Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Gibby
BHN 5 ?

No, not a BHN of 5. My example simply shows that in most situations, gas checks are not necessary. That's where the varying of an alloy blend comes into play. You don't want to use just pure lead (BHN 5) anyways. Include at least 2% tin in the mix for good mold fill out.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don and Scott, I want to compliment you boys on your patience. We need to encourage everyone we can to get involved in shooting and learn about it. You fellas and Roninphenoix seem to have the right temperment to do that. I stay out of many discussions because I simply do not have the patience necessary and I don't want to discourage or piss anyone off by telling them they need to do some homework. You fellas are helpful and informative and that may encourage someone to go do some homework rather than me bluntly telling them they need to go do it.

This bullet casting forum is a great place for shooters to learn some good information without all the crap that is on some other forums at the Camp Fire (and all over the Internet.) You boys seem to always be the first to offer help and assistence (there are others here and I don't mean to leave them out), so I thank you for being there and doing that. I wish I had more patience to be able to do it, but I just don't, so I stay out of it and leave it to you fellas who are more tempermentally suited for such tasks. My hat is off to you, so if no one else says thanks for doing it, I sure do.

Last edited by BobWills; 06/30/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I've mentioned before, leading is related to bullet fit, bullet alloy, bullet hardness, the pressure of the load, barrel twist and the lube being used. Faster barrel twist and higher pressure at some point makes a gas check required but I've yet to find a magic threshold as there are other factors at play.

I've fired enough plain based bullets bhn ~13 loaded to ~40 kpsi @1200-1300 fps loads through revolvers to know that they can be just as accurate as gas checked gas bullets. But I'd also expect the same loads shot through a 1-12 or faster twist or cast from a softer alloy would require the use of a gas check.

I also have a 160 gr plain base bhn ~18 load that shoots as well as my 357 blackhawk can shoot that is likely clocking 1500 fps.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And Elmer Keith wrote a bunch of books about all of that and more and said it back about 1930. And Skeeter Skelton wrote two books about it. And Julian Hatcher wrote several books about it, and Towsend Wheelen wrote books about it, Ed McGivern wrote books about it, and J. Henry FirzGerald wrote about it and both Major Charles Askins and Colonel Charles Askins wrote about it and I could go on and on because this stuff has been known and written about in numerous books, magazines and papers for almost a century now. It is still being written about today.

And some forum menbers take time and carefully explain it to those who don't understand it. I applaud them.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/01/16.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
BHN 5 ?

Yes, pure lead will do it, powder coated. Mold fillout will be your biggest issue.

If you get the powder coating right, it'll shoot with no gas cutting or leading without any trouble. Accuracy may or may not be as good as a harder alloy, depending on the load, but it will be as good as you can do with traditional lube, without the fuss.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/01/16.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fella what wants to cast pure lead ought to jack up the temp to 800*. It'll fill out the mould. Been doing that for a fair while, no problems.

As suggested previously, bullet fit is more significant than alloy, to a point. The type of powder is relevant if one is trying to bump up the velocity as is lube, be it powder coat or whatever. I'm not a PC kinda guy, my pure PB bullets seldom travel more than 1100 fps, paper patched or lubed.

I do run 30:1 alloy upwards of 1800 fps with a gas check and 1400 fps or so without, BP and smokeless both. .25-.50 caliber. The .38 and smaller bullets used for smokeless get my own brand of dry wax lube which is dilute Alox and a dusting of mica/graphite before fully dry. The RCBS .38-150 SWC dribbles out of my 2" Smith around 900 fps with a bit more than average charge, this with the same alloy. Bullseye does the trick.

I don't do HP bullets anymore, but if so disposed that facet of design would have little influence on my chosen path. Got over that when I began choosing placement and penetration over hole size. Soft slow bullets don't hardly slow down for anything.

There was a time however when I was inclined to load the Hornady 148 gr HBWC backwards and forwards. Backwards will decapitate a 4' barracuda if a fella wants to retrieve hooks'n lures expeditiously. No leading from that soft alloy up to about 800-850 fps in the Smith.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The reason why I ask is, My son has a Model 10 4" also he wants to keep in the nightstand on his wife's side. All (over 6 million) Model 4" 10's were regulated for the 158 gr @ around 900-950 fps. The +P's about the same. Buffalo Bore sells those loads. I do not like to buy factory. I would like his wife to practice as much as she can with that gun. I want to push them so they still will be going fast enough at 25 yds. to expand reliably. I have the Speer 158gr SWCHP, but never pushed them that fast. Those are available from another source with Gas Checks. Do I need GC's?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Gibby,

No GC needed, just adds to the expense. Use one of these loads and you will be fine.

