Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Which has greater influence on killing animals if all things else are equal (ie. velocity and caliber), a higher SD or higher bullet weight? Again assuming same mv and caliber.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Assuming same muzzle velocity and caliber, that is diameter and so radius, they are effectively collinear (move together) and indistinguishable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A high velocity 300 Win slug will explode and stop after going through about 3 milk jugs of water. A 45-70 slinging a 400+ grain slug at about 1,250 fps will penetrate around 20+ jugs.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by yazoomark
Which has greater influence on killing animals if all things else are equal (ie. velocity and caliber), a higher SD or higher bullet weight? Again assuming same mv and caliber.

It's a trick question.

As bullet weight goes up in a given caliber so does SD.

Bullet construction has more effect on terminal ballistics than formulas.

Another silly internet question.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
So just so I understand, for example, every 130gr .277 bullet will have the exact same SD etc? And Bobinnh, sorry to waste your time reading and responding to my question. Feel better about yourself now?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for example, every 130gr .277 bullet will have the exact same SD etc

Correct. It's the bullet construction / expanding characteristic that make the difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
A high velocity 300 Win slug will explode and stop after going through about 3 milk jugs of water. A 45-70 slinging a 400+ grain slug at about 1,250 fps will penetrate around 20+ jugs.

And, I can easily stop that 45-70 near dead in its tracks w/ a pail of sand, while easily shooting a hunting arrow through the same pail w/ my Hill longbow. Lessons learned:

1. None of that tells you anything about which has a greater influence on actually killing an animal.

2. Don't try to shoot at and kill animals standing behind pails of sand or water.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Teeder
for example, every 130gr .277 bullet will have the exact same SD etc

Correct. It's the bullet construction / expanding characteristic that make the difference.

I learned something new on the 'fire today!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

It depends on the linear coefficient of the bullet, based on relative humidity, temperature and altitude.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You left out rotational velocity and angular momentum.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So just so I understand, for example, every 130gr .277 bullet will have the exact same SD etc? And Bobinnh, sorry to waste your time reading and responding to my question. Feel better about yourself now?

If you did a bit of research yourself instead of using of depending on other people for information(I know this is a completely foreign concept to many people today), you could likely answer the question yourself....or at least understand there is no correlation between SD and killing effect except to the extent it affects penetration....and even that is more dependent on construction than formulas.

To further answer,"yes" as bullet weight goes up in a given caliber, sectional density increases.o that as you state every 130 gr 270 bullet has the same sectional density.But a 130 Barnes TTSX will generally out penetrate a 130 BT. What does this say about killing power?

Nothing.Like I said...."trick question".

Yes I feel just fine about myself mostly all the time. How about you?

If you don't I suggest therapy.

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Bobinnh, so to avoid offending you with my attempt to learn something, can you please provide some examples of acceptable questions that can be asked on the campfire. I guess my assumption that the campfire was for sharing information was way out of line.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH

If you did a bit of research yourself instead of using of depending on other people for information(I know this is a completely foreign concept to many people today), you could likely answer the question yourself....or at least understand there is no correlation between SD and killing effect except to the extent it affects penetration....and even that is more dependent on construction than formulas.

To further answer,"yes" as bullet weight goes up in a given caliber, sectional density increases.o that as you state every 130 gr 270 bullet has the same sectional density.But a 130 Barnes TTSX will generally out penetrate a 130 BT. What does this say about killing power?

Nothing.Like I said...."trick question".

Yes I feel just fine about myself mostly all the time. How about you?

If you don't I suggest therapy.
Perhaps I am wrong but isn't a forum like this a place to ask such questions.You are not obligated to reply however

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Comrade: It's also a place where one gets to respond as he pleases.

My original answer was not intended to be a smart ass response, but that's how the OP interpreted it.That is his problem, not mine.

The question was so ridiculous, I had no choice but to interpret it as a "trick" question since it literally has no answer.

It does't hurt to have some basic knowledge before asking questions. Ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that's solved, can we move on to the Coriolis effect?

Does the momentum of all those spinning bullets slow down the earth's rotation?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bobinnh, so to avoid offending you with my attempt to learn something, can you please provide some examples of acceptable questions that can be asked on the campfire. I guess my assumption that the campfire was for sharing information was way out of line.

Here is an acceptable question...

Is it EVER permissible to wear other than a leopard skin thong while shooting a .270?

All other questions you pays you money and takes your chance with getting poked at.

All responses to perceived slights in response to a question will be met with even more directly aimed slights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you use a high enough twist rate, you can slow down time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Comrade: It's also a place where one gets to respond as he pleases.

Truer words...! grin

yahoomark: don't take it personal. I've found that it's normal to take flack around here, but you will ultimately get your question answered. Sometime just takes persistence and a thick skin. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider it a weeding out proces.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
every 130gr .277 bullet will have the exact same gayness...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.