-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil, in the picture, the inordinate proportions of "the bear" and "the gun" belie the focus of one with the experience with both the animals and guns.

While I've had many handguns, I'm continually impressed by a good load out of a 9mm +P from my diminutive Sig 938.

Very good shooting.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BushCaddy
Probably the best advice you will get is to learn to carry and deploy BEAR SPRAY effectively.

And that is probably the worst advice.

I am only suffering under the delusions created by two attempts on real bears though and my lying eyes may have deceived me...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have used bear spray on a number of occasions and do recommended it -- but in this situation, where the bear came at a full charge through the brush and only appeared when he was within 6 feet of me and was between me and the clients within a very tight space, I am not so sure how effective bear spray would have been.

I admit it probably would have been better than than nothing

Phil, did you see the study from Port Armstrong on using tazers to haze bears? Pretty impressive.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...y_Interesting_Bear_Hazing_A#Post10924746

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just telling our local biologist about it yesterday. It was quite interesting. But I am not yet ready to give up my guns for a tazer with a blue dot lazer

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here is another photo showing the distances we were talking about. This is where we were standing and the dead bear can be seen in the background just left of the client

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good thing you can shoot!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bugger
Any three would work fine if you wanted to avoid the agony of being killed by a bear, that is if you were planning on shooting yourself. Be sure to open your mouth wide. Stick the barrel into the mouth pointing upwards. Squeeze the trigger. Don't jerk the trigger and miss.

Get a lot of bear charges in South Dakota?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't ever been around bears, but have hunted where they live without incident. My question is why do people think that a handgun is more effective than bear spray-which, by the way, is 90+ percent effective from everything that I have ever read.

It is pretty easy to say a pistol is better, if you have never used it and are not absolutely confident in your abilities. Bear spray, is easy to master and effective when used APPROPRIATELY.

I would sure like to see a study of results compared after reading all the input from the Wyatt Earps on here.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gettin' the popcorn ready.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I haven't ever been around bears, but have hunted where they live without incident. My question is why do people think that a handgun is more effective than bear spray-which, by the way, is 90+ percent effective from everything that I have ever read.

It is pretty easy to say a pistol is better, if you have never used it and are not absolutely confident in your abilities. Bear spray, is easy to master and effective when used APPROPRIATELY.

I would sure like to see a study of results compared after reading all the input from the Wyatt Earps on here.

Bear spray has a ton of advocates, mostly for bear safety (not human safety from bears) and the claims are often beyond ridiculous. One ad I saw included the claim of turning bears from attacks at as much as 50 yards.

The wind direction can make it completely useless, and that wind direction just happens to be the single most important direction... you are far more likely to stumble into a bear at close range if that bear is unable to smell you first.

Big emphasis on APPROPRIATELY so you should understand there are a ton of things spray does not do.

Not all bears are going to be turned by spray. Young insecure bears testing the waters are the most likely to need spraying and the most likely to leave because of it... but it is way too fickle to be relied on only.

And 90% is not going to give me a warm fuzzy feeling in areas where I might easily see 100 bears in a day...

A firearm pointed with the same APPROPRIATELY caveat will work virtually 100% of the time.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pepper spray might work in many situations.

I carry a gun because I don't want to be trifling with a pissed-off bear in any situation. Especially when the wind is blowing 20-30+ mph, or I am awakened in my tent in the middle of the night.

I'll save the pepper for my food.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

These two statements sum it up for me. I've never had to shoot a bear but have been in a couple of weird situations at close range. A gun feels much mo' better than a can of spray. A person really needs to be within 20 feet of a 500+ plus bear to grasp how insecure a guy can feel - especially when there's no where to go.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was just telling our local biologist about it yesterday. It was quite interesting. But I am not yet ready to give up my guns for a tazer with a blue dot lazer

As one who has felt the effects of a taser in a training situation, I can testify to its effectiveness on humans, but I have a couple of concerns about using one in a situation anything like the one Phil handled so adroitly with his 9mm. A taser is certainly powerful enough to take down a bear or a bull under ideal circumstances, but:

First, a taser shoots out two fine wires with sharp probes, which must contact skin in order to guarantee that the electric charge is delivered to the subject. It requires both probes to hit the target. If only one hits, there is no circuit established and there is no effect on the subject.

From Phil's pictures, it would be difficult in my opinion for the probes to reliably penetrate the brush, and even a stout blade of grass would probably stop or deflect a probe.

Also, the bear's fur coat would be quite likely to keep a probe from making close enough contact with the skin. No contact, no shock.

Additionally, you only get ONE shot, and there is no such thing as a quick reload. If the probes remain in the subject, however, you can pull the trigger additional times for additional shocks.

Lastly, as soon as the "ride on the lightning bolt" (typically 5 seconds per trigger pull) is over, the subject, whether man or beast, is immediately back to 100% physical and mental capacity. Most humans decide to be more cooperative, but a bear might just be mad.

