Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 149 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 148 149
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

I rely on the crack of a rifle to wake me up from my power nap and get ready for a possible chance at a missed buck. laugh

Or in my case, a possible chance to miss a buck. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I love the sound of rifle fire..... smile

It isn't deer season without it.

Same here. I love the crack of a rifle in the still woods. A muffler would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I rely on the crack of a rifle to wake me up from my power nap and get ready for a possible chance at a missed buck. laugh

That's happened to me too. laugh

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
More times than I can count over the past 40 years of deer hunting. I have noticed, that when I hear shots far away (1 mile +) from different directions over the course of 15-20 minutes. I observe deer movement. This comes usually after a long 2 hr lull
of no activity in the woods. The deer I'm observing are not moving because of the gunshots. It just alerts me of possible deer movement. If ya know what I mean.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the nice thing about rifle season. The gunshots tell you where things are happening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the nice thing about rifle season. The gunshots tell you where things are happening.

Sometimes. All it tells you is that someone took a shot at something. Given the PA hunter tendencies toward "sound shots", it might not tell you anything more than someone just spent a dollar or two.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect "sound shots" are more myth than reality. I know PA as well as anyone and haven't seen these supposed sound shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect "sound shots" are more myth than reality. I know PA as well as anyone and haven't seen these supposed sound shots.

Seen them by PA hunters in NY, MD, and VA; different people, different locations, different years. YMMV, obviously, but when a guy fires a box of ammo from the stand in a single day and says point blank that "I didn't see anything, but got off some good sound shots but don't think I hit anything", it's a pretty good indication of what he's doing. Never encountered it from hunters from any other state.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Haha! What they were doing was trying to keep you (or whoever they told that to) from horning in on their hunting spot. A fellow I hunted with a few time in a heavily hunted state forest area would tell that to anyone he saw in the woods close to his stand. He could do it with a straight face and was known to touch off a few rounds into the ground just to make it believable. I've said it a couple times but couldn't keep from laughin.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
Haha! What they were doing was trying to keep you (or whoever they told that to) from horning in on their hunting spot. A fellow I hunted with a few time in a heavily hunted state forest area would tell that to anyone he saw in the woods close to his stand. He could do it with a straight face and was known to touch off a few rounds into the ground just to make it believable. I've said it a couple times but couldn't keep from laughin.

Might have been the case for one of them, but not the other two. Both of them were....uninvited....from the premises and had a rather uncomfortable conversation with wardens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read a lot of stuff about PA hunters that makes me scratch my head. But I do come from a better part of PA. We have our certain counties in PA that are a running joke among the rest of us and I have zero doubt that a lot of this stuff is done by Pennsylvanians from those counties.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you guys are too good to take a sound shot?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I read a lot of stuff about PA hunters that makes me scratch my head. But I do come from a better part of PA. We have our certain counties in PA that are a running joke among the rest of us and I have zero doubt that a lot of this stuff is done by Pennsylvanians from those counties.

Good county/bad county? Be interesting to know which is which.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just got back from pump rifle land. We went to the ETAR traditional bow shoot at Denton Hill. There is no shortage of nice country in PA!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

The eastside jokes about Perry county and the westside jokes about Fayette. There are others but they are the tops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I just got back from pump rifle land. We went to the ETAR traditional bow shoot at Denton Hill. There is no shortage of nice country in PA!

It's very nice up that way!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Potter county would be one of our best when it comes to nice country.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue

The eastside jokes about Perry county and the westside jokes about Fayette. There are others but they are the tops.

The Fayette boys try to kill without making any noise.

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had one the best steaks I've had in recent memory in Coudersport Friday night. I hope they can eventually get the lifts running at Denton Hill again. It's too nice a facility to close.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Where did you get that steak Marc? I'm always looking for a good hunk of critter.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Otter,
The name of the place was Laurelwood Inn and Steakhouse. It's on the left side of 6 heading toward Denton Hill out of Coudersport. It don't look like much from the outside but the food is great and ladies working there are nice.

Page 37 of 149 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 148 149

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.