-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I checked my GCI bill online and just about croaked when I saw they wanted $475 for a month of internet and four phones. I figured one of the ‘girls’ was responsible with their phone so I did some sleuthing of the bill details.

It turns out that we actually get a $680 credit when we’re on the rural ‘net. Seems the ‘standard’ internet service is billed at $880/month plus whatever level of service you want. Our’s costs an additional $50, so an out-of-pocket cost of $250 for internet.

SH|T!

I guess only $85 is another one of the city’s little luxuries I’ve been taking for granted. eek (I don’t take the city speed rate for granted however.....2 hours to print a dozen pre-paid USPS labels out in the boonies...GFM. )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am assuming that this is air internet. I am rural and get my internet through my telephone line, although it is now different than the old wire internet. Can't explain it but it comes through the same wire and you can use both at the same time. In fact the phone can go down and you still have internet. Not terribly fast but very usable at $40 a month. Back to air time, I got a new phone right before I went to TX. back in Jan. because I wanted the bluetooth in my truck. They charged the crap out of used air time although I did not use the phone for any of that. We had plenty stored up so no money involved, just loss of air time. I did not know until my wife told me after I got home and I turned that part off. No explanation of why my minutes were gone on something that I did not use. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No roads=no hard wires/fiber-optics, or otherwise. I know they run boxes in town; stuff out here - phones, internet...is all via satellite until it hits a local antenna station.

I don’t know who subsidizes the cost they reference in the bill. And I don’t know who, if anyone, would actually be able to afford internet if not for the credit.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You have lived in the Bush long enough to realize how pricy everything really is....

I had a very conservative hunting client a few years back (he is a member of the Fire) who was griping about the cost of the the pilot -about $800 an hour for the 206.

I spent a few mins. explaining how everything that arrived in Kotz arrived in via a badge 2x a year on in a jet. Then I spent a little more time explaining that the village planes (Bering Air) had a bag of mail or boxes of By Pass mail in the belly pod and that provided a subsidy to support the high cost of transportation. Finished up be explaining everything that in Kotzebue was subsided by the Feds or State in some fashion including the toilet he would most likely going to use on this Trip. Thanks Uncle Ted...

Without subsidies living in Bush Alaska would make it way to costly for almost all of...

Those of us who live in Alaska forget how dependent we all are on the government for our daily existence. We like to pretend that we are very conservative in Alaska but the bottom line Uncle Sam (Ted, Lisa, Dan and the military) make it possible.

Next time you fly into Kivalina, or many other villages be thankful you not the one carrying that Honey Bucket to the lagoon.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Man! At that rate, I'd go back to drums and smoke signals.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
You have lived in the Bush long enough to realize how pricy everything really is....

I had a very conservative hunting client a few years back (he is a member of the Fire) who was griping about the cost of the the pilot -about $800 an hour for the 206.

I spent a few mins. explaining how everything that arrived in Kotz arrived in via a badge 2x a year on in a jet. Then I spent a little more time explaining that the village planes (Bering Air) had a bag of mail or boxes of By Pass mail in the belly pod and that provided a subsidy to support the high cost of transportation. Finished up be explaining everything that in Kotzebue was subsided by the Feds or State in some fashion including the toilet he would most likely going to use on this Trip. Thanks Uncle Ted...

Without subsidies living in Bush Alaska would make it way to costly for almost all of...

Those of us who live in Alaska forget how dependent we all are on the government for our daily existence. We like to pretend that we are very conservative in Alaska but the bottom line Uncle Sam (Ted, Lisa, Dan and the military) make it possible.

Next time you fly into Kivalina, or many other villages be thankful you not the one carrying that Honey Bucket to the lagoon.

So you admit to knowingly being a parasite...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While I will not deny certain amenities befitting of a parasite, I noted that Hillary was spectacularly oblivious to certain states (which apparently aren’t really needed in order to win), not the least of which was Alaska. At no time did she suggest in any way that people in certain parts of the country are vital to the nation, let alone matter. That being said, I think it’s pretty obvious from some of the things that she said that Alaska’s economic health is of zero concern to her; in fact, our economy is a threat to the nation and world by her thinking. Consequently, I expect that she would much rather see us be funded largely through Federal benefits and hopefully watch a general decline.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was addressing Walt directly because he somehow thinks his miserable existence is worth government subsidies. And I strongly disagree...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WOW! And I thought my rates were bad. I'm on a mission to figure this phone/tv/internet thing out and get the costs to almost nothing without pirating.

I ditched the Black Berry and went to a flip phone, which was a good start 'cos now I have no data plan, which is not missed.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.