7.0gr HS-6
6.4gr AA#5
5.6gr Unique

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Gibby,

No GC needed, just adds to the expense. Use one of these loads and you will be fine.

7.0gr HS-6
6.4gr AA#5
5.6gr Unique

Don

Thanks, I'll take a look at those load suggestions. That is the burn speed I was entertaining. The newer BE-86 is right in there too. I like HS-6, but it likes Mag primers is my experience.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The reason why I ask is, My son has a Model 10 4" also he wants to keep in the nightstand on his wife's side. All (over 6 million) Model 4" 10's were regulated for the 158 gr @ around 900-950 fps. The +P's about the same. Buffalo Bore sells those loads. I do not like to buy factory. I would like his wife to practice as much as she can with that gun. I want to push them so they still will be going fast enough at 25 yds. to expand reliably. I have the Speer 158gr SWCHP, but never pushed them that fast. Those are available from another source with Gas Checks. Do I need GC's?

Gibby, are cast hollow points an option for you? If so, it's pretty easy to get expansion at that velocity or considerably lower, with clip on wheel weight alloy which is a good bit harder than pure lead.

Powder coated pure lead will shoot fine at the level you describe, without leading, but my experience is that a little harder alloy gives better accuracy. If you're using a round nose or moderate flat point bullet, pure lead isn't going to expand much anyway at that speed.

No need for a gas check, especially powder coated.

This was only ~725-750 fps IIRC, cast from wheel weight alloy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 07/27/16.
IC B3

G
Gibby Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks for all the help.

I have been handloading since I was 14 years old. Even through a long stretch through college. After college, my career was very demanding. I shot a lot. A whole lot. To do this I handloaded. I always wanted to cast my own. I just did not have the time. I have all the books going way back. A couple of people here have offer to help me get started. I am retired now but I still am pretty busy taking care of the spread. I even have a good source of wheel weights. Maybe one of these days.

I shoot mostly handguns by volume. The other day a fine gentleman from the 'fire suggested I visit this casting category because we do not have a "Reloading for handguns" category here. More people with analytical skills an less bullsh!!t here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for all the help.

I have been handloading since I was 14 years old. Even through a long stretch through college. After college, my career was very demanding. I shot a lot. A whole lot. To do this I handloaded. I always wanted to cast my own. I just did not have the time. I have all the books going way back. A couple of people here have offer to help me get started. I am retired now but I still am pretty busy taking care of the spread. I even have a good source of wheel weights. Maybe one of these days.

I shoot mostly handguns by volume. The other day a fine gentleman from the 'fire suggested I visit this casting category because we do not have a "Reloading for handguns" category here. More people with analytical skills an less bullsh!!t here.

They are not available where I live. I shoot pretty soft lead and it has been doing fine for me. But even my supply of soft lead is getting lean. I have started looking to see what I can find.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Scott, with all the traveling you have been doing, you ought to have three 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights that you took off of cars with Obama bumper stickers in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I get almost a full bucket everytime I go to Wally World. I expect to be able to continue doing that as soon as cars with Hillary for president bumper stickers start showing up. grin

Last edited by BobWills; 07/28/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobWills
Scott, with all the traveling you have been doing, you ought to have three 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights that you took off of cars with Obama bumper stickers in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I get almost a full bucket everytime I go to Wally World. I expect to be able to continue doing that as soon as cars with Hillary for president bumper stickers start showing up. grin

Darn it Bob, why didn't you tell about that before I left!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Altho, I have been casting for handguns and muzzleloaders for many years,
I have no experience or knowledge of 'powder coating'. What is it, where do I get it and how do I apply it?

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same powder coating that is used on various metal parts. Instead of spraying on a traditional paint, a powdered plastic is applied via static charge and then the powder coat is baked to cure the powder and change it into a hard plastic coating.

You can apply it via a static discharge gun, or "shake and bake". Look in the cast bullet forum for varoius threads that go into more detail.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Same powder coating that is used on various metal parts. Instead of spraying on a traditional paint, a powdered plastic is applied via static charge and then the powder coat is baked to cure the powder and change it into a hard plastic coating.

You can apply it via a static discharge gun, or "shake and bake". Look in the cast bullet forum for varoius threads that go into more detail.

You can learn all about it HERE grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.