I can see how a taser might be useful in a captive bear control situation, but have grave doubts it would be a good choice for bear defense in the field.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/27/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bwinters

These two statements sum it up for me. I've never had to shoot a bear but have been in a couple of weird situations at close range. A gun feels much mo' better than a can of spray. A person really needs to be within 20 feet of a 500+ plus bear to grasp how insecure a guy can feel - especially when there's no where to go.

Same here, if I had but a 9mm in my hand when a grizzly appeared at 6' I'd probably start shooting myself with the damn thing, there is NO replacement for experience!

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here is another photo showing the distances we were talking about. This is where we were standing and the dead bear can be seen in the background just left of the client

I posted this photo to show exactly how close and thick things were. The bear appeared in full charge from where the photo was taken and both me and the client are standing where we were. The boar was already in full charge when he became visible and maybe, just maybe, if I had started spraying bear spray as he erupted he might have changed his mind. Fortunately he was making quite a ruckus on his way toward us so I had my pistol in hand.

And for those who wanted to know about penetration here is a photo showing both the entrance and exit with the bullet still in place. this shot was not well placed as it was too far back and too high, but he was highly agitated and twisting and biting each time I hit him.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
As I said, this only happened a few days ago and the clients have left and I still have to turn the hide, skull and paperwork over to F&G in King Salmon this week. Like any shooting incident, it will take a little time for all involved to process and is not something to seek notoriety for. But it can be used as a learning experience and I have yet to decided how much and where I want to share it.
It is a coincidence that this forum topic, , my recent testing of 9mm and 357 Buffalo Bore ammo and then this incident came about at the same time.

The quick takeaway is to use common sense, listen to advice gained by experience, and take time to become comfortable and confident with your weapon of choice.

Tim Sundles, the owner of Buffalo Bore ammo, designed ammo for the "lessor" handgun calibers specifically for people who didn't want to expend the money and time to gain profeciency with large caliber handguns but still wanted something that gave them a resonable chance of surviving highly unlikely encounters like this with a handgun that they already own and are familiar with.

I had originally offered my article of my testing with the ammo to Lee Hoots, the editor at Wolfe Publishing, but he says he is not interested as there is not sufficient interest in the subject. I will eventually explore the possibility of working with AK F&G or somewhere where the topic is relevent.

Oh, and as much as I appreciated the light weight of the little 9mm, it's larger magazine capacity and ability to rapidly make multiple hits, I am not yet ready to give up either my S&W M-65 357 or my S&W 44 Mtn Gun ! And the jury is still out on whether a pistol like my son's Hamilton Bowen 475 Linebaugh would have been an asset or a detriment as complete pass throughs could have endangered others. Plus I was able to achieve 3 hits with the 9mm, each eliciting a response from the bear, by the time it would have taken me to recover and shoot a second shot from the SA Linebaugh.

I shot a grizzly on the Kelly River in 1988 with a 475 Linebaugh that came in on me while cleaning a moose. I was shooting a LBT 390 grain LFN that I cast out of wheel weights and water quenched. My friend hit the bear first with a 250 partition out of a 338 win. The bear went down and imediatley got up up as if spring loaded. From my angle I hit the bear in the back of the rib cage angling toward the off shoulder. At the shot the bear went straight down with a four legs straight out and never got up again. This was the first bear and moose ever shot with the 475 Linebaugh. I was impressed with the performance of these big bore revolvers then and now when loaded and shot properly.

[Linked Image]u

Great job under pressure ,Phil!

Last edited by jwp475; 07/27/16.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't ever been around bears,

from everything that I have ever read

Bear spray, is easy to master and effective when used APPROPRIATELY.

smirk Regale us on your experience.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bwinters

Same here, if I had but a 9mm in my hand when a grizzly appeared at 6' I'd probably start shooting myself with the damn thing, there is NO replacement for experience!

That's the truth. I sent the story to a guy I know that has seen bears on TV and hunted deer once when he was about 14yrs old. He called and started with how he would have had blah blah, I said stop right there because you would have done the same thing I would have, chit your pants and blowed your damn feet off trying to drag whatever you have out of your holster.

Those people were lucky to have 458Win with them.

Had it been someone like me the only thing that wasn't injured by gun fire would have been the bear.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
8 or so years back I met (now retired) WYF&G officer Bill Long. He had a long and storied history with F&G. We were hunting the Gros Ventre area and he was adamant that we carry bear spray as the bears were in the midst of a huge comeback in the area. He carried as his sidearm, a Glock 10mm. Mine will be loaded with 200gr Double Tap hardcast flat noses while we hunt Alaska in 6 weeks time. I sure don't expect it'll be needed but there's nothing else I'd rather carry.

I think it's hard to beat that combo of power, firing speed, bore size and number of rounds available from a magazine.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Had it been someone like me the only thing that wasn't injured by gun fire would have been the bear.

That is really funny <G>

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.