Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am a newbie to sailboats. I figure it is alot like learning to fly, seeing the sails are airfoils, so I am comfortable with the aerodynamics. I'm thinking I just need a few hands on lessons from an experienced sailor and I can pick it up. My question is this . . . I am looking to buy a home in Pensacola Fl for retirement in the next two years. I would like to sail as my retirement hobby. Do you sail boat owners recommend I start with an 18-23 footer to learn on, then sell it to buy a larger boat, or go with a 27-32 footer to learn on,? Here are some of the boats I have been considering . . .

18 footers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

23 footers

[Linked Image]

32 footer

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start with a small boat and learn the basics, then keep in mind it's tough to sail a larger boat without knowledgeable help.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take some ASA courses to get a feel for the 'rules' of sailing. Then join a sailing club and experience as many different boats as possible by crewing for others; this will have the added benefit of learning the tricks from numerous sailors. Make sure you do some offshore time to make sure you're up to it (some folks just can't get out of the bay without getting sick). Once done, charter a boat or two to get a feel for what you like/don't like. Then go shopping for a boat. Smaller boats will teach you a bit quicker than larger boats, but the same principles apply. If you're going to sail the Keys to the Bahamas, be aware of the draft of the boat you choose and leverage the experience of folks who live in that area.

As a counterpoint, some say to just buy a small boat and get out there today. That is what I did after taking the ASA 101.

*I am a lake sailor (past) not an offshore/ocean guy, so much of this advice is what I've seen offered to others in your shoes over the years. I'm far from an expert, but have owned from 12' to 26' sailboats*

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for your all's advice Snyper and Sock.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moving into your new place in Pensicola is first. When you have time find a sailing club or marina that rents boats there.

Decide if your wife wants to try it and if anyone gets seasick.

While I was a rifleman and hunter I was asked to go 1/2's on a cottage on an island in Long Island Sound that came with a Sunfish sailboat. I was in my late 20's then, lean and active. The Sunfish looked like sissy stuff but it became a challenge to go to windward, navigate and work the tides.

Then cruising on the 25', then 30', then 35' sailboat became a primary activity and my wife took to it as well. Now in senior retirement we have sold the boat and cottage on the water and kept the one in the woods.

We sailed some of the North East coast of New England on vacations and belong to yacht clubs.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Depends upon the boat and how it's rigged. You'll quickly outgrow any size you get so just skip one ass kicking and go midrange 23-27.

I'm sailing a 25 footer up to SE AK next May/June....I wish it was bigger.lol

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I am a newbie to sailboats. I figure it is alot like learning to fly, seeing the sails are airfoils, so I am comfortable with the aerodynamics. I'm thinking I just need a few hands on lessons from an experienced sailor and I can pick it up. My question is this . . . I am looking to buy a home in Pensacola Fl for retirement in the next two years. I would like to sail as my retirement hobby. Do you sail boat owners recommend I start with an 18-23 footer to learn on, then sell it to buy a larger boat, or go with a 27-32 footer to learn on,? Here are some of the boats I have been considering . . .

Richard Bach once wrote that the reason Aviators like airplanes and sailboats is that both free you from the constraints of time. The airplane because it compresses time over large distances and the sailboat because you're simply not going to go very fast and you can't do much about it. grin

I raced dingy's in college and skippered and raced up to 44' boats in my time including racing J boats in Pensacola. Owned a 24' San Juan with another NFO at Whidbey for 8 years.

For my 2 cents you can learn a lot more about how sailing really works in a smaller boat but unless you're just going to day sail, which I enjoy a lot, or race a planing hull like an International 14 then go with something like a 22-26' boat.

Are you going to sail it alone? Get a roller furling headsail. Get an auto helm. In NPA sailing that single handed would be very easy most of the time. With an auto helm on ours I could even fly the Spinnaker myself in light wind. I also recall racing in the bay where we had to drop anchor to keep from being swept out of the bay there is so little wind. Get ready to motor when you need a Bushwhacker at the Sandshaker grin

Bigger is in many ways easier but if you're single handing you will need some power winches (or wenches your call!) and frankly as far as there sailing part it's not as much fun unless you're off shore on a good reach as a smaller boat.

