mainsprings of course, but not unreasonable. It goes with the territory if you want to build a 1911 for heavy loads.

None of my 1911 triggers remain stock for long, but the heavy mainspring setups do keep more engagement than lightweight target guns.

Just asking. I've never put a 25 lb mainspring in a 1911; and unless I leave them at the stock 23 lb., in ACP's, 38 Supers or 9's, I'm usually going the other direction.

Heavy mainsprings make sense in some setups........just wondering what the trigger pull penalty was on yours & how you set up the hammer hooks & the sear spring.

A lot of good info in this thread.

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Keep in mind the difference between a 23lb and 25lb mainspring is only 8.5% - and trigger pull weight changes by about the same amount. A 3 lb trigger might end up at 3.25-3.5 lb for example; there's a difference but it's not a big deal.

Re. the sear spring - just my opinion, but I think you need a heavier sear spring more with higher slide velocity. The whole point of increasing the mainspring is to reduce slide velocity. The stock sear spring weight is probably adequate, but I just tweak mine until they work, as part of the trigger job, without really measuring it for weight.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/28/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So given all the combinations that you use on a Super to get what you want, what does the trigger actually end up weighing?

Since you have a heavier mainspring, probably actually increase the sear spring weight from stock & leave the hammer hooks at stock .023", I'd venture to guess something around 5 lb. or so, maybe a tad more.

Are you hunting with the Super or using it for SD purposes?

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
More like ~4 lb, or a little less. Never had an issue with them.

It was just for blasting. I don't carry a 1911 for SD any more.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Trigger pull is not directly proportional to mainspring power. There are frictional forces involved and others.

Polish

Hook

Friction on the levering parts.

But your correct, a heavier mainspring does increase the trigger pull somewhat.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK put the wilson firing pin stop on the gun.

Unfortunately I could not use the wislon flat spring.

My spring guide is too big in diameter

Which one do I need to use this spring? Here is a bunch

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=1911+spring+guide

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have never used the flat springs. I would not want to steer you wrong. Maybe someone else knows. Wilson's customer is very good. Call them to be sure. They will take your order also.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
OK put the wilson firing pin stop on the gun.

Unfortunately I could not use the wislon flat spring.

My spring guide is too big in diameter

Which one do I need to use this spring? Here is a bunch

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=1911+spring+guide

When you buy the flat wire springs from Wilson the first time the proper guide plug comes with the spring.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
guess I screwed up bought the spring only from midway I ordered one from wilson

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.