Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great to hear, they did well.

But if it had been a plate of donuts, what would have happened then? grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks everybody. They really are great kids, turning into great young men, seemingly in spite of me.

Partsman--Donuts would've been gone gone gone. And they would've mocked me later with tales of how good they are.

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
So....how you gonna show your appreciation for them doing what is right?

Well we went to Dairy Queen after church tonight, but that happens pretty regular anyway.

Without going on too much of a tangent.... We don't do rewards for good behavior or pay the kids for working around the house and such. I'm not a fan of "if you're good you get stuff" way of parenting because I think it leads kids to rely too heavily on the reward. And if there comes a time when the rewards dry up, the good behavior can too.

Instead I try to instill an intrinsic desire to not just DO good, but BE good. The boys didn't get to go to DQ because of their attitudes towards guns. I sat them down this afternoon and explained that their attitudes were an example of how intelligent, trustworthy, and resolved they were and how proud I am of them. They didn't just DO good, they ARE good. And I'm proud of who they ARE, which reveals itself in what they do.

So at our house we don't get special treats or money for doing stuff. But at our house we are good people. And since my boys are such good people I want to enjoy good things in life with them....like going shooting or camping or taking a trip to Dairy Queen.

It's not a huge difference mechanically in how it all works, but in how you approach it with the kids there is a difference and I think I can see it making a difference in them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The world needs a pandemic of this. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Man! you got some good kids; rare as hen's teeth these days. That doesn't happen by accident; good on you!

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
strongly agree with no rewards for doing household chores or doing the right thing

it's an expectation of normal life, not an event

also strongly agree when you have great kids, you're making a huge mistake if you don't share the things you enjoy with them

and do some of the stuff they enjoy whether you enjoy it as much as they do or not.

just really makes me smile to hear how you're raising those guys

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.