Buy used! Tons of good boats out there no one uses anymore.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Something I've always wanted to learn.

I will say that sailboats are some of the most beautiful works of art on the water - if you spend big bucks.

I live on Lake Michigan - lots of sailboats in the 2 marinas here in town but I rarely if ever see them leave their slips.

Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Moving into your new place in Pensicola is first. When you have time find a sailing club or marina that rents boats there.

Decide if your wife wants to try it and if anyone gets seasick.

While I was a rifleman and hunter I was asked to go 1/2's on a cottage on an island in Long Island Sound that came with a Sunfish sailboat. I was in my late 20's then, lean and active. The Sunfish looked like sissy stuff but it became a challenge to go to windward, navigate and work the tides.

Then cruising on the 25', then 30', then 35' sailboat became a primary activity and my wife took to it as well. Now in senior retirement we have sold the boat and cottage on the water and kept the one in the woods.

We sailed some of the North East coast of New England on vacations and belong to yacht clubs.

[Linked Image]

I too first sailed a Sunfish when I was a flight student in Pensacola. That is what lit the dream of someday owning my own blue water boat to sail the Caribbean.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saw this house for sale in P'cola. The sailboat parked in the driveway caught my attention.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda hard to say what size you need without you saying what your use will be. Going out on the occasional evening vs. cruising to the Bahamas, big difference.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Kinda hard to say what size you need without you saying what your use will be. Going out on the occasional evening vs. cruising to the Bahamas, big difference.

Ultimately want to sail the Bahamas when I feel I am experienced and safe enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Google Earth is new to me for looking at places.

Google Earth

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can learn basics in small craft on your own over time.

Or you can crew with experienced sailors on whatever comes along and learn how to survive the unexpected and excel in seamanship.

My first experience in sailing was a 12 meter crewed by absolute maniacs in a Santa Anna wind 'round the island during a race. Her name was Soliloquy and one of the lads near lost his arm when a halyard slipped.

Sailboats are a joy, and they can kill you quicker than a .45 if you are ignorant, stupid or both. Big fast boats are addicting and without mercy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Get one large enough to go to sea in and one with a good seagoing design. I spent a couple of years living on a 32 Roberts in the Bahamas 32 years ago. I wish my Wife wanted to give it a try,I'd do it again.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sailboats usually seem to be a mans follie/enjoyment vehicle. It's best to learn how to sail on a smaller sailboat or dinghy, and cruise on a larger more comfortable boat. It seems that aren't enough creature comforts for women on the long cruises.

Sailboats motion through the water is a lot nicer than power boats too.

Try it and you will like it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go hang out at a marina on race nights, yu can walk up and down the dock just saying "crew?" Someone will take you on as movable ballast. Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn a lot. I raced everything from lasers to 70 footers on both Chesapeake Bay and the ocean to Bahamas,

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just for your info: The two happiest day's in a sailboat owners life are the day you buy one and the day you sell it.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never been on a sailboat but have owned a few power boats. For me anyway, I always wanted something a few feet bigger no matter what I owned. Two-footitis is what it's called.

Boats seem to shrink the minute you splash them off the trailer.

Just sold my last boat and took the cash and picked up another 3rd generation 4-runner.

Best of luck with your upcoming retirement!! How exciting to have a new passion. Best of health and fortune. God bless.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You can learn basics in small craft on your own over time.

Or you can crew with experienced sailors on whatever comes along and learn how to survive the unexpected and excel in seamanship.

My first experience in sailing was a 12 meter crewed by absolute maniacs in a Santa Anna wind 'round the island during a race. Her name was Soliloquy and one of the lads near lost his arm when a halyard slipped.

Sailboats are a joy, and they can kill you quicker than a .45 if you are ignorant, stupid or both. Big fast boats are addicting and without mercy.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going into this with both eyes open, much with the same safety attitude I had when learning to fly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.