Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Drew the only non-resident muzzleloader elk tag for 2016 in unit 201. Hunted in there last year when my dad drew his tag and seen quite a few good bull everyday. He tagged out with a 357" 6x6

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
congrats. that a good hunt

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had my tag in 2009,only rifle.PM if you need any additional info.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Millerjj
Drew the only non-resident muzzleloader elk tag for 2016 in unit 201. Hunted in there last year when my dad drew his tag and seen quite a few good bull everyday. He tagged out with a 357" 6x6
Millerjj:

Congratulations!!!

How many points did you have?

Hope you have a great hunt.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
OP Offline
M
25 points

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow, you won the lottery!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Millerjj
25 points

Wow.

Good luck with your hunt, that's a good one.

Keep us posted.

Black Cows Matter!
M
OP Offline
M
Here is a pic of my dads bull from 201 last year.

Attached Images
IMG_0015 - Copy.PNG (84.36 KB, 365 downloads)
C
C
Hey Millerjj, I drew the "lottery" tag for 201 muzzleloader. I spent last Sunday and Monday scouting......can't wait for September!

"To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part" - Aldo Leopold
M
OP Offline
M
Did you see anything good?
Was you in the Diamond Peak or Middle Mountain area?

IC B3

C
C
It was the first time I had explored the area. Camped on the east side of Diamond Peak and looked at all sides of the peak via the ATV trails.

Had a herd of 70 or so cows, young spikes and calves on the ridge above us for two days. One raghorn bull with them.

We also ran the Cold Spring Montain Ridge. Saw one 6x6 and one 4x5 both in velvet on that side.

Didn't get to Middle Mountain, except to glass it from the area of the campground in between Diamond and Middle.

"To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part" - Aldo Leopold
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
don't discount the lower country in the cedars, especially if there is water in Little Joe.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Last few years that I was keeping a watch after my tag, a lot of elk were hanging in the head waters of Beaver Creek, West of Middle Mountain. Had a 1/2 dozen bulls on the north side of Diamond Peak.

Some elk were seen on top where the 4wd goes west and up from Irish Canyon,.

There was no water in Little Joe that year and I only called up 1 raghorn from west of there.

I finally killed an elk NW of Cold Springs tank on the block of BLM land

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Cedarvista or anyone else who's been on diamond peak,
Can you drive the ATV trails with a truck or are they truly ATV trails?
My buddy has a cow tag and was wondering whether or not to take a four wheeler?

Thanks

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd say about 1/2 and 1/2. The ones that are accessible for ATV only, you might not want to use them there as they are in prime elk country. The ATV would be good to get down into Little Joe basin.

One thing for sure about that country is to make sure you have darn good tires with a lot of tread. That sharp rock country can tear a tire up pretty quick

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and good skid plates are a must, on most of those goat trail roads...

R
R
Hi Guys,
New to the forum here. As DuckDog said I got a muzzy cow for 201 this year. Unlike most guys in 201 I'm not going for a trophy; just hoping to get my first elk this fall!

Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to scout it. I was planning to focus on Diamond and/or middle mountain for a cow. I'm debating if I should haul an ATV all the way out there. I'm planning to camp at Rocky Res campground between Diamond and Middle. Any access issues getting to it?

Any areas in particular to focus on for cows?

Any info you can pass along would be much appreciated and feel free to PM me as well.

Can't wait to get out there in a few weeks!
Thanks!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Try looking in the head waters of Beaver creek. That would be west of Antone Gap. Go down to the valley floor between Diamond Peak and Cold Springs Mtn. Then head west past Middle Mountain. There seems to be a reason the cows hang out there. There is a two track that cuts off from the main road that gets you up fairly high,but it is still a climb from there.

There is a lot nicer place to camp than that campground,It is on the road that passes thru Antone Gap.There is small dirt tank there and a nice green grassy area surrounded by aspens.It has been used in the past as a camp ground.

The back side of Diamond Peak might offer the best opportunity before a muzzy tag as it is a lot thicker than he wide open spaces.

Also look at the Wiggins block on the extreme west end of the unit.Right on the Utah line.It has some good cover.I might be off a little bit on that name.

Another area is where the 4wd road comes west up over to the east end of Cold Springs Mountain. It takes off in Irish Canyon. Cows seem to hang out there, right after you top off.

Just my personal opinion but each of these areas are a far piece part and most of those roads are pretty dusty when it is dry. I doubt if you would want to ride an ATV that far..Of course the flip side is if you get much moisture, that turns that dust into slick mud which is about the only issue.

The road up to the top of Cold Springs gets washed out pretty good in the first mile or so where it cuts off the main road.I could not pull my horse trailer up it

I have heard that the store that sells gas down in Browns Park has closed or stop selling gas, so you might want to bring extra in gas cans.Closest gas would be about 60 miles away then I think.

Figure out how to ice down the meat,it's toasty up there that early. My hunt was Oct 1 and it was 80 degrees.

You can get on the BLM web site and get GPS coordinates for all the corners of BLM land. I believe it was the Little Snake field office. They sure came in handy as all that land is checker boarded with private land. It's must to know that as an outfitter works that private land, and he isn't to friendly about others drifting on to the private land.

If you want some photos, pm me with your email address and I can forward some

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.