Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looked at a brand new Marlin 336XLR today, haven't seen them on the shelves for a while, and I have to say I was favorably impressed. Wood to metal fit was very good, trigger pull was typical for a lever action but broke cleanly with no creep and working the action was very smooth.

Had crossed Remlin off the list a few years ago after seeing the poor fit of stocks and other signs of poor quality, but I had heard they bought new tooling and apparently they are getting their act together.

What are you guys seeing in the most recent production - good quality overall or did I just happen to look at a Tuesday rifle?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From what I've observed and heard, they have made great strides in getting things together.

The manufacturing personnel have had time to get proficient. I work in manufacturing, and it's basically an evolutionary process for an individual to be hired, then trained, then gain the practical skills whereas he learns how he influences quality.

The ones with pride in their work are a joy to have on your team. Some of them get damn good about making a good product even with fussy machinery and anticipating batch-to-batch variations.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Truthfully, right now is a bad time to be buying a gun from any manufacturer. Gun sales are at an all time high and they're all pushing to put product out the door as fast as they can. Quality always suffers under such conditions. I'm convinced the years of the Obama administration will go down in the annals of firearms history as some of the worst ever for quality.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Truthfully, right now is a bad time to be buying a gun from any manufacturer. Gun sales are at an all time high and they're all pushing to put product out the door as fast as they can. Quality always suffers under such conditions. I'm convinced the years of the Obama administration will go down in the annals of firearms history as some of the worst ever for quality.

Especially a Remington product.Remington had had it's share of recalls and delays in shipping new gun offerings.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have many JM Marlins and 2 Remlins, the Remlins shoot better than any of the JM's. the fit and finish of the newer Remlins are nice in the better grades,not so much in the lower grades.
just worked on 2 336's for a friend. number 1 had a 14lb trigger. would lock up if it wasn't fast cycled. took about 5 hours and polishing of all contact points to get it real.
gave it back with a 5.5 lb pull. any less would have been dangerous.
number 2 took 4 hours of polish to make it smooth. the trigger felt like dragging backhoe teeth across blacktop.
these were w models

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one in 45-70 and have had none of the problems that were there in the first ones produced.

Been playing with one that my bud bought this year in 44 mag.the only thing that had to be done to it to get it to group was to shorten the magazine cap screw some because it was to long.

They are as much fun as a 22,just a hoot to shoot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is there a quick easy way to tell if they are recent manufacture?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Well, Yogi Berra put it this way "you can observe a lot just by looking."

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You have a point.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd say anything since 2014 is a good bet, but obviously the newer, the better. And, if you can have a look at more than one of the model you want, even better. Date codes are Remington's codes, and are online.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

RemLin's S/N should begin with 'MR'

along with Ilion NY on barrel........less 'JM' stamp

too many real good Marlins out there F/S to take a chance

on a RemLin.....for me anyway......one of my fav's here..

'73 44M Octagon.....

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful rifle, sir.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i checked out a 1896G this weekend and it looked really good except for the forearms checkering was fuzzy.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new Remington manufactured Marlins look much better than the three JM Marlins I've owned. Won't buy a JM again.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

No JM stamp on the barrel, serial number will begin with 92,91, 90, or MR.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marlin-serial-numbers-dates-of-manufacture-1664.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
The new Remington manufactured Marlins look much better than the three JM Marlins I've owned. Won't buy a JM again.

Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You could not give me any of the Remlins I have seen.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Here is a link to the Remington barrel date codes. This should be what all the current Marlin guns have for stamp marks.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/remington_barrel_date_code.html

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

+1. My hunting buddies and myself have owned many JM's. The latest Rem are better rifles.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LovesLevers

+1. My hunting buddies and myself have owned many JM's. The latest Rem are better rifles.
More to a quality firearm than how it looks. I have to wonder if there's any truth to the talk on marlinowners that Remington isn't properly heat treating the levers and cartridge lifters in their rifles. Folks over there say they're not and the parts wear quickly. I'd like to run some through the hardness tester at work out of curiosity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blackheart, just run a file or stone even along a hidden part of the lever and you have the answer to that.
i worked on a pair of 336c's for a friend.
he bought them for his young sons. i had to put 5 hours each in them to get the trigger pulls down to 5+/- pounds form 12.5 and 14.5
you would get a cramp in your trigger finger on the 14.5

cycling one was decent out of the box. the other would lock up half way through the throw.
Rem has put some kind of finish on these guns that reminds me of a rino liner spray on. ant that is inside and outside.
granted these were bottom level models but they were so far below any JM ever produced it was sickening.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.