Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
So I bought a new[to me] 14' Honda CRV last week. Thanks to those that gave input on that a while back.
Apparently the previous owner has paid for XM satelite radio and yep I'm enjoying it while it's free. But if I were paying for it, I'd be trying to get a refund! Reception is awful at best here in the mountains of Appalachia, especially with the trees fully leafed out. Even on many four-lane roads I've tried moving into the left lane and it's still intermittent at best. I suppose if a person traveled the interstate or was out in the wide-open spaces it would be different. It is also very intermittent when I'm in town around these massive 3-4 story buildings. grin
Just wasn't expecting so much 'no signal' time, but hey It's free, until it isn't[which may be the next time I get in the vehicle].

FJB & FJT
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mom bought a new 2011 CRV and got the initial free XM. She wasn't that motivated to pay a subscription after it expired. I drove her around some and it was OK, but I agreed with her that it wasn't worth paying for considering that her errands are close to her house and she doesn't travel far at all.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No issues here.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They sometimes will negotiate rates. But that does not help reception.
I have had it in new cars but never take it beyond the free period. If I traveled cross country or drove a lot of long trios, it might be a good deal.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We turned on the free trial for our trip to NM and back. Will not be paying for it once the free trial is over.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It's all good, until it isn't free, then it won't be a problem. grin

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do you have the "shark fin" antenna?

I have found that those lose reception pretty quickly when there is a wall or bridge or whatever blocking it.

The alternative is a small "pole" antenna.

Secondly, XM negotiates on rates all the time. I think a normal yearly subscription is in the $140 range.

Every year just before the expiration (and the cost rolls over onto my credit card) I call them up, explain to them that I am cancelling my service, they ask why, I tell them too expensive and they offer to cut it in half to $77 or even a lesser 5 month introductory deal for like $25.

I honestly can't say if its worth to me or not, but I do it for my wife's birthday as she listens to it all the time.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Raeford
So I bought a new[to me] 14' Honda CRV last week. Thanks to those that gave input on that a while back.
Apparently the previous owner has paid for XM satelite radio and yep I'm enjoying it while it's free. But if I were paying for it, I'd be trying to get a refund! Reception is awful at best here in the mountains of Appalachia, especially with the trees fully leafed out. Even on many four-lane roads I've tried moving into the left lane and it's still intermittent at best. I suppose if a person traveled the interstate or was out in the wide-open spaces it would be different. It is also very intermittent when I'm in town around these massive 3-4 story buildings. grin
Just wasn't expecting so much 'no signal' time, but hey It's free, until it isn't[which may be the next time I get in the vehicle].

I Experience the same thing going home on I40 when passing exceptionally tall trees. I have had it so long I don't know if I could live without it(I take a lot of long trips). I tell them to cancel it at the end of the service period and they renegotiate every single time.

My wife's car has the sharkfin and my truck has a small flat rectangular unit on the roof and they are both about as effective.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 07/28/16.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had it for six years and love it. Have very few problems receiving coverage in East TN.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've had it for 7 years and can't stand to listen to regular on-air radio. It's got a lot more to offer.I hate being forced to listen to something I don't like. I've got like 30 stations stored in my radio. Plus I have the sports package and can get the NASCAR races as well as Basketball, Football, and Baseball. It gives you a lot of options. $140.00 per year I think.

The only problems with reception for me is if you have a steep hill is to the South West, when there is a hill with trees that are leafed out and it's raining and the leaves are wet to the SW, or in a bad snow storm and have a lot of snow on my roof and in the atmosphere. Bridges are sometimes only a blip on the radar, if at all.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not have reception issues unless I am in a parking garage with no view of the sky at all. Covered a lot of ground over the years listening to XM and I have not had the issues you raise.

I do not pay full price. I always call them up and say I am going to cancel and they drop the rate. Usually more than 50%. I figure I do not have to listen to a bunch of crap commercials and have WAY more variety to choose from so it is worth it to me. I put about 30,000 miles on a car a year.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
It's all good, until it isn't free, then it won't be a problem. grin

Nope. It started out bad and went downhill. We tried it several times and gave up and turned it off each time.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wildfowl
I do not have reception issues unless I am in a parking garage with no view of the sky at all. Covered a lot of ground over the years listening to XM and I have not had the issues you raise.

I do not pay full price. I always call them up and say I am going to cancel and they drop the rate. Usually more than 50%. I figure I do not have to listen to a bunch of crap commercials and have WAY more variety to choose from so it is worth it to me. I put about 30,000 miles on a car a year.

That's the odd part, it worked just fine in the parking garage at the hotel we stayed at in National Harbor last week.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had it in rentals. I thought it would be great on longer trips, wrong, without commercials I get bored. If I was back to over the road trucking I would have it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had it since it became available. Zero issues in the many places I lived including Calgary under the same US plan.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dale06
They sometimes will negotiate rates. But that does not help reception.
I have had it in new cars but never take it beyond the free period. If I traveled cross country or drove a lot of long trios, it might be a good deal.

I'm paying 6$/mth (each) for 2 vehicles. They'll deal with you. I've had it for 4+ yrs now.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
you might have a radio problem. my subaru has very little problem except in a few areas and i drive a lot in the PA mountains.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love it for driving across rural MT. Not many AM/FM options.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a relative who is an engineer with Sirius/XM. He got me started listening to Sirius about 10 years ago and I'd hate to be without it.

Got my wife a newer vehicle a year or so ago and it has XM and we too experienced signal issues - something I've never really had with my XM. I asked said relative about it and he said reception issues are common with XM, especially when traveling East/West or the reverse. Something to do with the location of the XM satellite. The Sirius satellite is apparently in a location in orbit that results in very few reception issues. Whodathunk that they'd still use 2 different signals and satellites so many years after the merger.

My recommendation is to ditch the in-dash XM receiver and get an add-on portable under the Sirius plan.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't give it up. I travel all over the SW and reception is great. Once in awhile I'll drive the truck that doesn't have it, just to remember how much regular radio sucks. I listen to a lot of audio books, too, but won't be without SiriusXM. I don't pay the full price, though. I call a couple of weeks before it expires to tell them I no longer need it, and listen to the rates come down.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 13 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.